Edge Magazine With Valve - Highlights

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score

Edge 250 has been released. You can subscribe and pick up the print edition, or you can purchase this issue via the iTunes and Play marketplaces for around $7. Below are some excerpts lifted from the Valve editorial inside:

"Newell replies to our question offhandedly, 'We think of ourselves as a game developer, sure.'"

"Valve comprises just 350 people, stretched over six floors... Valve also opened a new floor to house audio studios last month, which marketing director Doug Lombardi had managed to forget until reminded of it."

"Valve might seem to be straying into territory outside of games... The point, according to Newell... 'When you're off working on user interfaces for letting you friends sort groups of their friends by the games they have, certainly game developers think you're doing game development at that point,' he says. 'Or if you're making a TF2 short. It's just the definition of what gamers want continues to change all the time. And we just feel like we're following behind and trying to understand that better.'"

"Valve wanted [Icefrog's] talent rather than to specifically make Dota 2, and the eventual decision to work on the game is an example of Valve's pragmatism. In Johnson's words, Valve's goal in decision making is, 'What is the most efficient thing for us to work on to entertain the most people?' This is also an insight into why another sequel to Half-Life hasn't yet appeared - making a highly expensive, linear, story-driven singleplayer game just isn't efficient when stacked against the community payoffs of a top-class multiplayer game."

[box=left][/box] "In August 2011, Valve ran The International... 'For now, it's a little bit of a Band-Aid while we figure out how professional gamers can make a bunch of money - basically be compensated for the value they're actually producing,' Johnson explains. Valve sees professional players as 'content producers'."

[On the subject of the Steam Workshop] "'One thing we think is happening is at some point you guys are going to have Developers Of The Year and it's going to be the gamers themselves,' says Newell. 'We're going to end up with a situation where companies are best at creating a framework in which gamers are creating the vast majority of the value; that notion of user-generated content is going to be critical for the next round of successful entertainment properties.'"

"The Steam Linux client originated with Newell pushing the idea five years ago... It seems like a prescient approach now, with business developer Anna Sweet encapsulating the trend by explaining that 'as a whole the industry is looking at different platforms and different ways to reach gamers.' But Valve still doesn't know the extent of the market for games on Linux. It does know how much passion there is in Linux's community, though."[box=right][/box]

[On Big Picture Mode] "'We just want to prove that divide no longer really serves software developers or users,' reinforces Newell. But when Holtman evangelises the idea that PC games subtly change when they're made communal on a TV, you can't help but feel that Valve's also consciously making a bid for territory long held by consoles. Both Holtman and Greg Coomer would still distance themselves from the idea of Valve as a competitor to the console makers; as ever, it's about what the players want."

"'We're thinking a lot about input, actually, and we have some people here who are thinking about taking the hardware side of input in a number of different directions,' explains Coomer... Using the example of playing Dota 2 in the living room, Coomer says that the team is seeing if it's possible to deliver an even better play experience via a traditional gamepad than players can get at a desk."

[box=left][/box]"Longer term, Valve is thinking about entirely new platforms, including speculative wearable computing that Michael Abrash is imaging... 'Optics are hard problems, five years out as opposed to five-month problems,' Newell warns."

[On the employee handbook] "'It's been almost overwhelming, the outpouring and questions about it,' says Coomer, its author. 'Agencies from all over the world were getting in touch: public works, legal institutions, real estate, a lot of companies interested in reforming their organisation from the practices outlined.'"

"'We're really good for people who like to set their own agendas, manage themselves, who've shipped their own products, are experienced, and we have people who are just as comfortable going on TV doing an interview as thinking about server costs and designing weapons,' says Newell, 'We're a great environment for someone who has that kind of breadth and flexibility, but we're a terrible environment for somebody who's coming straight out of school.'"

Attachments

• edge-cover.jpg
    edge-cover.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 11,828
  • cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 3,590
  • edge-page1.jpg
    edge-page1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3,554
  • edge-page2.jpg
    edge-page2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 3,816
  • cover-full.jpg
    cover-full.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 963
  • edge-page1-full.jpg
    edge-page1-full.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 927
  • edge-page2-full.jpg
    edge-page2-full.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 965
  • slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 11,693
"It's all about what the players want."
"HL3 won't have enough of a profit margin for us to make it."

Got it.

Same ol' stuff... doesn't sound like there is anything too fantastical or new... cool pictures though!

You think not? Let's break this down. In the end, it will come down to a matter of opinion, but I think it's valid to have the conversation.

Valve's pragmatism.

Pragmatism, the linking of your practices to the theories that guide you. One of Valve's most interesting practices is that they exhaustively collect data on every aspect of their business, in order to further build upon their theory, implement into their practices, recursivity into infinity.

****ing doing this at work and have to drive to Quantico for some dumb retirement ceremony. I'll finish this later.

Saved for edits.

"Valve wanted [Icefrog's] talent rather than to specifically make Dota 2, and the eventual decision to work on the game is an example of Valve's pragmatism. In Johnson's words, Valve's goal in decision making is, 'What is the most efficient thing for us to work on to entertain the most people?' This is also an insight into why another sequel to Half-Life hasn't yet appeared - making a highly expensive, linear, story-driven singleplayer game just isn't efficient when stacked against the community payoffs of a top-class multiplayer game."

Later day edit: Clarification everyone, quotes in quotes are important for syntax, thus, the latter portion, which was what upset me, was not necessarily a view that is or has been held by Valve personnel.

/cancelled rant

Have ordered the hard copy to be delivered. Thanks for the heads-up!

"...making a highly expensive, linear, story-driven singleplayer game just isn't efficient when stacked against the community payoffs of a top-class multiplayer game."

are you ****ing kidding me, lombardi?

if i cared solely about payoffs and efficiency while running TF2Pricecheck...i would have had 70,000 TF2 traders knocking on my door to bash my face in.

good job shitting on the roots of PC Gaming and Computer Programming. this is repulsive.

Valve knows with every HL game they make, they usher in a new game engine with a myrid of other new creations that set the stage for the community to develop mods and all the user generated content that the gaben has been gushing about for the last 6 months.

how are they going to push the Source2 engine and The Steam Box without a product to showcase with it? more and more ports? games from 3rd party developers that are featured on greenlight?

valve is abandoning its identity. as a die hard fanboy of everything valve....valve isnt valve anymore and it hurts.

...and thus the remaining faith i have in valve is lost. HL3 is vaporware.

"...making a highly expensive, linear, story-driven singleplayer game just isn't efficient when stacked against the community payoffs of a top-class multiplayer game."

are you ****ing kidding me, lombardi?

Heads up, but Doug, nor anyone else from Valve said that. All Erik Johnson said was "What is the most efficient thing for us to work on to entertain the most people?" and then that latter stuff is conjecture on behalf of Edge Magazine.

Well then I guess I'm just a knee-jerking asshole.

Edit: Thanks for clearing that up, smash.

Heads up, but Doug, nor anyone else from Valve said that. All Erik Johnson said was "What is the most efficient thing for us to work on to entertain the most people?" and then that latter stuff is conjecture on behalf of Edge Magazine.

thank you for the clarification, smash.

unfortunately, that does not change my POV. i remember an interview Chet Faliszek did that alienated me as a gamer, not just as a valve fan boy, which epitomized the growing gap valve is creating between their old fan base that grew up on HL (like me) and their new fan base that is growing up on TF2/DOTA2 (and steam sales) that they want to facilitate to. i will try to find the interview.

after spending 2 years on top of the TF2 trading scene (valve's "test tube baby"), and the last year developing TF2PC, "giving myself a job" as Chet Faliszek suggested, it has given me a very...eye opening...glimpse of how valve operates on the inside.

ive modeled business operations inside TF2PC after everything valve...because it works.

for the last year, its basically been my job to stay on point with developments inside valve and where they are going as a company, because TF2PC, the 70,000 people that use TF2PC, and my "hobby-job" is dependent on what valve is doing.

the platforms that sites like TF2PC, BP.TF, bazaar.tf, sourceop/tf2items, steamrep, steamp3, tf2wh and tf2outpost create are exactly the type of platforms valve creates for steam, but specifically for the TF2 trading community.

open steamworks and steamkit are the pinnacle of the user generated content valve talks about, but mainstream steam doesnt know about.

we do what valve does every day, but on a much, much smaller scale.

when BMS was released, the amount of people inside the TF2 trading community (which is valves gateway to attracting new players) that never played HL....was TOO DAMN HIGH. i know that BMS was the introduction to HL for the majority of the "new school" players that valve attracts through TF2/DOTA2, which makes me go "hmmmmm..."

valve right now is all about developing platforms, and expanding steam to the moble and gaming console markets. that is fantastic, but it is slowly causing people like me to wish they were just a video game company again.....

sorry for ranting, i was banned off SPUF for ranting about the same thing, and banned off BMS forums for ranting at Raminator.

HL fans like me have been hurting for a while now.

Back