Ads promoting Safe Sex removed due to Homophobia - More Australian Wankery

Zephos

Companion Cube
Reaction score
This advertisement:

5086243.jpg

Was pulled after a mere 50 complaints made by members of the ACL (Australian Christian Lobby). Completely stupid shit.

Wendy Francis said:
The ad featured two men in an act of foreplay with a large condom pictured in the left hand corner and the slogan ‘RIP&ROLL’ as well as the wording ‘A safe sex message from healthy communities’,” Mrs Francis said.

Ms Francis said it went against prevailing community standards to introduce sexuality to young children through forced exposure in public.

“A massive groundswell of people power has won the day when it comes to the bus shelters which have been pulled down over night,” she said.

Thinly veiled homophobia. How many damn underwear ads or bikini clad in women in shop windows don't promote sexuality on par with this. A facebook group (I know, I know) has been set up by the people who have created the Ad in protest. It's accruing members at a very rapid rate.

Here's the group.

Most are emailing Adshel (the company that pulled the ads after complaints). You can email them here if anyone is interested in stopping this stupidity.

Suddenly, all the "no hugging" rules make so much sense to me.

The complaint

I honestly don't know how the Christian lobby writes this crap with a straight face. I don't know if it's just me but I would prefer a few more young kids have safe sex rather than them risk STD's and pregnancy because of lack of education.

Also I don't agree that this was homophobic. They assert that the problem is that young people might see these ads and use condoms and that that is somehow a bad thing .... :S

Also I don't agree that this was homophobic.

"To promote this lifestyle (homosexuality) to our youth is not in the interest of healthy communities"

So they're saying homosexuality does not belong in a healthy community.

But lol at being against condom ads. But alcohol ads are ok.

"To promote this lifestyle (homosexuality) to our youth is not in the interest of healthy communities"

:S Just read through some more of those posts (which is where I assume you got your quote from?), and yeah I think you're right. I still stand by my first paragraph though :)

So they're saying homosexuality does not belong in a healthy community.

But lol at being against condom ads. But alcohol ads are ok.

All right I should ask here, why all the value judgements? You dont think they would love to pull alcohol, condoms without man ass and bikinis out of every piece of literature and tv? Of course they would, theyre just going for the low hanging fruit with this one, they will always find something they will bitch about, the key point against them is it causes no harm(although they will point to their kids) and shut up. Otherwise political dead-ends will always try to champion the issue, and advertising companies are very paranoid about the public image of the company they represent, so they will listen to the loudest idiots

You dont think they would love to pull alcohol, condoms without man ass and bikinis out of every piece of literature and tv?

Of course, but I find it funny that they're so offended their kids might see 2 men kissing, as if that's going to turn them into disease ridden sex maniacs.

It's no worse than what you see on Linx/Axe adverts.

How many damn underwear ads or bikini clad in women in shop windows don't promote sexuality on par with this.

Well, tbh, I rather see bikini clad women than two men caressing each other.

Honestly, can we please get to a point in our societies where "think of the children" stops being a valid complaint towards anything even vaguely sexual.

When the little neighbor girl is singing extremely sexual songs(Maybe without even realizing what it means) by Rihanna and Bieber and shit, these excuses just solidify how out of touch with kids these groups are.

yeah Korea is known for that kinda stuff you see that on TV at least twice a year very entertaining.When police clash with armed protesters in the streets there it's also Hollywood worthy.

Yeah, well, the enemies of free democracy are many in number and insidious.

Personally, I'd throw every politician and protester into the sea. Frakking commies.

Back