2700 Poly?

xC4RN4G3x

Reaction score
2700 polys too high for a gun model? Also, how many polys can I expect to reduce after optimizing my gun (deleting vertexes/faces where the mirror image and the original gun come togethor) ?

Performance and Budgets

HL2 Polycounts:

Soldiers: 4682
Police: 3852
Resistance: 4976
Zombie: 4290
Helicopter: 6415
Strider: 6444
Alyx: 8323

There are no fixed rules in determining how many polygons you use in your model, or how much texture resolution you’ll use in your materials. There are upper limits of engine capability, (25,000 polygons/model and 2048 texture size) but these aren’t usually going to be what you’re shooting for. You’ll need to consider how many of the character, vehicle, or prop you’re making will be on screen. If you’d like dozens of them on screen at any given time, you’ll have a different budget than if you’d only like to see one of them ever on screen at a time. With humanoid characters, especially for multiplayer use, you shouldn’t need to go over 4000 polygons to get a character that has enough detail to accurately describe the form, bend properly at the joints, and have enough edges to light properly. Of course you can have more than that, but with normal mapping, and high res textures, you shouldn’t really need to. One good thing about working in XSI is that you can keep your model as quads and have clearly organized edges (edge loops) that define the shape, with this sort of a model, it is easy to add and dissolve edges, especially since the UV coordinates are preserved and you can easily re-envelope your mesh with saved vertex weights. Discreet levels of detail are supported in the Source engine and can drastically improve scene rendering speed.

Found this here

-NSF

Ummmmmm....those are character models. What I meant was the ingame gun model (like at the side of ur screen). :(

for hl2 2700 polys is a good number for a view weapon model.

xC4RN4G3x said:
Ummmmmm....those are character models. What I meant was the ingame gun model (like at the side of ur screen). :(

Did you read the paragraph?

It says theres really no number, it depends on what its for, and what it is, but 2700 is great for a weapon model.

-NSF

i'm gonna smooth it out first. then people can tell me whats wrong with my model and i'll fix it. and last i'll optimize it :)

Nonsense.
Just don't go above 200 million poly's.

^^jibberish :p

Just try to keep in the detail that you think is necessary and that the client will notice that it is missing.

Back