Alfred Reynolds Interview

rec

Reaction score
Australia's OzForces have conducted an interesting interview with Alfred Reynolds, the creator of AdminMOD who turned Valve employee not all that long ago.

OZGN: Have there been any discussions regarding the implementation of Admin Mod in HL2? If not are there plans to support it?

Alfred Reynolds: With the huge majority of dedicated servers running some form of 3rd party plug-ins, we will certainly include this ability in the HL2. We also expect to have an interface designed for 3rd party programs.
The majority of the discussion regards Half-Life, as opposed to Half-Life 2 but is well worth the read regardless.

Originally posted by rec
Australia's OzForces have -> confucted <- an interesting interview with Alfred Reynolds, the creator of AdminMOD who turned Valve employee not all that long ago.

Don't mean to be anal but you better change that..could be mistaken for a negitive remark regarding the interview.

Thanks for pointing that out, I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. ;)

Updated.

we will certainly include this? we also expect to have an.....? hl2 not ready by far?

Didn't even think of it like that Punitor... Nice spotting.

I got the impression it was a pretty old interview when I read it. I might be wrong though

Yeah nice spot

Does sound like a slip doesn't it ? How can you talk about including or expecting to have...if all was ready it should already be in and should know if it is in, not expect to have in :p

Ooops...someone needs politician training - you know, the kind where you give and answer that answers nothing really but sounds impressive till you think about it :p

Originally posted by Fenric1138
I got the impression it was a pretty old interview when I read it. I might be wrong though

I initially thought that too, but I came to the conclusion that they would of put up the interview the day they got it, and would not be so stupid as to put up thier old news as if it was new news - the regular members would of flamed them like crazy :p

Originally posted by ASnogarD
I initially thought that too, but I came to the conclusion that they would of put up the interview the day they got it, and would not be so stupid as to put up thier old news as if it was new news - the regular members would of flamed them like crazy :p

heheh yeah you've got a point there.. Maybe that add-on Valve have hinted at is the one he's talking about, with the adminmod and other multiplayer goodies. Or maybe now its been pushed back to April (which seems in the absense of any real word either way, is the best idea of the release date) They've decided to make the most of the extra time and add all those things they planned for the add-on into the actual program in the first place. Maybe improve other features, add monsters and locations or scenes they wanted but didn't originally have the time to include. It was interesting about the high res textures for HL1, I wonder if they plan on also including those at the same time. That would be pretty neat, updated models and textures for the original Half-Life, more detailed than the high-def version supplied with BS. Breath a whole new life into the original game. Now it would be REALLY cool if Gearbox did the same for Opposing Force aswell. Unlike many things where certain area's are improved and its rebadged as a special edition. I think those two games would do incredibly well updated like that. I'd certainly play them. in order before playing HL2... actually no I probably wouldn't, I doubt I could stop myself from wanting to play HL2 the second I buy it :)

Didn't they already put a feature-lock on it?

And why would they take more time to add extra stuff, instead of just trying to get it out the door?

it's very possible that a team of people are working on a patch already that was never intended to make the initial release.

with the delay (however long it may actually be) that patch may end up being included with the shipped game.

Back