Admins changing names, unbinding keys and other stuff

G

gkanga

Ok so I've noticed that server admins have aquired the ability to change players' names, mid-round nonetheless, quit the game for you, unbind all your keys, and who knows what else. I've seen all these things happen to my roommate, who plays a lot more than me, and I think it's pretty retarded. Is this something new? I've never seen it before and I've been playing CS on and off since before it was released. Besides, it really doesn't seem like something that's supposed to be in the game. Has anybody eles seen this happen? Any ways to stop this crap?

Hmmm, I've never seen it happen, and since CS:S doesn't have admin mod yet (last time I checked) I don't know how they'd do it. Are you sure they aren't tricking him into typing something into console that unbinds his keys?

Yeah I'm positive. Here's what happened with the unbind thing:
My roommate was playing on some clan server where all of the clan guys were on one team, everybody else on the other. He was the last CT left and he was about to defuse the bomb, suddenly he stopped moving, dropped his weapons one at a time and none of his keys did anything. There was some time between dropping the weapons so it seemed like the admin was typing commands for each. He left the server and checked the keys, and nothing was bound. He didn't type anything in the console. I only saw that once, but the name changing I've seen all over the place.

Its been around for a long time- its part of adminmod/clanmod/metamod type mods. If the admin is working for a large company (i.e. XGE or an ISP) then file a complaint, otherwise, stay away from shady servers. Its a really un-ethical abuse of power.

You used to be able todo it in CS, but they removed it.

Guess they put it back in for CSS, dunno why - its a right pain in the arse.

i've used amx and admin mods a bit before - they've always been able to do it if they have a high enough admin power and either your roomate does stuff to deserve it or he's finding a ton of asshole admins for some reason.

gkanga said:
Any ways to stop this crap?
Try this for the unbinding of your keys:

Find your confic.cfg eg: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\USERNAME\counter-strike source\cstrike\cfg

right click properties and set it to read only. This worked in 1.6 so hopefully should work in source.

Yeah setting it to read only works fine, and has the bonus of really upsetting tyrannical admins.

the config folder itself is read only by default

or do you have to make your config file read only...then again how many people are intelligent enough to change it or enough of a jerk?

yeah i noticed that

but if you put your cfg file to "read only",
can this stop the 'childish power mad' admins change my name?

They'll probably still be able to change your name - just leave it as whatever they set it to and change it back on the next server you play - no other way to stop them.

KoreBolteR said:
but if you put your cfg file to "read only",
can this stop the 'childish power mad' admins change my name?
yes.. :imu:

RyGuyX said:
i've used amx and admin mods a bit before - they've always been able to do it if they have a high enough admin power and either your roomate does stuff to deserve it or he's finding a ton of asshole admins for some reason.

Not a ton, just 3 or 4. He plays a LOT.

The read only idea is good, pretty obvious, too, why didn't I think of that... Will that make it so that you can't change the controls yourself, though?

Just change your .cfg file to read-only, that'll stop abusive admins.
I wouldn't even want to be on a server with admins like that :p

Sadly, it's quite hard to find a decent server that I ping well to.

well, i remember a 11 year old payed to get admin powers, he was such a jackass, killed me when i killed him, revived himself, killed me when im doing better, then finally banned me, so i go to a different server, he pays for admin there too, and bans me again, man i hate little kids

ktimekiller said:
well, i remember a 11 year old payed to get admin powers, he was such a jackass, killed me when i killed him, revived himself, killed me when im doing better, then finally banned me, so i go to a different server, he pays for admin there too, and bans me again, man i hate little kids
Wow he plays on two servers at once, the two of several hundred you could have chosen from. What are the odds? :rolleyes:

Back