YOUR RESPONSE TO MY HAVING EXISTED

I didn't notice this thread until now, I'll respond with a query: what does it mean to exist? And just how many drinks have you had lol

I didn't notice this thread until now, I'll respond with a query: what does it mean to exist? And just how many drinks have you had lol

LOL. I've just finished off the last remnants of a bottle of wine (Walmart-bought, so cheap ersatz shit) but I'm thinking of what Heidegger talks about in Being and Time insofar as none of the philosophers in the Western tradition EVER got to what BEING meant and so sort of skated around it like it was an impenetrable center of an ice rink. Hamlet only got it half-right when he asked "to be or not to be" because really the only question is "to be." To be, in Heidegerrian terms, is essentially a combination of being-with and being-toward-death. We are not only "with" others but also our lives are INTIMATELY directed toward death (even though we never actually experience it). "Being-with" is a kind of love we share with others in the world, and our existence is a kind of balance between the my-self (the self that is away from distractions, from curiosity, from gossip) and the they-self (the self that is social, embedded in the social framework, "hears" and is interpellated by discourse). But our being-towards-death ACTUALIZES us to the extent that our existence is circumscribed by the very notion of our "my-self" that tells us that death will come. But, of course, how can death be an actual possibility of our existence if we never actually experience it?

O, never mind. It's so good to be back with you all *shakes your hands*

Also I've just realized this is the first thread I've made in eight years (one of my last threads, my good bloody God, garnered 300 replies).

*shakes*

Everyone has a brief time to make of life what they wish, with wide latitude, only to have it snatched away by death. Best to try to maximize happiness, whatever that may mean to the individual, while they have the chance.

There is high interest in longevity research, it's possible we could cure aging, making us essentially immortal, if we don't burn up the planet first. Of course that has its own practical and philosophical implications.

I agree with that: and I think, of course, that happiness is naturally individualized respective to each person. Some find it in books, others in video games, and still others in nature. I remember (and this is quite the nostalgic trip) my happiness was centered around visiting this site rather frequently back in the day to see what the veterans here were posting: I used to engage with Vegeta and Sheepo on such diverse topics as politics, games, etc.: I used to get told off by the older members here (and with good reason). I mean, even to an extent, though I've grown objectively as a person I still subjectively feel like a junior here (i.e., I still feel like I'm "belated" or trying to catch up with you all in terms of maturity/intellect etc.)

Know that y'all/you all were my influences and for that I'm grateful. My whole childhood is inextricably tied to this place, and I suppose, for the entirety of the rest of my "being" (that sounds rather confining) I'll be checking in here.

I wouldn't want to be immortal though, of course. I've gotten progressively more liberal over the years and am concerned with the future of this planet but I feel like dying is simply an essential aspect of being: we wouldn't be "humans" without it. Of course, I'm absolutely terrified of not "being" this person and losing all of my memories, my personality, my attributes but I suppose that fear is meant to guide us TOWARD something in our lives. I have ambitions that I'll either accomplish or miss, but I think that FEAR of death is, for some, a kind of call and a kind of notice that our time here is finite and that we have a limited window to do the things we want to do.

There is so much good discussion here, ranging from absurd to sublime. If you watch the bots at the current visitors page, you can find some long forgotten gems. I posted a few in the "if you post it" thread, mostly half-life related.

hello, missed you shem. heidegger is bullshit and a bad way to interpret reality

hello, missed you shem.

Missed you too en-you-ee.

heidegger is bullshit and a bad way to interpret reality

My professor at college (who's German, old, very old, and obsessed with Heidegger) would like a word with you.

I do find him intriguing but also I'll admit my experience of him is a skimming of the first hundred pages of Being and Time and his Stanford philosophy page.

Did I write this thread? ****, I did. Well, I might as well own up to it. Yes, it was me. I did this thread: and, in the interest of this forum's revival, feel free to use this as the secondary/alternative receptacle (c.f. Ennui's thread for the primary garbage disposal) for your inane shitposts (the which I will, undoubtedly, analyze with the scrutinizing eye of a scholar).

It is 8 something AM and I need to take a shit, all I know is that I love you bitch.

It is 8 something AM and I need to take a shit, all I know is that I love you bitch.

You too, mother****er. (O, that last word was scandalous; I got a tingle up my spine just saying it). Let me try once more: mother****er. O, there it goes!

You too, mother****er. (O, that last word was scandalous; I got a tingle up my spine just saying it). Let me try once more: mother****er. O, there it goes!
I am drunk as shit playing a mech fighter War Of The Monsters knock off on the PS4 called OverRide: Mech City Combat and need to piss so bad I could flood Israel and create The Ark 2.0 but I love your bitch ass so much I am creating a reply on this forum powered by XenForo. Bitch.

I am drunk as shit playing a mech fighter War Of The Monsters knock off on the PS4 called OverRide: Mech City Combat and need to piss so bad I could flood Israel and create The Ark 2.0 but I love your bitch ass so much I am creating a reply on this forum powered by XenForo. Bitch.

This made me smile. Play on, god damn it. I just drank today having checked my email for school: so far, so good. No angry emails from professors, nor were there too many emails asking me to check back with them on details. I had one or two; one from a friend, the other from the receptionist at a job. I'll respond to them tomorrow: it's just that I was dreading checking my email because of grades. Here we go.

This made me smile. Play on, god damn it. I just drank today having checked my email for school: so far, so good. No angry emails from professors, nor were there too many emails asking me to check back with them on details. I had one or two; one from a friend, the other from the receptionist at a job. I'll respond to them tomorrow: it's just that I was dreading checking my email because of grades. Here we go.
Don't worry much about it. Breathe, say **** it, move on to something else and repeat.

Don't worry much about it. Breathe, say **** it, move on to something else and repeat.

Thanks man, really. Things turned out all right: grades were good. Going to respond to some emails today.

Happy new decade, you beautiful son of a bitch.

Thanks man, really. Things turned out all right: grades were good. Going to respond to some emails today.

Happy new decade, you beautiful son of a bitch.
happy new to you, currently reenactting the plots of gremlins on a friend;s house

I have Leukemia so shit sucks right now.
At least I can die knowing HL3 is actually coming.
I'm married though so that's nice.

Back