15 answers to Creationist Nonsense - Scientific American

Is that your favorite word or something? "bigot" this and "bigot" that. Your a bigot, I'm a bigot, we're all bigots! :dozey:

Is argueing semantics your favourite pastime or something? You always go of course and ignore the arguement whenever you realise you have no comeback.

Believe it or not, I actually know a few Christians who believe in evolution to a certain degree. (and some who believed in it totally, saying nobody knows what Adam and Eve first looked like) They say this because, 'the word of God' was not meant to be a science book.

Sorry to burst your little bubble, but you cannot believe in evolution "to some degree". Its not open to interpretation, you can't pick and choose which parts you believe in. You either believe it, or you don't. And if you "believe it to a certain degree" then chances are you don't actually understand what it is actually about.

Oh, and I never meant to suggest that christians don't believe in evolution. I don't know about you guys over the pond, but I know here what few christians are left all believe in evolution. Creationism has no attention over here ;)

Bill hicks is needed in this thread imo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R370YkYhV0w

Because they think they have a higher power backing their views.

Because you think it matters one way or the other.

When the Bible talks of hellfire, it's not an "eternal punishment" in that you'll be suffering for all eternity. Your spirit is consumed utterly, you will no longer exist.

Basically this is how it works: God is perfect, He only allows other perfect beings in Heaven, unless you accept the "get out of jail free card" that is His Son's death. Everyone else goes bye bye. They no longer exist.

Anyway, the reason I don't go out and stone homosexuals is this: I am no longer bound by the law of the Old Testament. Any of it. I follow two commands: "Love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor as yourself".

Jesus and his disciples broke many of the OT laws, and the Pharisees were pretty pissed about it.

The law was basically in place to make a point: you can never be perfect enough by your own strength to get into heaven. That's why we were given the alternative, Jesus Christ.

Anyway, I can go into more detail if anyone's interested, the school I'm going to offers courses on it and I've taken a few.

:|......:LOL:

...since when did any you people conduct yourselves in a reasonable and rational fashion?

I'm sorry, I must've been looking for a website about "carnivals" this whole time.

Attacking other people is not considered a valid response or a defense. Saturos, face facts; you are a racist homophobe without an ounce of common sense.

When the Bible talks of hellfire, it's not an "eternal punishment" in that you'll be suffering for all eternity. Your spirit is consumed utterly, you will no longer exist.

Basically this is how it works: God is perfect, He only allows other perfect beings in Heaven, unless you accept the "get out of jail free card" that is His Son's death. Everyone else goes bye bye. They no longer exist.

You know, even if he does exist, there's no way I'd approve of, let alone believe in, somebody who's such a great big dick.

Because killing people permanently is, unlike damnation, entirely moral!

Also, Saturos gets a trolling infraction.
Seems I've been away too long.

Punishment for wrongdoing. It's what atheists believe in as an afterlife anyway, so y'all should be quite content.
You know, even if he does exist, there's no way I'd approve of, let alone believe in, somebody who's such a great big dick.
What's so dick-ish about giving simple rules to follow and then punishing people for breaking them?

Actually, you're right. He should allow you to do whatever the hell you want. I mean seriously, it's not like He'll forgive EVERYTHING you do. It's not like He cares for you and wants what's best for you. And it's not like He sent His Son, who was in His very nature God Himself, to die a horrible, painful death on your behalf. You're right, He's a royal douchebag.

Good-bye, free-will!

If you can deal with a big beard in the sky looking down on you and telling you what to do, fine by you. I like to make my own choices.

Well, no - under that worldview you'd still have free will. You'd just choose a religious path. The question of free will is a seperate debate.

Also, Saturos gets a trolling infraction.
Seems I've been away too long.

Awesome!

Anyway, I had sex with a guy. It was great. And God didn't punish me.

...YET!

Well, no - under that worldview you'd still have free will. You'd just choose a religious path. The question of free will is a seperate debate.

Not "Free will" free will. More, "Do as god tells you or else" free will.

Or something.

You know what I mean.

you believe in the commandments? post which of the 10 commandments that says "thou shall not bury your burritto in someone elses cornhole"

here's some clear cut new testament jesus words to live by

"judge not lest ye be judged"

"Whatever you do for the least of these my brothers, you do it to me"

those that fail in treatiing all men as equals will recieve this:

so if you condemn homosexuals you are burning in everlasting hell

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25:31-46

Do state where i started condemning homosexuals |:
Stern, the commandments was just my way of saying that the other books were dated, sheesh.
Also Solaris, Jesus did indeed live, everything is in history, its just up to you to decide whether he is God or not. I shall not tell you how to live your life.

Depends on what sect of Christianity one believes.

I never knew that. We were always (as children) exposed to the story of Jesus being God's son who was sent from heaven for half a dozen rolls and a pint of milk.

My mind always drifted in school.

I never knew that. We were always (as children) exposed to the story of Jesus being God's son who was sent from heaven for half a dozen rolls and a pint of milk.

My mind always drifted in school.
5char

Jesus wasn't God.

If i am not wrong, the Orthodox do not believe in the Holy Trinity(Correct me if im wrong). They believe that Jesus, God And the Holy Spirit are different people.
Most denominations believe that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one in all.

Punishment for wrongdoing. It's what atheists believe in as an afterlife anyway, so y'all should be quite content.
Except atheists don't believe there's a choice.

The world is flooding. You have a boat. But you won't let some people on, because they didn't follow a system of arbitrary rules that you only made known to a tiny proportion of them. ASSHOLE.

Here's an incomplete list of people who God never bothered to contact (save through his European servants, violently, far after too many people would have died and been damned): Confucianists, Mesoamericans, native north americans, Africans, Australian aborigines, Inuits and Eskimos, Shintoists, Buddhists.

Not only did God subject the entire world to a system of arbitrary rules, on pain of permanent death (when he had the capability to save them all) - not only did he say "believe in me, or you die forever" - but he failed to say this to the vast majority of human beings that ever lived. He's so damn powerful - why did he restrict his soul-saving insights to a small proportion of human life? Not to mention all the other dudes that belief in a One God but don't happen to believe its yours - they damned too? ASSHOLE.

And further, isn't punishment - even justice - an idiotic concept? What is gained when you punish a murderer? Your emotional satisfaction, perhaps, but nothing else. The only sensible reason for us executing our criminals or putting them in jail is that it's the only reasonable way of making sure society is protected from them (and it has problems anyway). We don't - or shouldn't - punish people for the sake of punishment, because they 'deserve it'. We do - or should - only take those measures against people which will prevent them from ever being a bother in the future. If we had the capability to keep the criminal safely apart from society, I'm not sure there'd be any point inflicting any pain on them. But God does have that capability. He's all-powerful. And yet he systematically denies an afterlife to millions of people. For what? For revenge, for them refusing or not being able to believe in this petty, jealous God. ASSHOLE.

Then there's the argument that I don't expect you to bother answering reasonably. If it's so essential to believe in God, why is it so difficult in this modern age for any rational person to do so? I'm sure you'll say that it's a matter of faith, that if you want to believe in God you will, but when most current evidence points against the Bible being truthful, I don't see why anybody should be expected to make a leap beyond the facts. God expects people to ignore the real world and believe in fantasies that have already been discredited. ASSHOLE.

God does give people "simple rules to follow". God allows a proliferation of millions of other religious forms, allows several other massive and similar (but not identical) monotheistic religions; God allows the division of his children into sects and denominations, Orthodox, Catholic, Lutherite, Baptist, and within those sects and denominations he allows numerous arguments and debates over a holy book that is not simply unambiguous, and whose composition is clearly influenced by historical power concerns. Which myth is true? No sign from God. ASSHOLE.

God sets himself up as the eternal authority, and gives people no choice in the matter. He claims to give individuals responsibility and authority over their own fates, but actually they act under duress; if they don't do the 'right' thing, they will die forever. He gives no responsibility or authority to humanity generally, since they do not have the right to govern themselves, make their own rules, and are not accorded any trust that they would be capable of running their own affairs. ONLY HE CAN RULE THE WORLD. And he's done a bang-up job so far, amirite?

I wish I could believe in this lovely teddybear God who truly cares for everybody, is forgiving, and is really a genuinely nice eternal being. Unfortunately, even if we assume the existence of a godforce, the evidence points to him being an absolute dickwad.

And hey - it was nice of him to die and suffer on the cross for us. But millions of individuals throughout history have died and suffered in similar ways - many of them at the hands of the servants of God. I guess it's cool of him to show that he's willing to taste his own medicine.

- Sulkdodds, being an asshole.

Do state where i started condemning homosexuals |:

point out where I said you were condemning homosexuals? well, you should be condemning them, in fact you should be killing them, god commands it:

"If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." - Leviticus 20:13

Stern, the commandments was just my way of saying that the other books were dated, sheesh.

dated? the whole thing is "dated" and as to the laws found within this "dated" portion of a dated book:

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets[old testament]; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them." Matthew 5:17.

^ Jesus saying that the old testament laws are to be upheld therefore you must kill the homosexuals

only a fanatic would listen to this and perhaps carry out god's very clear cut edict (kill the homosexuals). Rational christians have no choice but to ignore this very precise commandment from god or face being charged with murder . So they use the first part of that commanment to prove that god thinks that the gay is sinful but then ignore what god's final solution: kill and slaughter the homosexuals. I'm pretty sure there's a commandment that says something to effect of "thou shalt listen to what I be saying or face eternal hellfire". So it's either kill the homosexuals (which god saw and said that it was good) or burn in everlasting eternal forever burning and flaming flames for disobeying god

"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets[old testament]; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them." Matthew 5:17.
Wait, is all this stuff you've been quoting from the King James version? Or the "New Age, fire and brimstone, kill everyone to prove your loyalty" version? The latter would be the incorrect "revised" version.

Sat, I think you'll find it won't matter what version. Look up a verse on bible.cc and you can get 14 different versions of all the verses of the bible. Do the work, read up on all these nice things; Matthew 10:34, Luke 19:27, Leviticus 20:13.... I didn't see any changes in the meaning of all the niceties of the bible across the different ranges of bibles available.

Wait, is all this stuff you've been quoting from the King James version? Or the "New Age, fire and brimstone, kill everyone to prove your loyalty" version? The latter would be the incorrect "revised" version.

well then how can it be the word of god if it's the "revised" edition? isnt it a revised edition of a revised edition of the official revised edition of a collection of stories that were eventually separated into chapters and bound in a book ..which was then revised several times etc

..if it's all open to interpretation then how can anyone ever argue that any of it is real? ..it's open to interpretation

"god made the heavesn and the earth" ..that could mean he made oxygen and dirt or it could mean he created

heavens:

Victoria_s_Secret_f_122811a.jpg

and the earth ..wind and fire

pic1_159.jpg

jesus died on the cross

whiteboard.jpg

or jesus died on the cross

"a rabbi, a priest and the pope are all in a canoe and ..."

laughing-jesus.jpg

Jesus saves:

1jesus_saves.jpg

or Jesus saves

jesussaveslarge.jpg

it's all open to interpretation

I looked some of them up; the ones I looked up could be found on the King James version.

And Sulk? Thanks for saying everything I was thinking.

Except atheists don't believe there's a choice.

The world is flooding. You have a boat. But you won't let some people on, because they didn't follow a system of arbitrary rules that you only made known to a tiny proportion of them. ASSHOLE.

Here's an incomplete list of people who God never bothered to contact (save through his European servants, violently, far after too many people would have died and been damned): Confucianists, Mesoamericans, native north americans, Africans, Australian aborigines, Inuits and Eskimos, Shintoists, Buddhists.

Not only did God subject the entire world to a system of arbitrary rules, on pain of permanent death (when he had the capability to save them all) - not only did he say "believe in me, or you die forever" - but he failed to say this to the vast majority of human beings that ever lived. He's so damn powerful - why did he restrict his soul-saving insights to a small proportion of human life? Not to mention all the other dudes that belief in a One God but don't happen to believe its yours - they damned too? ASSHOLE.

And further, isn't punishment - even justice - an idiotic concept? What is gained when you punish a murderer? Your emotional satisfaction, perhaps, but nothing else. The only sensible reason for us executing our criminals or putting them in jail is that it's the only reasonable way of making sure society is protected from them (and it has problems anyway). We don't - or shouldn't - punish people for the sake of punishment, because they 'deserve it'. We do - or should - only take those measures against people which will prevent them from ever being a bother in the future. If we had the capability to keep the criminal safely apart from society, I'm not sure there'd be any point inflicting any pain on them. But God does have that capability. He's all-powerful. And yet he systematically denies an afterlife to millions of people. For what? For revenge, for them refusing or not being able to believe in this petty, jealous God. ASSHOLE.

Then there's the argument that I don't expect you to bother answering reasonably. If it's so essential to believe in God, why is it so difficult in this modern age for any rational person to do so? I'm sure you'll say that it's a matter of faith, that if you want to believe in God you will, but when most current evidence points against the Bible being truthful, I don't see why anybody should be expected to make a leap beyond the facts. God expects people to ignore the real world and believe in fantasies that have already been discredited. ASSHOLE.

God does give people "simple rules to follow". God allows a proliferation of millions of other religious forms, allows several other massive and similar (but not identical) monotheistic religions; God allows the division of his children into sects and denominations, Orthodox, Catholic, Lutherite, Baptist, and within those sects and denominations he allows numerous arguments and debates over a holy book that is not simply unambiguous, and whose composition is clearly influenced by historical power concerns. Which myth is true? No sign from God. ASSHOLE.

God sets himself up as the eternal authority, and gives people no choice in the matter. He claims to give individuals responsibility and authority over their own fates, but actually they act under duress; if they don't do the 'right' thing, they will die forever. He gives no responsibility or authority to humanity generally, since they do not have the right to govern themselves, make their own rules, and are not accorded any trust that they would be capable of running their own affairs. ONLY HE CAN RULE THE WORLD. And he's done a bang-up job so far, amirite?

I wish I could believe in this lovely teddybear God who truly cares for everybody, is forgiving, and is really a genuinely nice eternal being. Unfortunately, even if we assume the existence of a godforce, the evidence points to him being an absolute dickwad.

And hey - it was nice of him to die and suffer on the cross for us. But millions of individuals throughout history have died and suffered in similar ways - many of them at the hands of the servants of God. I guess it's cool of him to show that he's willing to taste his own medicine.

- Sulkdodds, being an asshole.

Don't forget that god is ultimately responsible for everyones choices in life. He is all-powerful and all-knowing so he created the way everyones brain works. He is all-knowing so when he did this he knew every choice and every event that would happen in that persons life. So basically he created people that he knew would burn in hell. How nice of him.

Back