A card 2x! faster than ATI radeon 9800

simmo

Tank
Reaction score
*sigh*, whats the point in buying an ati radeon 9800, and a new one comes out!, I find that annoying, anyway heres the Linkage

Yeah whats even more annoying (well not for me) is that it could be using PCI express - so you'll have to fork out for a new mobo and stuff to use it

Yup, 2x faster than the 9800 is crazy, isn't it? Would be perfect if were released in Sept.

Oh and already posted, Simmo. :)

Originally posted by Murray_H
Yeah whats even more annoying (well not for me) is that it could be using PCI express - so you'll have to fork out for a new mobo and stuff to use it
...graphics cards based on the new VPU will be equipped with a special PCI Express-to-AGP bridge. Hopefully, the bridge will work fine and will not limit performance of the final products.

Source: http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20030613165043.html

Hmm suppose i should actually read the whole article :dork:

Anybody got any info on PCI express? I'm getting a PC for my b-day next April, will this feature be available by then?

"The new design is expected to premiere at this years Comdex show in November but shouldn't hit store shelves before early 2004."

The card is not yet released, and that's the point. It will be out (if the date is respected) in 6 months minimum !

You have to buy the good hardware at the good moment.
One of my rule is to update once the last hardware is two times more powerfull than my old hardware.

If this card is good though, maybe I can postpone blowing 400$ on a top-end Radeon now, and get it when it comes later.

Yes, the card will be 2 times faster, however not only is it worthless, but it wont fully be supported for a while. And most games today, and in the near future have no use for a card 2 times as fast. Good to have for years (many) from now? Yes. Good for todays games? Hardly. A Geforce FX5900 or Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb/256mb will be more than enough, and you won't even notice a difference in speed should you decide to waste your money on the new card when it comes out.

Originally posted by Murray_H
Anybody got any info on PCI express? I'm getting a PC for my b-day next April, will this feature be available by then?
It might show up in independent motherboards but probably won't be widely available till late 2004. The first ones will be combo PCI/PCI express.

I found a good article on this. If I can refind it I'll post.

Two major changes is a move from parallel to serial and much faster. PCI and AGP are based upon many pins simultaneously sending data.

(theoretical throughputs)
PCI 32bits/hz @ 33Mhz = 133Mbytes/sec (~80 pins)
AGP(2x) 32bits/hz @ 2x66Mhz = 533Mbytes/sec (~100 pins)
AGP(4x) 32bits/hz @ 4x66Mhz = 1066Mbytes/sec(~100 pins)
AGP(8x) 32bits/hz @ 8x66Mhz = 2133Mbytes/sec(~100 pins)

PCI Express 1bit/hz @ 2.4Ghz = ~200Mbytes/sec (i remember them saying it was 200 per pair of pins, nice & round #, don't know how they came to that # though; there is overhead in serial comms so you don't get 100% data. PCI & AGP use other pins for control)

The PCI Express (which is not PCI-X;there are a bunch of PCI's now) can stack pins, 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, etc. So a 32 pin (16 in each direction) setup would have about 3200Mbytes throughput but have a much smaller interface than the AGP.

The best thing is you can have PCIExpress devices outside the PC. The external cable could be either 5 ft or 5 meters and support those high speeds.

and you won't even notice a difference in speed should you decide to waste your money on the new card when it comes out.

Oh yes, because after 2003, they will stop making games entirely.

Guh-duh....

Valve is even floaitng the idea that they will release updated high res content when there is hardware available enough to play it on.

yup. so when they release a 512 mb card then Valve will fix a update for the game (in the form off higher reso models, higher reso textures, higher quality sound etc.) so it uses the extra memmory and specs

and also when DX10 comes then they will add extra shaders or will change existing ones so that they utilize DX10

Originally posted by EVIL
yup. so when they release a 512 mb card then Valve will fix a update for the game (in the form off higher reso models, higher reso textures, higher quality sound etc.) so it uses the extra memmory and specs

and also when DX10 comes then they will add extra shaders or will change existing ones so that they utilize DX10

Nice.

When they'r saying "two times faster" it could also mean that it has 2 times better performance, not just that it has a two times faster core or two times faster memory. But given the thought that it will be built ona 0.13 process it might mean that to. But they must think about the cost of making it, so a guess is that the core and memory speeds won't be that much higher, maybe a 500 coren and 400 on the mem. That wich will be the biggest improvments and the things that will increase performance the most would be the desing and layout if the card, transistors etc etc.
You know what I mean?

(sorry for my somewhat dissy writing)

every processor says that they are 2 times faste.. the FX5800 ultra should be 2 times faster then the radeon 9700 pro.. BULLSHIT!

Back