About the Car... And the dialogue...

capteeni

Reaction score
..>especially in the end of the episode. Did any of you feel the immersion while being in the final battle. i mean mostly how valve Personalized the car with helpful radar and magnusson Device holder.

It had so much use and sort of 'revolutionized' the episode forever.

who's with me? As if the car was the notepad of Doom III or sort of RPG element like the items menu.... it's kinda hard to explain...I think words 'immersive' 'depth' and 'real'
can fulfill my feelings.

On another note, is it me or is the dialogue in Episode two little too over-the-top or toned down somehow. I mean I have many times felt how character talk to gordon as if gordon was 13-years old kid, especially the way Eli said Seven-hours war was in my opinion over-the-top and Alyx' comment about the car when she saw it first time. She acted that moment like 13 years old kid who was to blow small home-made bomb on the streets and the way it explode was 'cool'

dialogue isnt dumbed down..."we scored" isnt exactly taboo if you have a PhD in theoretical physics

How can it be over the top and toned down? D:

No idea :D Just some way.

And looks I made this thread too fast and too early, lol I just finished Ep2 and had to write something up, like stuff that stuck in my mind.

Now the thrilled feeling is going down...

When all your life the only working human vehicles you're exposed to are airboats and dune buggies constructed from bits of scrap metal, you'd be pretty excited to get a ride in a big badass muscle car, even one as banged-up and gutted as the one in Episode 2.

And I found Eli's Seven Hour War line perfectly fine...I've heard more "over the top" things in real life.

Yeah they need to curse more, throw in some F-Bombs. That would make the dialog more adult oriented.

/sarcasm

dialogue isnt dumbed down..."we scored" isnt exactly taboo if you have a PhD in theoretical physics

Well, uh, how i can explain this : It's not toned down, it's like they wrote dialogs on purpose for like Console kids or something :imu: While it's half-life, still some part of the dialogue are so-so (almost felt like I was watching a barbie movie for boys (I know, LMAO))

So what would be your defination of adult dialogue then if you thought EP2 had dialogue geared towards kids?

So what would be your defination of adult dialogue then if you thought EP2 had dialogue geared towards kids?

Well, ugh, That wasn't my point. The dialogue in Portal, Episode one, Half-life 2 are fine. But this one has those small so-so moments in there.

Well ugh, let's not make this big deal, ok? it's seems like I am on my own, just ignore this thread then.

Tip of the Day:

Don't say anything bad about the Half-Life series here.

You will be violated and probably mentally scarred for the rest of your life.

You have been warned.

And I disagree with you also, the dialog was pretty much spot on.

Yeah they need to curse more, throw in some F-Bombs. That would make the dialog more adult oriented.

/sarcasm

I actually agree to a point, despite the sarcasm, but most of the people you interact with in Ep 2 are doctors of science. I don't mean to say people with Ph.Ds don't use the word ****, but it's not really in-character for Eli or Kleiner or even Magnusson to do so. For Barney it is, and he has, and the rebels need to sound more "rough" in general. This is supposedly doing battle to the death y'know, not playing around with toy-guns. Althought with the addition of Adam Baldwin, this is already improving.

...ah dammit, now I've done it; 1, 2, 3- Jaaaaaayne, the man they call Jaaaaaayne!

EDIT* There was nothing wrong with the dialouge in Ep 2 however. It was very, very excellent. But in general the rebels have always sounded a bit too... cheerful.

I actually agree to a point, despite the sarcasm, but most of the people you interact with in Ep 2 are doctors of science. I don't mean to say people with Ph.Ds don't use the word ****, but it's not really in-character for Eli or Kleiner or even Magnusson to do so. For Barney it is, and he has, and the rebels need to sound more "rough" in general. This is supposedly doing battle to the death y'know, not playing around with toy-guns. Althought with the addition of Adam Baldwin, this is already improving.

...ah dammit, now I've done it; 1, 2, 3- Jaaaaaayne, the man they call Jaaaaaayne!

EDIT* There was nothing wrong with the dialouge in Ep 2 however. It was very, very excellent. But in general the rebels have always sounded a bit too... cheerful.

Yeah, to some extent I wouldn't mind it, but with some games like Fear, or as I have seen in the trailer for Army of Two, its every other word... kind of ridiculous.

Barney said Damnit when lamarr jumped at him....rebel

I think the combine occasionally say "shit" when you throw a grenade at them... or am I wrong?

Yeah, about the dialogue... Resistance members don't strike me as people who had a harsh "war life" for 10 years. People who go through wars tend to use much more "rough" language, which usually includes a lot of swearing. They can't all be doctors and scientists who spent their entire lives in a lab, right?

imo there seems to be less of the default type dialogue in Ep2 than previous, and more individualized stuff. Good examples are the resistance guy hitting on Alyx and the two guys in the antlion lights/guns area. In these cases they're actually saying something specific to the scenario (and not neccesarily to Gordon) as opposed to the generic comments they used to make as you wandered by.

A definite improvement. :thumbs:

I don't know, I also had some problems with the dialogue at certain points, particularly the first time Alyx talks to you. She goes from talking cheerily about the Gravity Gun to her worried voice way too fast; struck me as kind of abrupt.

Yeah, about the dialogue... Resistance members don't strike me as people who had a harsh "war life" for 10 years. People who go through wars tend to use much more "rough" language, which usually includes a lot of swearing. They can't all be doctors and scientists who spent their entire lives in a lab, right?
It's doubtful that the average Resistance member can last for 10 years. In addition, much of the Resistance by EP2 consists of recruits who only joined up after the Nova Prospekt incident. Otherwise, there would have been fighting in City 17 long before Freeman resurfaced.

The resistance have never struck me as looking like hardened troops, they look like civilians forced into very bad situations for the most part. Although there are exceptions to that of course, and frankly it's probably reasonable to expect an average civilian to swear more when he almost get's his head humped.
Still, I don't care that there is only occasional bad language.

I thought the dialoge was spot on. Sometimes when I replay HL2 or the episodes, if I'm not feeling the same way the characters are, the expressions might feel over-the-top. But that's because I'm not really into it at the time.

Barney said Damnit when lamarr jumped at him....rebel
In HL2, Barney swore. "And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said F you!" Except he actually says the word.
I don't think language needs to be added. It's perfect how they have it IMO.

I really liked the radar built into the car. Better than relying on a character telling me where things are. Gives me more room for choosing where I want to go and be better informed about what is going on.

i knida agree with the original point, something was a little "eh" about the dialogue. For instance the old vortie voice was better i think, the new voice sounds somehow not quite fitting. And in a few places the story did feel a little bit spoonfed where in the previous versions of the series it was more implied.

Still awesome voice acting overall, just not quite as good as the orignal hl2's

I'll agree in the first half the dialogue was a little lackluster, but the second half more than made up for it.

I bursted out laughing when alyx said "We scored!" when I got the car.

In HL2, Barney swore. "And if you see Dr. Breen, tell him I said F you!" Except he actually says the word.

I never heard that. Doesn't he say that as you are on your way down a hole, and the Citadel-wall-crusher-thing comes down on you as he is about to drop the F bomb? I never actually heard him say it, I thought it was planned out so that the noise from the wall canceled out what he said. I always assumed thats what he said though.

Yeah it's meant to be drowned out. It's a pretty cool way of doing it, there's so little bad language that when you drop down the hole you should get a 'he said what?' moment.
First time I popped a gren into a sniper nest and got an expletive, I cracked up. If there was cursing all over I wouldn't have even noticed either of these events.

HL has always been a subtle, sophisticated series where everything is implicit rather than explicit. If the characters suddenly started exclaiming 'aw, ****ING TITSCABS, F*CK ME!!' in firefights it wouldn't fit - in fact, far from making the game seem more adult, it would feel like something chucked in for kiddies who like to feel that they're playing something naughty.

Sure, the dialogue in Ep2 is not always top drawer stuff, but a lot of it really is, and either way it's a big improvement on Ep1 which wasn't too good at all.

It fits much better in a game like Bioshock, where everything is clearly shown to be bleak, dark and violent from the very outset.

HL has always been a subtle, sophisticated series where everything is implicit rather than explicit. If the characters suddenly started exclaiming 'aw, ****ING TITSCABS, F*CK ME!!' in firefights it wouldn't fit - in fact, far from making the game seem more adult, it would feel like something chucked in for kiddies who like to feel that they're playing something naughty.

I lol'ed IRL

My mind! Broken!! I better turn of this Interwebs thing now!

Laivasse said:

I think even Gordon would be a little taken aback if Alyx started swearing like a truck driver, for that matter.

"Gordon, we have to get this f*cking packet to White Forest."

"Hey Gordon, it's the f*cking radar again."

"Why the f*ck would the combine put a f*cking roadblock here?"

"Watch out, Gordon! It's a f*cking trap!"

"Hunters! F*CK!!"

Haha, that reminds me of that Reporter Woman in "Three Kings"....

Lol, guys now your going way too high.

The dumped dialog is no by any mean that it needs more F-words, but it means it has this Teen stuff like Alyx's "...Scored!'. You know how LAME that was? made me feel 13 all over again.

First I found Alyx's attractive..in a good way, but now the irony, I don't even care for her. She's now just a kid for me.

it's just that, small little things can make huge differences.

Eh when I was 13 I used more swear words than terms like "we scored!". More like "****ing jackpot!"

Back