2.4 million Burning Crusades sold in 24 hours

Yeah that IS quite...oh i dont care, sorry.

When you take a game that is played by millions and don't raise the level cap for two years, this will happen.

They must be laughing their asses off, I mean really, they must be all filthy rich and have champagne dispensers by now.

How do I join? :D

so that's like a million copies sold every hour

Blizzard must be making tens of millions from WoW. How many subscribers does it have?

That's nearly what GoW brought in over 3 months :|

If there wasn't a level cap increase not as many people would have bought it but that would have been silly. Release an expansion every few years and throw in a few character levels. Continuous cash flow guaranteed.

They make about 65 million a month!! WTF do you do with that much money :|

blizzard employees should be cleaning theyr asses whit more money that us

one of the people I know from Counter-Strike gaming has a sister that helped develop WoW,she got a 100000 check last year.

25% of my guild is already at 70 or nearing it. Power levelers are scary. It's going to at least take me two more weeks, and that's if I put some back into it.

7 million.

So, about ?60 million a month.
Nope Blizzard gave a press release that they have 8 million subscribers.

Pretty huge seller that's for sure, had it have been full priced the total would have almost broken Halo 2's record. Probably end up with double that sales wise anyway.

We have a 60 Paladin in our guild already. I'm only level 66, he could possibly ding 70 before me :eek:

WoW:TBC is ace, if you like WoW then WoW:TBC isn't 'just' another way for Blizzard to make money. It really adds to the game imo. I don't care that it cost me ?25, if a company makes decent games, they deserve to be rich..afterall, thats all they're out to do. No company 'likes' to break even, or be worse of.

I hear the devil is pretty pissed. You know with WoW beating him in souls captured.

I'm just about to make level 51 for the first time with my main character. Its taken me two years to get to this point, and i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw a level 51 Draenei Shaman riding an Ellek. I cannot believe someone could level that fast. Ridiculous.

Two years? Well yeah, that guy's fast. But you're slow!

I'm loving BC. Not going very fast however, I have a 63 lock with ~300 Jewelcrafting (that cost a pretty penny or 500), and a 30 BE pally I'll get around to finishing eventually. Once my lock is up a bit, I'll play my 58 mage up a bit to see if I like him. Outland is easily the easiest leveling (overall) since the combination of Redridge/Duskwood, or mid-STV if you're familiar with it already and good at PVP.

New areas are really great. I mean come on, there's an entire zone dedicated to the awesomeness of mushrooms. Not kidding.

Dayumn. Quickest selling expansion ever? And forseeably best overall?

Only in Zangarmarsh at the moment, but so far the entire expansion reeks of quality control. This wasn't some slackjob. I still think making the formerly faction-specific classes available to both sides was a cheap quickfix to some balance issues, but whatever.

Only in Zangarmarsh at the moment, but so far the entire expansion reeks of quality control. This wasn't some slackjob. I still think making the formerly faction-specific classes available to both sides was a cheap quickfix to some balance issues, but whatever.

I agree completely. In a year filled with few quality games this was heaven ( yeah, I know ti waws realised in 2007 but still...)

They make about 65 million a month!! WTF do you do with that much money :|

If you take into consideration server running costs, constant weekly maintenance (witch is, granted, shit and never works), staff payments all over the US and Europe. Development costs, bonuses, blah blah blah and blah.

65million a month? Might NOT actually be as much profit as you think.

On the otherhand, they COULD be wiping their asses with money right now haha.

If you take into consideration server running costs, constant weekly maintenance (witch is, granted, shit and never works), staff payments all over the US and Europe. Development costs, bonuses, blah blah blah and blah.

65million a month? Might NOT actually be as much profit as you think.

On the otherhand, they COULD be wiping their asses with money right now haha.

Be serious. All the expenses you listed are tiny compared to that cashflow. It costs USD 10M to create a decent pc-game over 2 years. It does _not_ cost double figure millions a month to administer WOW.

.bog.

Yeah, it wouldn't even be close to that much. They are rolling in it tbh. Don't blame them :p I'd love that much money over a year, heck even 10, 20 years or even my lifetime. They get it in a month. :(

Be serious. All the expenses you listed are tiny compared to that cashflow. It costs USD 10M to create a decent pc-game over 2 years. It does _not_ cost double figure millions a month to administer WOW.

.bog.

If it didn't cost that much to run an MMO, they wouldn't charge for it monthly. I agree that they won't put 65 million into company expenses a month, but i bet they reach a fair few million a month in expenses. You pay what? ?30 a month for a CS server. It's rumoured WoW servers hold upto 2500 at any one time and ALOT of servers are full. There is probably around 130 EU servers (i haven't counted and i can't be arsed either) then all the US ones and the Korean ones (and i bet there is a hell of alot of Korean ones). Blizzard don't own the internet either, they have to pay for bandwidth and a worldwide company has alot of staff, who are probably on average 25'000+ a month just for a ordinary job.

Also, Blizzard only makes as much profit as its customers let them. I'm sure everybody knew it would be successful, but not to such a massive extent. 8 million subscribers with monthly fees? Even when taking into account server maintenance and things like that, that is still truckloads of cash. Earned rightfully, in my opinion.

Yeah, it's still tons and tons of paper money, but it's not like that's a bad thing. They made a game that is played by millions, therefore they deserve said money.

If it didn't cost that much to run an MMO, they wouldn't charge for it monthly.

What kind of logic is this? If people are willing to give them money on a monthly basis blizzard will happily accept those monies. The point is that the idea of monthly payments in the USD 10 range is based on mmorpgs that have as few as tens of thousands playing regularly. When the player base rockets past the million mark the profits rocket past the billion mark.

The whole concept of the mmorpg is to make people pay more money to play games, and wow has been overly successful in that regard.

I'm not slamming the game or the genre (although I am not caught up in it), I'm just correcting the assumption that Blizzard might need more than half a billion dollars a year to run wow.

.bog.

I want to know what kind of hardware their newer servers are running >=) They must cost a pretty penny.

Heh, more life for addicted geeks, less decent games from Blizzard for normal geeks.

Can someone explain to me why I have to pay $20 for WoW and then pay them $10 a month on top of that? That stuff really irks me...

I agree they deserve the money they get. They made the game, turned out to be a huge hit. GG tbh.

Though I haven't played WoW. I know I would love it to bits, I just dont want my life to disappear.

Can someone explain to me why I have to pay $20 for WoW and then pay them $10 a month on top of that? That stuff really irks me...

Server maintenance, content updates, incessant bug fixing and balancing issues, and maintaining many, many persistent online worlds.

Back