2Fort Scenario Solution?

mastapenguin

Reaction score
Picture this:
Enemy intelligence room, 2 ridiculously paranoid engineers, 2 dispensers, 2 sentries on opposite sides of the room. If you're REALLY unlucky, then there's also a couple teleporters leading directly to the resupply and back. I'm sure you've seen it before.

In the absence of an uber heavy, how do you deal with this with only 1 or 2 people? Does it basically require a carefully coordinate 3 person attack? What if you're hurt and their aim is good?

This sort of setup always defeats me, and no matter how much our team dominates theirs, it inevitably goes into overtime. With the same camping engineers.

1 person just can't do it. If you have 2 people, the obvious tactic would be to have some kind of uber combo. What's to stop you using a heavy? Having said that a soldier or demo would be just as good.

Another possible option would be to have a (skilled) spy. Regardless of how paranoid the engies are, it would be hard for them to kill him before he could sap both sentries. That gives any offensive class waiting in the corridor a tiny window of opportunity to get in and finish the sg's while the engies are trying to wrench off the sappers.

You might even have a chance as one person going demo and laying stickies close enough to each sentry to blow them. If the engineers don't suck, however, they'll come out and mess you up with shotguns.

The thing about uber combo is that its very situational. You require a medic, he has to have uber ready, and he can't have used it on the way in. If he doesn't have uber, you basically sit around waiting while the engies call the rest of the team down on your behinds.

I just learned that demo can charge their stickies. :eek: I'll have to try that next time.

The sticky charging only changes the distance they go (just in case you thought it makes them more powerful). Just be aware that any smart engineer will pull out their shotgun as soon as they see the stickies start to land, so get ready to switch to the nade launcher.

I thought it over and maybe you could manage that kind of situation with 2 of any good anti-sg class, too. For example 2 soldiers dodging in and out of cover and piling the damage onto one sg, then the next.

Add a paranoid pyro or Heavy running around that Intel area and you've got yourself a stalemate. :/

Quite simple, when a soldier or demoman, use 'splash damage' to hit the sentry, equitment and people without hitting them, for example...

Sentry is in corner towards coffee room, you can't run in cause you'll die, you team mates are held up at the bridge and your on your own. Just poke round the corner so you can just see the edge of the gun, shoot the floor, the engy will run over to repair, but he gets damaged too :D

A Uber combo isn't as spontaneous as you describe it - When I'm sol offense in 2fort, I meet up with a medic around our base, and help him charge the uber. I also make sure he makes it safe with me all the way to the intel room, coordinating moves with him on the way, making sure he always knows where to go so he's safe.

Then it's a much higher chance of being at the intel room with Uber.

It's also good to have him go in first and attract the fire so you can kill the engineers as soon as possible.

Then you pull out and take the sentries out one by one, and start the long journey home.

You'll want a Soldier+ Medic/Spy or a Scout/Pyro + Spy.

With a Spy you cloak, run in, decloak at the back of the room behind the Engies (they should be looking at the doorways). If you can get your partner(s) to shoot a lot to make a lot of noise to muffle the 'decloak' sound, all the better. When the Spy decloaks he saps everything he can, if he can only get to one sentry before one of the Engies start shotgunning him, recloak immediately and decloak to sap once more.

While the Spy is causing havoc, the Soldier/Scout can move closer in to the compromised sentry and shoot it to speed up the sapping process or destroy the sentry outright. Rinse/repeat on the 2nd sentry.

This tactic won't work on sensible Engies (for example, in that situation I'd just leave my sentry to get sapped and focus on killing the Spy), but most Engies are really crap in combat and couldn't track a cloaking Spy to save their life, hence the need for turrets/aimbots! :p

---

With a Medic and Soldier, the Soldier just shoots the sentries and gets healed back up with any hits he takes. 1 Engy alone cannot out-repair 4 direct rocket hits (if you get a crit it's a walkover), so it's a good idea to split your fire on the first volley between the sentries to split up the Engies. When one has left the other to repair alone, you can now just tear into the sentry of your choice. Also, taking sentry gun fire will let you uber up very quickly, but you should save uber for if the other team attacks the Medic from behind, it won't really help that much against the turrets in this situation.

If the Engies are particularly skilful, focus your fire on the dispensers and they'll run out of repair metal quickly, whereas your Medic will not run out of healy gun. The main thing is the Medic needs to watch the back and start shooting immediately he sees anyone. He may not do much damage but the shooting is more of an audio cue for the Soldier that he needs to turn round and do what Soldiers do best.

---

As someone mentioned, if they have a Pyro in there as well it's actually near impossible. That's why 2Fort sux.

If the sentries are in opposite corners, you should be able to get a LOS to one avoiding the other one. Get a spy to sap the hell out of it while a soldier or whatever blasts it until it goes down. The spy will most likely die, but the sentry is down.

Uber demo = dead sentries. Shoot three-five stickies, run away, have medic save uber. Detonate. Do the same for the other. Win.

By the way, fun fact I just discovered yesterday: a medic can stop ubering - and keep what they have left - by switching away from the medigun. Perfectly suited to Pitz's tactic there.

Unless that's what he was talking about, and this is a widely-known thing, in which case I'm just dumb. :D

By the way, fun fact I just discovered yesterday: a medic can stop ubering - and keep what they have left - by switching away from the medigun. Perfectly suited to Pitz's tactic there.

Unless that's what he was talking about, and this is a widely-known thing, in which case I'm just dumb. :D

It's widely known :p

Picture this:
Enemy intelligence room, 2 ridiculously paranoid engineers, 2 dispensers, 2 sentries on opposite sides of the room. If you're REALLY unlucky, then there's also a couple teleporters leading directly to the resupply and back. I'm sure you've seen it before.

In the absence of an uber heavy, how do you deal with this with only 1 or 2 people? Does it basically require a carefully coordinate 3 person attack? What if you're hurt and their aim is good?

This sort of setup always defeats me, and no matter how much our team dominates theirs, it inevitably goes into overtime. With the same camping engineers.

One word.

Soldier. No matter how many engineers you put in that room, if it's just engineers and sentry guns, a single soldier can take them all down without dying once.

Or a demoman, but a soldier is simply better at it.

One word.

Soldier. No matter how many engineers you put in that room, if it's just engineers and sentry guns, a single soldier can take them all down without dying once.

Or a demoman, but a soldier is simply better at it.

2 engies on 1 sentry make it tough for the soldier. As a demo, you can pile the stickies for insta-death!

2 engies on 1 sentry make it tough for the soldier. As a demo, you can pile the stickies for insta-death!

Kill the engies before the sentry :p Splash damage against the wall or floor, takes out them and the dispenser. You generally need 4 good hits with a Soldier, but a soldier is more capable of defending himself than a demoman is if the engineers run out and attack him.

Kill the engies before the sentry :p Splash damage against the wall or floor, takes out them and the dispenser. You generally need 4 good hits with a Soldier, but a soldier is more capable of defending himself than a demoman is if the engineers run out and attack him.

I've never had an issue with engies. What nub demoman are you talking to? :LOL:

Lol, I usually give myself a fail safe in a sense. Put 2 stickies on the wall so that if they chase me, I just retreat, and blow them when they round the corner.

Lol, I usually give myself a fail safe in a sense. Put 2 stickies on the wall so that if they chase me, I just retreat, and blow them when they round the corner.

I used to do that. Now I feel I've gotten proficient enough where I can nail most moving targets with a contact grenade.

While a demoman may be more limited in defending himself, I find that a soldier's rockets can be easily healed/repaired through so long as the engineer weaves in and out when appropriate. If a demoman lands three stickies by the turret, you're at least guaranteed to take the turret out, if not the engie along with it.

I used to do that. Now I feel I've gotten proficient enough where I can nail most moving targets with a contact grenade.

While a demoman may be more limited in defending himself, I find that a soldier's rockets can be easily healed/repaired through so long as the engineer weaves in and out when appropriate. If a demoman lands three stickies by the turret, you're at least guaranteed to take the turret out, if not the engie along with it.

Unless they shoot one away :(

Well, then you rape them.

Seriously, do I always have to remind you of the basics?

With 3 men, I would go for a demo rush. At worse, you should have the sentrys and dispensers down before you die. Then rush with spys/soldiers before they can rebuild beyond tech 2 sentrys. Soldiers deal with the engineers, spy kills the structures.

You can try the soldier/spy rush to start with, but if the engineers are that paranoid, the soldiers may struggle to take them out before the sentrys get them.

I was actually caught as one of the engineers in this exact same situation back in the beta. Got owned when a spy sapped both our turrets just as two of his friends, a heavy and a soldier, rounded the corner.

Back