Adverts + layout

NB.

Reaction score
I see you just put upp ads on the site, now the layout is all squashed up to the left hand side which is annoying as hell on a large monitor. I dont care about the ads, but can you sort the layout so the text centres on the page.

Cheers

adds on sides aren't so bad but the middle ad is extremely annoying...not to mention the site layou is all squashed and ewh

I'm working on it at the moment - any better?

I'd still like to complain about the one to the right, I don't mind them, but at least shove them to the top or bottom of the forum, not the left or right.

The problem is we need that particular type of sized banner ad and it wouldn't really fit well at the top or bottom of the forum :)

argh it looks horrible! i want google ads back -.- an the borders of the tables are gone? oO

There will be an initial period where everything is a bit messy. Munro's just tweaking the design now. And if I remember correctly everyone has complained about anything we've ever done on the forums or main site so you know you'll all get used to it :)

If you're gonna have adverts on the side of the forums, I suggest using one of those sidebars that were there when this new forum skin debuted a while back. The other side could have links to the rest of the site maybe? So have the right side bar for adverts, the left for the same left navbar as the main site.

Good idea. The only problem would be the forums would look more cramped in the middle.

Well you could do that, or utilise a bit more of the space on the right hand side for a nav menu.

KagePrototype said:
If you're gonna have adverts on the side of the forums, I suggest using one of those sidebars that were there when this new forum skin debuted a while back. The other side could have links to the rest of the site maybe? So have the right side bar for adverts, the left for the same left navbar as the main site.

Oh hopefully not. After the sidebars were removed we got some width back (on 1024x768), now some ad is taking part of it away again. Reinstating the sidebars would only make it worse.

It's still something of a mystery to me why this site even needs ads, as the hosting is free and (afaik) the staff is as well.

And the ads seem to be multiplying... /me has a vision of huge blinking banners on all sides and runs away screaming

How about having it so that posts that start below it go all the way to the edge, and it's only the first few that are pushed over by the ad?

Not sure how easy that'd be to do though, because of vB's templates.

I dont think having ads either side would help, it would just create even more cramped forum text, just for the sake of symmetry. I have no problem with the current layout whatsoever, it was just when the ads were first put up there was a large amount of blank space to the right hand side (on a 1600x1200 desktop anyway).

My initial reaction is... "eeewwww" :p but of course the ads will help support the site, so I have no problem with them. I would prefer the forums be centred on the screen, though..

Teh forum licensce costs monay, the old server cost money which munro himself payed.

Aslong as there are no flash ads or pop ups or too many ads I wont mind.

You'd be surprised at the costs of running a simple fan site.

Hopefully once we get some money for these adverts we can provide more faster web servers, file servers, prizes, gaming servers, coverage on events such as E3 which would require a hell of a lot of funds, and lots of extra features. It would be nice to reward the staff a little something too ;)

The ad's right now are a little crappy but once our deals go through this week you'll see some proper ones up and running. It's a shame we wont see the Muffin Mould adverts again, I love them. Don't worry about me going any further then what they are now though. There will be no flash ads with sounds or pop ups etc.

KagePrototype said:
Chris_D said:
Well you could do that, or utilise a bit more of the space on the right hand side for a nav menu.
I agree absolutely .... if there will be ads on the right, I reckon reinstating ONLY that sidebar would work really well. Then it can be used for more interesting stuff like links, fun stuff, oh I don't know, maybe member-only announcements that apply to the whole forum.

Munro said:
You'd be surprised at the costs of running a simple fan site.

Hopefully once we get some money for these adverts we can provide more faster web servers, file servers, prizes, gaming servers, coverage on events such as E3 which would require a hell of a lot of funds, and lots of extra features. It would be nice to reward the staff a little something too ;)

The ad's right now are a little crappy but once our deals go through this week you'll see some proper ones up and running. It's a shame we wont see the Muffin Mould adverts again, I love them. Don't worry about me going any further then what they are now though. There will be no flash ads with sounds or pop ups etc.
Yeah, Munro's £593,927 in debt because of this place. It's such a sad tale... Any donations should be made payable to Chris Deeming. I'm his bank, y'see. I'll give it a safe home... erm... I mean... I'll give it to him.

dude, one thing, can you out the quick forum jump thing back on the righ hand side?, i am lazy.

rf

why dont we chock the site fiull of ads or have a full page ad as a start page for the fist week after hl2 comes out - you'd make millions!

If you made the whole ad frame an iframe, I could adblock it...;)

Back