Alternative Ending! *Big Spoiler*

Reaction score
OMG. Breen can win. I had not noticed yet! But if you wait for a bit when those protective plates rotate at the end he actually wins and you get the black screen with the message:
Assignment: Terminated
Subject: Freeman
Reason: Failure to prevent time-critical sequence
Why oh why havent i notice this yet?!?

I noticed it, just didnt think it was worth bringing up.

Same thing happens with a diffo message if you knock the car over the edge of the coast levels.

Yup, i just did not know this could happen as i have heard no mention of this at *any* time... i am very sorry if most people knew this, i was just convinced i waited a long enough time the first time round i played to think there was no way of failing.....

Interesting. Sure, the assignment terminated messages are a classic by now - if you lose your vehicle or something like that. Hadn't seen this one, though.

Exactly, i didn't think that alot of people had seen this one, though i am probably wrong. The assignment messages are really quite cool.

I wonder why is this nothing new to most people, have they failed at that point or what :p?

not really a alternate ending, just means you failed the mission or game over (but with the replaying your last save part)

not really a alternate ending, just means you failed the mission or game over
As you can fail the mission, and not only succede as i thought before, then yes it is an alternative ending.

Same happens if you let the train go by you without racing towards it first in the Coast level.

Same thing happens after Nova Prospekt when Alyx is opening the doors in City17 square and the combine are coming from left and right. It happens if you don't get through the doors in time I think.

And Half life 1 when you choose not to take up his offer of employment.

Not really in HL1. It say observation terminated, not mission failed :D

Not really in HL1. It say observation terminated, not mission failed
True... but i think we can safely assume that Gordon is terminated when he tries to fight those 20+ huge aliens with not so much as a crowbar :)

I never got any of those... I guess I'm just too good.
Myeees that must be it :)
There was also one in HL1 where you needed a guard to open a door, and if you let him die (or shot him out of spite) the message would appear.

Assignment: Terminated
Subject: Freeman
Reason: Extreme Error in judgement
or summit like that it said :p when i jumped of cliff cos i ran out of rockets for liek the 50th time on highway 17 and that basterd gunship!!

I dont get the text messages. Just black screen and then loading. I want messages! I need them! Help!

thats not the only alternative in the game... in follow freeman I had a loading bug and alyx did not appear, so I continued the game without her. some minutes later I died at a stairway/corner so I had to reload. this time alyx showed up at the particular site!! at the next loadingpoint I noticed a door which actually was the corner I died when alyx wasn't there... I know its not that easy to understand and I'm really sorry that I have no screens... however first of all I couldt belive that there was an alternative route, so I started a new game right at follow freeman 3 times, and each try alyx appeard, so I have absolutly no clue where I was when she didn't support me.

Back