X1900xtx/x1950xt

Joe

Reaction score
I'm currently planning on building a new PC around Xmas.

Want:

Intel Conroe Core 2 Duo E6600
Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 memory
Samsung 250GB HDD
Antec 1050 SOHO Case w/500W power supply
Sony 16X DVD/RW
ASUS P5B Deluxe Motherboard

However, I'm undecided on a video card.

I'm a ATI fan, NOT INTERESTED in Nvidia.

I've narrowed it down to three.

There's the ASUS EAX1950XTX 512MB, the ASUS EAX1900XTX 512MB, or the ASUS EAX1950XT 256MB that I'm interested in.

Does on board memory have a significant effect on gameplay? How about GDDR3 as opposed to GDDR4?

Is the extra $100 worth it for the EAX1950XTX?

The first question you should ask yourself is this: do you really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a DX9 graphics card? Nvidia has DX10 cards out already, and ATI will soon.

Playing favorites with computer hardware isn't the smartest thing to do.

The first question you should ask yourself is this: do you really want to spend hundreds of dollars on a DX9 graphics card? Nvidia has DX10 cards out already, and ATI will soon.

Is the DX10 ATI card better than the Nvidia 8800? When it comes out.

Need something that's going to run Armed Assault well, and my 9800XT isn't cutting it.

Think the X1950XT makes the most sense for the moment. It's the cheapest of the 3, but has good performance.

Is the DX10 ATI card better than the Nvidia 8800? When it comes out.

Yes, the new ATI card is supposedly going to be better. How much better, I'm not sure.

Think the X1950XT makes the most sense for the moment.

I wouldn't say that a DX9 card makes sense for a gamer, considering that DX10 is already out. If you want the best deal for your money, either get a nvidia 8800 now, or wait and get the new ATI card when it comes out.

Yes, the new ATI card is supposedly going to be better. How much better, I'm not sure.

I wouldn't say that a DX9 card makes sense for a gamer, considering that DX10 is already out. If you want the best deal for your money, either get a nvidia 8800 now, or wait and get the new ATI card when it comes out.

Eh....

Waiting on the DX10 card from ATI could suck, depending upon when the ASUS version is released. Is there an ETA on it(R600 is it?)?

Suppose I could atleast order the majority of the components and maybe a X1950 pro to tide me over....

Argh....

Eh....

Waiting on the DX10 card from ATI could suck, depending upon when the ASUS version is released. Is there an ETA on it(R600 is it?)?

Suppose I could atleast order the majority of the components and maybe a X1950 pro to tide me over....

Argh....

So you won't buy Nvidia, and now you won't buy a video card unless it's made by Asus. Is it because of bad experiences with other companies, or what?

x1950xt 256mb for sure. It's cheaper, faster and more quiet than the x1900xtx, and it's only 2-5% slower than the x1950xtx, which costs a hell of a lot more. It's a better deal than any Nvidia card right now.

Stop the crap about the DX10 already. It's by far not a standard yet and it's far from the right time to upgrade to dx10.

Need something that's going to run Armed Assault well, and my 9800XT isn't cutting it.

Think the X1950XT makes the most sense for the moment. It's the cheapest of the 3, but has good performance.

Best bet is, upgrade to the x1950xt, best value out of the two and next year upgrade to DX10 once it becomes mainstream. Then the prices will be much lower and it wont be wallet rape when you buy one.
You can sexually abuse your games at the highest settings for 6 months until then!! woo \o/

So you won't buy Nvidia, and now you won't buy a video card unless it's made by Asus. Is it because of bad experiences with other companies, or what?

No,

I simply prefer to support companies that have produced quality products that have served me well. the ASUS 9800XT I have in my machine right now has been excellent. I feel it's only fair that because of my experience with them, to continue supporting them, not simply jumping to the next company because they get the newest gadget out first. :hmph:

Neptuneuk and The Brick:

Thank you, think I will be going with the 1950XT. Now, if christmas would just come a little sooner... :)

wow I've never seen anyone so committed to one company ...sure asus makes good vid cards but they're always more expensive ..for my money EVGA makes some of the best cards simply because overclocking doesnt void warrenty and it has a lifetime guarentee ...asus may have more stuff in the package but they're all running on the same hardware albeit with little tweaks here and there ...I too like Asus but if there's a beter/comparable product for less money I'll take it

oh and you can get a 8800 gts for about $50 more than a 1950xtx ..which blows it out of the water

well, let him do what he wants.....when his ati x1950xtx is barey able to play crysis and ut2007 because its a DX9 card - he'll realize he should have saved some cash and waited a month or two.....

lol he'll be fine. If he want double the performance for double the price, it's fine. It's a choice.

I think you're all overrating DX10 a bit. It's not like a magical 500% performance boost...

lol he'll be fine. If he want double the performance for double the price, it's fine. It's a choice.

I think you're all overrating DX10 a bit. It's not like a magical 500% performance boost...

well no, but I can remember when all the people with DX8 cards were furious that DX9 cards that were $100 cheaper ran HL2 a lot better........my friend had a FX5900 Ultra and he ended up "down-grading" to a 6600gt for better performance....

Yeah, but who needs logic and facts when you're an ATI fanboy? ;)

:rolleyes:

Take the patronizing attitude and stick it up your ass. You weren't asked to participate in this thread from the first post down if your intentions were to cry Nvidia at every corner. I made it clear I wasn't interested, and just wanted opinions regarding the aforementioned cards. Of course, that never stops the forum trolls from prancing into your threads, spouting off in the most egotistical-I-know-whats-best-for-you thought train they can come up with.

FWIW, I have no intention of diving in to the DX10 games regardless. The only games that keep my interest are the Half Life series and Armed Assault, both of which are DX9 games. Any other games I buy typically are good for one or two play throughs, and then they sit on my shelf for months until I get the rare urge to play through the single player again. So, dumping the extra cash for the latest ground breaking hardware for games that probably wouldn't get more then 2 play throughs isn't worth going to DX10 at this point.

I say hold off 6 months until DX10 cards are more common, thus less expensive. Plus by then you can just get Vista straight up and not worry about upgrading XP later on. PLUS all the Core Duo's will be cheaper then too... All in all there's select time points that are best for buying a new system. I built my rig last August and it's still good to go, running all games great. I haven't had the need to upgrade anything. I'll probably build another sometime in summer '07 which will last me until '09. If you buy now, especially a DX9 card, your just going to be upgrading in 6 months. Invest your $2000 in a six month CD yielding 5.5% and it will be like getting an X-fi for free.

Back