a seemingly unique launch problem.

Reaction score
I ain't seen this one turn up anywhere yet.
menu screen is loading, then it all messes up and tells me that I need a minimum of directx 8 to play it.
I have directx 10.
halp D:

Interesting one...

I'm assuming then you have Windows Vista? Which version of Vista? What graphics card? What version of the graphics card drivers are you using?

Any other repro steps?

Haven't been able to reproduce this internally. As Chris_D said, I presume you're running Vista? Is this still happening, and are there any other steps involved in reproducing the problem?

I ain't seen this one turn up anywhere yet.
menu screen is loading, then it all messes up and tells me that I need a minimum of directx 8 to play it.
I have directx 10.
halp D:
If you have XP you most likely don't have DX10 unless you have some special homebrew version. Anyway, are you sure that you have DX9c installed?

ah, see heres the problem. Think I have it solved.
a stupid mistake really.
after I got the message for the first time, I installed the latest version of DX I could find without really reading into it.. which was DX10. I have XP, so it probably didn't work. I'll install 9c now and try again.
it's wierd though, I could have sworn I had DX8 or higher beforehand anyway..

Have you tried making sure in the launch properties of the icon it doesn't read something in there forcing dx7?

got directx 9c. same error.
I have it on safemode in the launch properties, dont see anything to do with directx

nothing works.
turns out its my graphics card.
nvidia gefore mx 440 is a directx7 card apparently.. despite my dxdiag saying im running Directx 9

He technically is running DirectX 9, otherwise, most new games wouldn't even start. His card just doesn't support it.

You don't even have the minimum required video card to play the game, I suggest upgrading to a DX8+ card if you really want to play this game.

I am also having the same exact problem here. I pre-ordered the game in hopes that I could play some TF2 but upon launching the game I am also getting the same error message. I have taken some screen shots of dxdiag. I believe my computer is more than sufficient to run this game as it runs half life 2 flawlessly as well as other games I play.

dx01.jpg

and

dx02.jpg

Hopefully this bug will be worked out and I will be able to play it upon release.

I am also having the same exact problem here. I pre-ordered the game in hopes that I could play some TF2 but upon launching the game I am also getting the same error message. I have taken some screen shots of dxdiag. I believe my computer is more than sufficient to run this game as it runs half life 2 flawlessly as well as other games I play.

dx01.jpg

and

dx02.jpg

Hopefully this bug will be worked out and I will be able to play it upon release.

hmm.. no. your card must only support DX7. though I've heard of people with ATI having problems..
I checked the minimum requirements on the store page for valve. for everything in the orange box, at least directx 8 is required. hl2 was only DX7.
though other sites minimum requirements state all of the orange box games require just dx7.. confusing. I'm gonna go with the steam store page though.
I need a new card, but the geforce mx 440 card is AGP. I searched for some other AGP cards, but they seem to be all built for windows vista (Im assuming this means it wont work on XP) so I need a new AGP card for XP that supports dx8+. can anyone find something like this por moi?

No the Radeon X1650 is a DirectX 9 compatible card so it should be fine.
However the Geforce MX series is only DirectX 7 compatible so I'm afraid your out of luck.

Yeah, my Radeon x1650 does support DirectX 9 according to the ATI/AMD site. I have found people posting on some other sites having the same problem. However I am not noticing any similarities between the people that have this problem so I am having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what it could be.

I'll wait until the real game is released in case it isn't what it says it is, then I'll get a new card.

You'll need a card that at least supports DX8, that won't change. I suggest start looking now.

Back