A Very interesting Thing happened to my computer. Please Read.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ok so many of you know my windows recently got corrupt after a Bioshock crash and wasn't able to fix itself. If you want to Skip how it happened and want to just know what happened at the end skip till you see ---- These are a few links of me posting for help.

1. http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2352103&postcount=1
2. http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2351282&postcount=5
3. http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showpost.php?p=2353458&postcount=7

What I'm going to do is tell you guys every step of what happened because i find this VERY interesting.

Alright here we go. So I'm playing Bioshock for hours game doesn't crash. Next day i come on play for 1 hour and boom crash! Ok shit crashes no big deal. But wait this is a crash i have never seen before. Screen goes black and shortly after monitor starts to blink.. So i restart. It boots up and WTF screen looks like it doesn't have any video drivers. I check and its on 4bit and 800/600 tried changing it nothing doesn't allow me to, tried restarting something! Humm maybe my GFX card died? Went to device manager everything is fine. Uninstalled the drivers restarted and everything was fine. Then i installed the drivers again restarted and I'm back to playing bioshock!

So i play and play and shit crash again! This time my PC auto restarts after the crash...boots up and its at the windows has encountered a problem press a key to check drive. So i do it, I'm thinking to myself damn this must have been a hard crash..Anyway it fixes itself i go right back to playing. One Hour later same crash! This time at the hard drive check it restarted, humm maybe its nothing. Takes me to the black screen where it asks how you would like to start windows. I end up trying every mode it just keeps restarting when it hits the windows load bar.

Ok time to try and fix this. I go into windows to run checkdisk, it says it fixed some stuff but still auto reboot on loading screen. I tried the Ultimate Boot CD no help! Man this sucks its day 3 now without my PC working and at random times i would start it up to see if it fixed itself. I'm not going to mention the small problems in detail, like my drive letters mixing up in Ultimate boot CD etc.

---- Now how i fixed it and what happened after.

I loaded up Ultimate Boot CD and went into the recovery software area and played around trying recovering files. Funny thing is the hard drive with my saves and OS had every folder BUT THE ****ING my documents folders and desktop area, which is where i wanted to be! I ran this option in one of the programs to recover lost data and it said i had to wait like 40 days. I let it run for 5 mins before i said **** that! (I saved the 5 mins of random files it found in my 150GB raptor, which had just games installed) So i took out my 320GB HD so that i can find a way to recover some files and my Bioshock saves. (i had like 10 mb of files i didn't backup before the crash) I put in a empty 500GB installed windows and I'm up and running.

Humm the hard drive i put the lost files in isn't being detected. Went to device manager. Its there but not in my computer....Went on searching for recovery software ended up finding nothing that works and is free and a shit load of stuff that works and isn't free. So i continue my search. I find some software to be able to read my raptor and I'm using this as a test phase so when i find good software I'm going to use a enclosure kit to recover my saves from my 320GB HD. Now its time to enclose my HD, but 1 problem my kit is ultra and i have sata SHIT!

Now this is where it gets interesting.

I'm like **** it i put the 320GB hd inside the PC connect it and restart PC. This is like a week after this all happened. My pc starts fine but wait it went into the desk check file fixing thing! WTF! NOOOOO! NOT AGAIN! But wait....its running and running and running it got to this part where it would say something like "fixing security file # here) It did that for 60000 files took about 30 mins and my windows finally boots up.

Now what i thought was it was fixing my ****ed up windows install but when i booted up, it was the knew install. So I'm like wtf is going on? Did my new install go back when i connected the drive? Is it a virus!

Anyway i go into my computer and I'm shocked at what i see. Not only is my 320 GB HD working and FULLY FUCTIONAL WITH ALL FILES INTACH BUT MY 150 GB Raptor that stopped working when i put all those lost files on is now also 100% functional.

Tell me please how this makes any sense. ****ing computers and their ghost code seriously. They fix each other whenever they feel like it. Why couldn't this happened 1 week ago before i had to do all this random ass shit?

I hope you guys find this interesting and post your stories of ghost code/computers.

(Running late for work so I'm going to check for typos when i come back! In a rush!)

lol, bioshock saves arnt worth all that. It would have been a lot more fun to just play the game up to that point again than to deal with all that.

Sounds like a bad HD. Maybe just getting bad be watchfull of the raptor.

It wasnt only for the bioshock saves lol. I didnt back up a few pics and text files that night. So i needed those aswell.

My PC acts funnay when it's warm. I was playing Bioshock and the screen turned black then the CD drive started going crazy. The monitor said, "OMG WTF HELP HELP NO SIGNAL!!!", then after I pushed the Input button the game returned as if nothing happened.

That's crazy. I don't like those kinds of roller coasters.

One time I ended up with a slightly jittery install of Windows after suffering a trojan infection and then what appeared to be a DDOS attack. I cleaned the trojan to the best of my knowledge, but I was still having some stability problems. Windows hadn't been updated in ages, so I hunted online to see if there were some updates which would close any security loopholes I had.

I found a couple of likely candidates, downloaded them and tried to run one - bang, got a BSOD. My machine rebooted, ran checkdisk, and I tried once more for luck - except I couldn't because the update I downloaded had vanished :| And this same pattern occured every time I tried to download and run that update (except when I made a copy of the file in the same folder)... It seemed too stupidly coincidental for me to believe it was anything other than malicious activity on my comp, but at the same time I have a hard time believing that I had a virus so sophisticated that it left no trace, yet was able to block the running of any patch which would impede it in its activities. It gave me a sickly feeling; I was either the unluckiest person ever, in that the one patch which could help me would cause a BSOD which would then corrupt the exe and cause chkdisk to delete it, or I was being victimised by a pretty sophisticated attacker. Hate weird PC voodoo like that, it seems to happen to me very often.

Back