Airsoft

repiV

Tank
Reaction score
Anyone here play airsoft?

I had a passing interest in it years ago and bought an M16A2 and MP5A4 (Tokyo Marui for anyone that knows their airsoft) as it was looking like they were going to make the sale, import or manufacture of replica firearms illegal in the UK. As it happens, they did exactly that :rolleyes: - but you get an exemption if you play airsoft!

Recently for whatever reason I decided to bring my guns back from London where I had left them when I moved and rekindled my interest. So after spending an eye-watering amount of money this month on kit, I've been to a couple of game days so far. There's a surprising amount of places to play...it seems to have grown far more popular in the last several years. I'd say as a hobby rather than a birthday party activity it has a load more players than paintball now. There's three sites local to me, two of which are accessible by public transport and one via a 3.5 mile walk (now lift by new friends, fortunately).

The first place I played at was a CQB site and about half the people playing were Royal Marines. That ended up being quite painful. Got shot in the forehead three times at close range and once on the top of the head. Some interesting marks to show for it! One guy got his tooth shot out, which is why I wear a shemagh... o_O

The other is a woodland site. It's mainly a paintball place split up into arenas but in the afternoon all the paintballers had gone home and they gave us the entire 120 acre site for an epic 3 hour game. Which started off very promisingly, as myself and my four new friends who I had met the previous week managed to make our way around stealthily and stalk a group of enemies for a while before taking them out before they even knew we were there.

It went downhill when we got spotted figuring out how to attack a fort soon after, and I got shot. I consequently spent the entire remaining two and a half hours of the game walking 200 paces up a very steep hill because I was dead, then walking back down it again to try and find anyone from my team, getting shot and walking 200 paces up the hill again. With the occasional 5 minute interval to observe groups of enemies, try and figure out how to get around them quietly...and then get shot. My arthritic ankle did not thank me for this one bit! Now I want some binoculars or a 4x scope because it was impossible to tell what team anyone was on at a distance.

It's a completely different game from paintball in a lot more ways than you might expect. In woodland it's a lot slower-paced and more strategic, since the weapons are generally full-auto and a lot more accurate to much higher ranges than paintball guns are you can't really get away with charging around. You also have to watch out for snipers (a decent airsoft sniper rifle with some money poured into it can be accurate up to about 250ft) and support weapons. Those things can lay down in excess of 25 rounds per second, they're quite awesome! There's also a lot to be said for being able to line up a target down the iron sights and squeeze off a 3-round burst. :)

It's pretty good exercise for endurance. The woodland day was pretty tiring. I'm glad to see some functional benefit from lifting weights actually, when I first bought that M16 it was quite heavy to hold but I managed to lug it around all day along with everything else. Definitely think I would have struggled majorly before.

In anticipation of this thread being useless without pics, here's some of my gear:

20120724_221614.jpg

M16 (+ magazines)
MP5 (+ magazines...I need loads more magazines - shit gets expensive!)
British Army issue assault vest I picked up from the surplus store. £45 brand new, you can tell we're going through defence cuts. I also got some nearly-new camo jacket/trousers for dirt cheap.
Kneepads (glad I got those).
And so on.

So...as to the original topic. Does anyone play airsoft? :)

I used to play just a tiny but with my cousins, but other than that I've been more of a collector/plinker.

I've got a Tokyo Marui MP7 and an SRC G36 with various upgrades/replacement parts.

Haven't bought anything airsoft related in years though.

I've been a little interested in getting back into Airsoft, but unfortunately here(army post) fake weapons aren't really smiled upon. Or allowed, I think. I'd have to go double check.

This is central cali too, so there's forests EVERYWHERE. It'd be pretty awesome I think, especially with my military experience. I did get to do some field exercises, not many, but some. I rate as a marksman with the M16A2, too.

I have a Tokyo Marui SG552. Swiss baby!

I have a gas powered glock, a spring loaded M1911 and HK G3. Or at least, I think I do. The last two may have been thrown out over the years, but I did see the glock hanging around in my parent's basement not too long ago. Got them all probably 8 or 9 years ago.

Ahh gas blowback pistols are awesome. I also bought a KSC USP .45 at the time aswell, full metal. Felt really solid. Surprisingly accurate and well ranged for such a small piece of kit aswell. Unfortunately in the intervening years it's been left at my dads house some kid nicked it. Now the same gun costs 200 quid for some reason. And the adding complication of having to get a license (of sorts) to buy one. :/

I've been a little interested in getting back into Airsoft, but unfortunately here(army post) fake weapons aren't really smiled upon. Or allowed, I think. I'd have to go double check.

This is central cali too, so there's forests EVERYWHERE. It'd be pretty awesome I think, especially with my military experience. I did get to do some field exercises, not many, but some. I rate as a marksman with the M16A2, too.

Duuuude. California is one of the airsoft capitals of the world. You should definitely get back into it!

It would be interesting to play in the States. You guys have much higher FPS limits for outdoor play. Here any fully automatic airsoft gun shooting over 370FPS is classed in the highest category of restricted firearm and you get a mandatory five year prison sentence for possession of one (I know, WTF). Most sites run 350 or 328 max for AEGs and 400 for sniper rifles. My M16 only does about 270-280 stock...defo need to get it upgraded!

Back