Amnesia: The Dark Descent Gone Gold

OK to anybody that has finished the game. I'm at the part where you have to fix the machine to start the elevator. I'm in the storage are. I've already avoided the monster, I have the explosive mixture, and there's a hallway blocked by boulders. Initially I thought that's what the explosive was fore, but nope. So yeah I'm stuck...

the explosive is for the boulders iirc.

I just finished the game, and got the agrippa ending.

I loved this game, one of the most impressive and immersive games I've played.

Man. Played another 30 minutes today. Thought I could handle the water area after supposedly completing the whole thing in the demo.

I was wrong.

There was one last water bit that wasnt in the demo, and that was by far the most terrifying experience in the game for me thus far. At that point, I was so scared I didnt pay attention to where I was going. All that mattered was separating myself from that thing and trying to slow it down as much as I could.

Reaching the next area felt so good, I felt so happy to get to an area with no water, plenty of light, no bad guys, and soothing music. These devs really know how to scare you good, and then make up for it later. Thats when I stopped playing, I didnt even want to leave that area :p

I am tempted to play this but i am too much of a pussy.

I finished it.

Got the good ending, though I did have Agrippa's head, I just forgot about it.

It was a great experience for sure. I do kind of wish there was more variety in the in the enemies. Overture was perfect in that sense, and I also think it had better horror aspects than Amnesia. Amnesia seemed to give you way too many tinderboxes. I think I had just over 30 in the end. I did enjoy the story though, and everything made complete sense in the end.

You know what ruins the "horror" for me?

The fact that once you encounter a monster, and you successfully hide from it, it just leaves. At first I thought they just wander off, and that there still was danger, but no, once you successfully hide from them they just vanish into thin air and you're perfectly safe to continue your exploring. Once I figured that out it was partly ruined. The only monster so far that doesn't follow this rule is the invisible water creature.

You know what ruins the "horror" for me?

The fact that once you encounter a monster, and you successfully hide from it, it just leaves. At first I thought they just wander off, and that there still was danger, but no, once you successfully hide from them they just vanish into thin air and you're perfectly safe to continue your exploring. Once I figured that out it was partly ruined. The only monster so far that doesn't follow this rule is the invisible water creature.

Yeah, I noticed that. It definitely would have been more tense if they didn't just disappear. Also, the fact that Alexander kept dogs to experiment on made me hopeful that I'd eventually encounter tortured animals of some sort. The dogs in Overture were one of the scariest aspects of that game for me.

Hahah, had a funny encounter just now.

Initially I ran from one of those humanoid monsters with the intention to hide, but I wound up in well lit room *facepalm*.

So I noticed this table in the corner of the room and I jumped over it. When the thing came in, it saw me charged but couldn't get to me LOL.

So I just left Daniel staring at it as it was walking in place like a dumb ass. I was going "look at it bitch! look at it!" :p. So Daniel stayed like that for an hour as I left for lunch LOL. I was curious to see how insane I could get him, but was disappointed when I came back to find him just fine...

Just bought it because I have the day off, it's compatible to both my desktop PC and my Macbook, it is cheap, I like to support indie devs, and you guys are all so positive. Any tips or pointers? I never played Penumbra or other predecessors.

Played until ...

... I tore down the flesh thingy blocking the entrance to the Refinery ...
... but didn't have one scare yet. The game doesn't immerse me enough to stop noticing the game mechanics. Seeing through the devs' intentions takes away a lot of scaring potential. Example:

At one point you see the Frankenstein-like monster for the first time. Since he is moving away from you he clearly forms no threat. He went through a doorway and I followed him immediately to find the next room totally empty.
Also the insanity mechanic is quite irritating. It is probably meant to add to the atmosphere, but for me it works contrary. It is like the game is telling me "Oooh, you have to be scared now!" while I don't feel that way at all. It works like a badly timed laughing track in a TV sitcom. I can understand that a lot of people will like this game, but I guess it is not for me.

Also, has anyone tried the custom scenarios out yet?

Things get scarier after the refinery, in my opinion. Also, I kind of like the insanity mechanic because it forces you to make a choice when confronted with enemies. Hiding in the dark will keep you safe, but staying in the dark for too long will drain your sanity.

Things get scarier after the refinery, in my opinion. Also, I kind of like the insanity mechanic because it forces you to make a choice when confronted with enemies. Hiding in the dark will keep you safe, but staying in the dark for too long will drain your sanity.

True but right before the first confrontation with a monster I also very conveniently found some laudanum. I probably haven't played enough. I am about 90 minutes in now and what I have done so far seemed to be the 'tutorial'.

And not to sound all negative: I am amazed at the amount of polish for a game made by such a small team. You get a lot of quality for such a small price. My lack of enthusiasm is more due to me not being easily scared than to the game itself.

Well, hopefully the game will be able to scare you in later parts. I do admit the first bit of the game is all bark and no bite. After completing that first "hub" area you do get thrown into tenser (sp?) situations. I scare very easily though, so maybe what is scary to me isnt to others :p

Just finished it, my only complaint is

There are way too many grunt encounters in the jail section. They just get annoying. If you could fight them it would be a different story, but running away and hiding every couple of minutes gets old fast

The beginning parts of the game were the scariest to me so far. You're subject to all this build up and you don't know what to expect or when to expect it. Then you get your first confrontation and I screamed like a big fat lady.

just played the demo and WOW, what an awesome experience
survival horror isn't exactly a fav genre of mine, nor have I played any of the Penumbra games
but I'm definitely going to be getting this on Steam asap

Back