Advice. [buying 9800 pro]

I have got the Ati Sapphire 9800 Pro UT. It's the one without the fan and the big HS. Runs very nicely but when its hot I have to remove the case side and blow a fan on it as Doom3 (Only game to push it) would start getting artifacts but now its autumn its fine. I am planning on getting a new card and will go with the XFX 6800 GT and stick the 9800 in my old machine ;)

Not sure where you are but the 9800 Pro is now around £130ish (UK) which is sweet...

i wouldnt get the 9800pro now cause there are much better cards out there like the BFG Geforce 6800 ULLLtra 256mb and the x800..

"It's slower than GF 6800 Ultra PCI-E SLI combo"
"i wouldnt get the 9800pro now cause there are much better cards out there like the BFG Geforce 6800 ULLLtra 256mb and the x800.."

Seriously, stop being such snobs, not all of us have money coming out of our a**es, so stop being snobbish, and remember that the 9800 pro is a highend card for those who can't afford the X800 (like me :) ).

Lunacy, I got the ATI model, featured here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-286&depa=1

The first one I ordered from NewEgg had been manufactured incorrectly and overheated very quickly. I first tried Far Cry, and it would crash every half-hour or so. Over the course of two weeks, the card got hotter and hotter and ran worse every day. About ten days after I bought it, I couldn't run ANY 3D game more than a minute without suffering a nasty crash. The card was too hot to touch for more than a split-second and clearly had something wrong with it. This was my first experience with an ATI card, and I was pissed at myself for not getting an Nvidia like I always had before.

I sent the card back to NewEgg and they took care of it right away, living up to their great reputation like always (love that company). The next card arrived and I plugged it in, haven't had a problem with it since. It never crashes, it was cheap, it's fast as hell, I'd recommend it.

If I had the money, honestly, I'd buy the newest Nvidia card and be done with it, but if you're not ready to spend 500 on hardware that becomes quickly outdated, go for the 9800pro and assuming you get a working card, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

EDIT: $233 isn't such a great price anymore, but if you have the self-control to wait for a sale, CompUSA had the card on sale last week for $150-180. They had been putting the 9600 on sale every couple weeks for months, but now that newer cards are out, I suspect the 9800pro will be on sale again very soon.

-UnmarkedOne

UnmarkedOne said:
Lunacy, I got the ATI model, featured here:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-286&depa=1

The first one I ordered from NewEgg had been manufactured incorrectly and overheated very quickly. I first tried Far Cry, and it would crash every half-hour or so. Over the course of two weeks, the card got hotter and hotter and ran worse every day. About ten days after I bought it, I couldn't run ANY 3D game more than a minute without suffering a nasty crash. The card was too hot to touch for more than a split-second and clearly had something wrong with it. This was my first experience with an ATI card, and I was pissed at myself for not getting an Nvidia like I always had before.

I sent the card back to NewEgg and they took care of it right away, living up to their great reputation like always (love that company). The next card arrived and I plugged it in, haven't had a problem with it since. It never crashes, it was cheap, it's fast as hell, I'd recommend it.

If I had the money, honestly, I'd buy the newest Nvidia card and be done with it, but if you're not ready to spend 500 on hardware that becomes quickly outdated, go for the 9800pro and assuming you get a working card, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

-UnmarkedOne
:cheers: :cheers: YUP!!! Can't agree more.

L337_Assasain said:
Seriously, stop being such snobs, not all of us have money coming out of our a**es, so stop being snobbish, and remember that the 9800 pro is a highend card for those who can't afford the X800 (like me :) ).
i take pride in being successful and rich in some way :farmer:

Well right now i currently have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. It runs fine with any other game cept CS:S. In source, when the shootouts begin between T's and CT's my fps drops down to like 40-50. I'v just been hearing from alot of people that a 9800 pro runs great on source and i heard you get a steady 75-85 fps rate. If this is true i'll go out and buy it but i just wanted some advice which one to get off newegg because i really don't know the difference.

Yeah, i could go out and buy a 6800 card but i think its a waste of money for me because i don't really care about having every settting on high and having to worry about choppiness. I just want a card that i can get decent FPS in source and in other games like Far Cry.

So anyways, how many of you think i should go out and buy it and get rid of my 5700 Ultra?

Most of this advice seems like "dont buy that 92 geo, buy this 04 lexus!".

A 9800 pro is a great card, there are better cards, but they cost $300-$500.

The 9800 Pro is excellent card for the money, most of the them are the same. ATi, MSI and Saphire ones are good.

*oh noes only 50 fps, what shal I dooo!!?+*

1. The models in CS/CS:CZ/CS:S is running in 25 fps, you only need 25 fps to see them correctly.

2. If you have a CRT, you only need 50 FPS to run it nice.

3. I am leet!

That link is no worky.

Anyway...I've got this baby and I couldn't be more happy. It's the best video card I have ever boughten.

I have the same card :-P... i hafta agree very nice card and stays nice and cool

Yep, that one's good. Don't bother getting 256mb card because you won't gain much performance.

frusion said:
i take pride in being successful and rich in some way :farmer:
Does that mean you have to be an arrogant ass as well? Or ignorant or dismissive to others who don't have so much money to burn?

9800 pro is a good card that is totally capable of running HL2 with all settings on high. Its a good choice.

I had a 9800 pro before my 6800GT. SOLID card. I loved that thing, it was great and ran everything without a hitch.

No. Faster clock speeds as far as core goes, but it's a smaller die process (.15 vs .13 nm) not to mention having only 4 pixel pipes

I would personally wait and save up for an x800 pro or something of the like.

I'd happily go for 9800pro, any make except Powercolor :)

The 9800pro is the best card for £ to power value imo.

Go get it

man why u get teh 9800 por it suxxx :x

u shuld spend 60000000000$ on teh new NASA cardzz d00d, duh, jeez.

I have a 9800pro 128mb

Can you handle full details doom 3/farcry with a 9800 pro/xt ?

I can run doom 3 on like medium-high (more to the high) settings. No lag. It's $200 less then the cards it competes with and is the only way to go truthfull....unless you have a ton of money to blow. And in that case you better off with more ram or a faster processor then buying the better vid card anyway.

I can't think of a better price/performance ratio than the 9800 Pro (except for the 6800GT but that's on the pricey side). The 9800 Pro is perhaps the best value of the previous generation. You can't go wrong with it!

Yes. Doom 3 on medium (could probably do high but the differences are pretty slight) with all settings on and 1024 resolution with latest drivers gives good fps (at least 50, I don't know specific numbers but it's rarely choppy or slow downs at all) on my P4 2.8 w/ 1 gig ram setup. With 8x anistropic and 2x (temporal) AA.

Far Cry I could run on Ultra High, although I found that it did tend to lag - so I turned Shadows all the way down to really low detail and it's fine (other things could probably be sacrificed instead, but the shadows in FC aren't really that important I don't think). I think the reso I had for that was 1024 as well, with 2x AA and 8x anistropic.

UT2400 can run on all the highest settings on 1280 with no hitches whatsoever.

I have a 9800 Pro and I'm happy with it.
65fps on the HL2 Video Stress Test on high quality.

the 9800pro is still a great card for these days.

I haven't run a game yet I can't run at the highest settings along with some AF/AA also

While we're on the subject, how does the XT compare to the pro. Is it that much better?

Oh and I really couldnt give a sh*t about the people who come in here and try to impress people with their 600 dollar video card which will be out of date in a few months, so howbout you stop throwing in your worthless commments.

While the XT is better than the Pro, it's not THAT much better (maybe 15%-20% if that). If anyone is going to buy an XT, pay no more than $220 for it.

I had a ATi9800 pro myself, I really enjoyed the card and have moved onto an Asus A9800XT 256mb, great card, if I may suggest, get the 9800xt, works amazingly great and is dropping in price, it definitly boots the 9800 pro in the ass.. :) but the pro is still a gret card
oldfaq

Adrien C said:
Can you handle full details doom 3/farcry with a 9800 pro/xt ?

Obviously your framerates are going to depend on your proc and RAM just as much as your vid card. As long as you've got a fairly high-end proc and 512m-1gig of RAM, you'll be able to run Doom 3 and Far Cry at really high settings and get a smooth framerate regardless of your choice (9800pro or better).

-UnmarkedOne

So I'll be fine then, 2.4 GHZ and 512 RAM, plus with the 9800 pro 256 MB I should hopefully run Hl2 to it's greatness.

Back