A Cure for the Infection?

Shem

The Freeman
Reaction score
I've been playing Left 4 Dead for awhile now, and I've been asking myself alot of questions about the story. Most of my questions have been answered already in other threads, but when I searched for this particular question, I didn't find a thread about it. I decided to create my own thread to speculate on the matter, and see if we can figure this out using the clues from the game.

So my question is - is there a cure for the infection?

I've seen some writing on the safe room walls that say the goverment is developing a cure for the infection and they're only giving it to the rich. I don't know if it's true or not, it could be a mindless assumption. I've also seen on the walls THERE IS NO CURE, so people have different thoughts on the matter.

That's all the information I have for right now, just the writing on the safe room walls. I'll try to find some more info about the cure, but we can only speculate about it.

Since L4D1 seems to be set during initial stages of the epidemic I doubt there is one. Maybe we'll find out more in L4D2.

I too doubt the possibility of a cure.

I mean, why are they giving it to the rich? Order doesn't exist anymore.

Seriously, I have no idea.

SwampFever_Final_02.jpg

There's your cure in plain English.

Pro tip: It's not Depeche Mode.

Let's look at this scientifically, though. I understand the Infected can be killed by bullets and explosives, but that won't mean a thing in the long run. I believe that during the timeline of Left 4 Dead 2, the Infection will be spread around the entire country. You can't just exterminate most of the population, you'd have to be a madman to do something like that! And even if you tried, it would be virtually impossible if you used guns. Bombs would be the only weapons to really make a difference.

I believe that the immune scientists must develop an antidote to save the Infected. If they don't, I'm afraid the entire world will be doomed.

I think I made that sound too dramatic.

Even though Rabies has no cure.

Just because there's a virus doesn't mean there's also something that can kill it. Besides that, Rabies causes the brain to expand and rub against the skull, which I imagine is what is driving all of the infected to insanity, and making them so insanely irritable. It's a mutated form of Rabies, so that would mean that a cure would be even harder to develop. Looking at it from a scientific standpoint, only the immune are cured. Think like I Am Legend. The survivors will have to wait out the storm in refugee camps and such, hoping the infected die of exhaustion, or starvation. Even if there were enough scientists alive after the infection, there is no way, with the short of fellow scientists, that the remaining would, let alone have enough supplies for such a thing, but be able to CURE a world-wide (or so it seems) infection. It just doesn't seem very possible.

A vaccine(maybe one developed from immune humans like the survivors?) or cure that can stop the virus in its early stages might be possible, but other than that I doubt it. I'm no doctor, but the dramatic mutations in the special infected(and possibly less-dramatic ones in the normal infected) look like they would be impossible to reverse, and there's the simple fact that the virus drives the victim murderously insane, not exactly something easily curable.

There's nothing realistic or scientific about this, or any other zombie story for that matter.

If the virus is based on rabies, the infected would eventually die of severe brain damage.
If based on rabies, there would be no mutations (boomer, smoker, tank etc.), and even if there were, it would take a long time for the mutations to develop.
The virus spreads through physical contact, and manifests itself relatively quickly making it very ineffective in spreading all over the world.

And last but not least, if the virus affects the brain causing people to become mindless killers, they would attack anyone including other infected. None of this hunting in packs bull shit.

My point? The story is bull shit (and so are all zombie stories in general) so just have fun playing the game.

Urrrggghhh just play the game urrggghhh

Thank you for contributing to my thread by posting the same thing Remus said, but in a more shorter and ignorant way. I hope you weren't using this thread as an attempt to get your postcount higher, because that would be rather sad, wouldn't it?

I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I know fully well that it is a game, and that I shouldn't worry about the story, but can't we atleast speculate about it? Isn't there always speculating to be done on a game?

There's nothing realistic or scientific about this, or any other zombie story for that matter.

If the virus is based on rabies, the infected would eventually die of severe brain damage.
If based on rabies, there would be no mutations (boomer, smoker, tank etc.), and even if there were, it would take a long time for the mutations to develop.
The virus spreads through physical contact, and manifests itself relatively quickly making it very ineffective in spreading all over the world.

And last but not least, if the virus affects the brain causing people to become mindless killers, they would attack anyone including other infected. None of this hunting in packs bull shit.

My point? The story is bull shit (and so are all zombie stories in general) so just have fun playing the game.

The fact that the virus manifest quikly makes it perfect for spreading, as long as it is on fast land (like 28 days later) The way it could spread is just like the virus does in the ending of 28 weeks later.

I Don't think Zombie stories are shit, and far from reality. Maybe the zombie part of the stories are unrealistic, but what zombie stories really are, is our fear of a world wide pandemic, spreading, and killing modern society. Lets see what happens with H1N1..

Well since America is probably doomed, the rest of the world will probably just say "screw it" and bomb the place instead of finding a cure.

I'm sorry if I sound mean, but I know fully well that it is a game, and that I shouldn't worry about the story, but can't we atleast speculate about it? Isn't there always speculating to be done on a game?

Sure, it's just pointless to try and 'figure it out scientifically', and makes you look silly.

excuse me, but who gives a ****? It's not resident evil so stop wasting your time pissing around on you computer and get some fresh air!

personally the little snippets of story gained from (mainly) the safe rooms was one of the most enjoyable parts of L4D for me. the first time i played through it my team mates were running way ahead while i was still in the saferoom reading the little notes. its a shame they didnt delve a little further into the story but hopefully l4d2 will bring some more.

excuse me, but who gives a ****? It's not resident evil so stop wasting your time pissing around on you computer and get some fresh air!

Because the infection in resident evil makes so much more sense, and the story is simply sublime.

Well since America is probably doomed, the rest of the world will probably just say "screw it" and bomb the place instead of finding a cure.

The rest of the world blow up America... The impossible will happen.
I agree that bullets are the cure.....:sniper: :bounce:

Just so you know, valve didnt invent zombies and they arent specific to L4D.

I look for there to be a l4d 2 and a l4d 3, or possible expansions like hl2 episode 1 and 2.

Somewhere in the mix there is going to be a cure announced. And since the survivors are immune to the infection, its up to them to get into the research facility and get the cure out to the rest of the people.

Who knows, they might even have to go to Black Mesa and get the cure from there? Now that would be too funny.

Back