am i the only one bothered by supersonic speed survivors?

nerdcorerocks

Reaction score
I've had my eye on this game for awhile, and I think it looks great. All the videos have looked really cool as well, but I just started to notice something a couple weeks ago...the survivors are too damn fast!!!

I mean really, the gameplay doesn't even seem all that creepy because they just run and hop around like maniacs. I don't mind a sprint function (even a really long one), but this is too much. Really, watch the videos and think about how much more tense it would be if you could only move at 1/2 or 2/3 of that speed or whatever. It would be a lot more like a movie where a group of people are cautiously moving through a zombie infested area.

Anyone with me?

Moving any slower than that would make it no fun considering the zombies run damn fast.

I know what your talking about and there is no sprint. The zombies run faster than you and often times to be accurate, you have to stop moving and that's when the horde get you. Then you have the Infected who are a real pain in the butt as shown by the latest videos. It's the same running speed as CS. It will feel normal and rest assured, Valve will make the game fun. ;)

I'm sure there will be mods where there is a more slowpaced style of moving and action.

As long as the Infected as faster I don't think it's bad that the survivors are quick. Thinking about it, you'd want to get away as fast as you could and there is nothing worse (IMO) than having to footslog it at silly pace over long distances. I guess it's all about the relative speed of the enemy. You can be as fast as you want, but if they're faster it matters not.

The infeted are faster, and therefore it kind of renders the point of slowing down the survivors null.
Plus if you wanted to add suspense by making them slower, don't worry, the director already takes care of that.
Plus there's the pressure of walking with your flashlight off to avoid the boss infected seeing you, or something like that...

I think the survivers should be slower. Just to make it look better and more realistic.

I'll take fun over realism any day.

The speed is perfect I think. It's not too slow where you feel like your character is dragging your feet, but it's definitely not "supersonic speed"

Trust me when I say in the game, you'll be like "Where the hell is the sprint button?!?" :LOL:

I agree.

But I think realism is fun lol

Realism can be fun to a certain extent.
But seeing as this is a zombie survival game, they need to make it fair for both sides.
Would you really like to die and sit in spectator mode 900 times a round/map all because you moved slower than a snail?
Cause technically, this is a chaotic situation and so I think the movement speed for the survivors reflects that.
They're not going to walk around an area when they know there's HOLY****FAST zombies running around.

Well im not thinking about slowly walkling. I want them to be running but I just think they are running a bit to fast and I think it will fell very spammy like half life 2 deathmatch where everyone is sprinting around like crazy.

But there are other details i don't like, for exampel the 50 round magasin in the M16, small stuff like that really ruins it for me, I know im begin a nub but im just saying what i fell.

Im still looking forward to this game.

I mean really, the gameplay doesn't even seem all that creepy because they just run and hop around like maniacs.
Hahaha.

The game is very creepy. When you find yourself surrounded by a huge horde, you'll be scrambling to hit the sprint button because you aren't moving fast enough.

The environments are very eerie as well.

Its worth noting that Left4Dead spawned from counterstrike, the ai controller and zombie setting within the established multiplayer gameplay, it was never intended to be a slow paced survival horror game.

Also being multiplayer means other players will always have an odd control about them, some people like to hop about non stop in games like their poor jump button has a deathwish, and its impossible to make them animate perfectly like real people without putting really annoying hinderances on the controls.

I really hate things like Viewbobbing in certain games, some people seem to think it "enhances realism", personaly i really dont understand it, in real life you dont consiously take notice of every single step effecting your view, its like the games are full of speed bumps or somthing.

Well I don't want the gameplay to be slow i just want them to slow the speed down a litte bit, I just think its a little bit to fast.

Well I don't want the gameplay to be slow i just want them to slow the speed down a litte bit, I just think its a little bit to fast.

Don't worry, i never even gave this aspect a second thought when playing, it all seems perfectly fitting. The zombies all move at varying speeds depending on their alertness and how much the palyer has disturbed them, it all fits well, trust me.

...some people like to hop about non stop in games like their poor jump button has a deathwish, and its impossible to make them animate perfectly like real people without putting really annoying hinderances on the controls.

Bunnyhopping, and indeed any incessant jumping of any kind annoys me, and really detracts from any sense of immersion. I say IMMERSION as opposed to REALISM, since I can suspend my sense of reality to put myself into a fantastical game world, but as soon as something that violates certain fundamental rules of how the world behaves, it generally ruins it for me.
It's very easy to solve the problem, make jumping use stamina, like sprinting.

I really hate things like Viewbobbing in certain games, some people seem to think it "enhances realism"...

I don't mind view bobbing, since while not necessarily "realistic", it imparts a sense that you're using bipedal motion, as opposed to gliding across the ground like some holy-powered nun. It also makes it harder to aim, which makes sense when you're running.

As for super sonic survivors... well if zombies came running at me full tilt, I know that I'd RUN THE HELL AWAY. FAST. But if you want to creep along tactically, I'm sure that, with most games, there are aiming advantages to moving slower, crouching, etc.

Someone I talked to complained that they reload too fast now too. But I've noticed that the fast reload only happens when you still have ammo in the gun (and thus a round chambered). The long reloading (as in older vids) happens when you empty your gun, With the exception of the pistols, you have to recock the weapon to chamber a round before firing. This is realistic as far as I know.

I can confirm the reloads are all correct, i went through the weapons and they have correct reload actions depending on the state of load in the gun.

If they made the survivors move slower it wouldn't be as fun IMO it works for other zombie games like Resident Evil but this isn't RE...

Back