All the small things...

Reaction score
Between gentle sips of finest English/American tea and OES revolutionarising-type-things (hush hush about that for now ;) ) noble qckbeam and I came to realise something:

Everyone's making huuuuuuuge mods with huuuuuge maps and loads of vechiles and weapons etc... what about the little things?

So this is what we're going to do, make little mods for HL2 et all.. things like:

Power-Ups
Third Person view
Low Gravity
Ironsights

just ickle, unspectacular things, like mutators on UT... little things to spice up single player after the 3rd run through...

So anyone else got some good ideas for little bitz?

Cant you make a mutator mod or something? Can be fun to play around with in MP :)

(and with mutator i mean that you can add some mutators when you create a game and play around with them)

Add economy. Heh, how about that, you tired of saving the world, so you just set up the store and do quests, upgrading, getting more people. After you get tired, you go on and save the wolrd again.

Majestic XII said:
Cant you make a mutator mod or something? Can be fun to play around with in MP :)

(and with mutator i mean that you can add some mutators when you create a game and play around with them)
Yeah, think mutators... thats the kind of thing we are aiming for... will do a proper frontend for it, so people can simply select what they want :)

Anyway, I was jocking, but I still don't understand what do you mean by small things? Attention to the details? Because Power-Ups, Third Person view, Low Gravity, Ironsights won't make me want to replay the game again. If you want people to replay your single player mod, make different endings to the game, and not like you have three choices in the end, but endings based on what you did during the game. Most of the things like Ironsights or Low Gravity doesn't play any role at all, you will forget about them by the second level, and if game leaves them ou,t, you don't really care. Aim for something different.

I mean little modifications... and this is unrelated to OES...

(OES does have endings based on your experience)

And probably they'd be best in Multiplayer :)

We are planning on having a small mod that actually modifies the HL2 UI to allow for the selection of mutators we build. I imagine some will be mod specific, while others will be universal. Think of our idea in two parts though.

Part 1:The modified interface with the ability to select mutators.
Part 2:The actual mutators.

It's possible that not all of Part 2 will be done by us, since people can make their own mutators too, although the first of them will be released by ourselves. Neither one of those should be tough to pull off (we will have to wait and see). It's a small modification really, but then that's the point :)

Yeah, I want to see lots of small things... My original mod was a small one basicly just adding group morale (changing strenght/HP/whatever) for MP, Unaimed, but it became increasingly complex... Then I went to another project which is a full mod.

For Savage I started Wartorn which was suppose to be a small mod also adding group morale (in this case in the form of the commander appointed officer giving armor to surrounding units), then it changed into nearly a full mod, altering/adding buildings, units, weapons and changing economy alltogether in the latest version (Wartorn 2.3 Revision 2, I love my naming conventions).

Bah, evolution sucks! :p

Anyway, more small mods!!!

I plan to create some "small" content before going for the big bacon... actually I'd like to round up one or two other guys to start on a HL2-Minigame compilation ("MADGAMES")

Basically it'd just feature some moronic multiplayer gametypes to experiment with the new engine and new concepts...

Some raw scribbles:

- Hold the Button (inspired by www.holdthebutton.com) where you have to contuniously "USE" a big red buttonsomewhere on the map to score (includes Team-Holdthebutton)

- Capture the Whatever ... replaces the standard CTF Flag with any Object (Safe, Brick, Barney, Tuba....) desired which has to be levitated (via gravgun) to your own object to score.

- Nuke the Target ... Theres a big target on the map, you score by just punching damage onto it (in any way possible (shooting, throwingstuff at it etc.)

- Recycling Run ... Every team has a set of recycling containers, the map is full of trash and has to be cleaned... points are awarded for correctly disposed trash...

- Recycling Riot ... Every teams has a container, points are scored by tossing enemy bodies into them...

- Gap Hopping ... somewhere on the map is a big gap, every hop over it scores points (exessive use of rocketjumping!)

- Stomp-InstaGib ... self-explanatory

- Towerbuilding... every team gets a build zone, first team to build a tower of a certain height wins (pile the junk)

- Firefighting... every team get a burning house and tries to get buckets of water as fast as possible from the water source to their house...

- Scrap combat... gravgun only, lots of junk on the map

Aim for something different.

I think those do :smoking:

Back