Amnesia: The Dark Descent: Preview

Paulaner

Space Core
Reaction score
From Strategy Informer:

Overall though, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is shaping up very well. Well, technically it's shaping up horribly, but in a great way. Penumbra was fantastic in parts, but it was a schizophrenic beast, unsure of what sort of game it wanted to be. By contrast Amnesia is the second child of parents who have learned from their experiences, and looks to be a much more balanced, more professional creation. And regardless of how the overall game turns out, one thing is already very clear – it's going to scare you absolutely witless.

Full Article

Love it. Really looking forward to Amnesia.

Same here. I pre-ordered and can't wait to get to dive in to the terrifically frightful atmosphere!

What I want to know is why it looks like it was made in 2002?

Looking forward to this, even though I'm yet to play through the Penumbra series. Got them all on Steam waiting though.

Looking forward to this, tho i need to finish penumbra. Penumbra is the only game that scared me so much i stopped playing O_O

What I want to know is why it looks like it was made in 2002?

Frictional is a small indie company and they are using a home-made engine. It's awesome, but you can't expect it to be on par with the engines of mainstream companies.
By the way, the old Penumbra games have an inferior engine but, in my opinion, they are the most scaring games I've ever played. Psychological horror games are perfect examples of atmosphere over graphics.

Hearing about Amnesia, I knew that PC gamers wouldn't have missed Alan Wake.

I admit to never finishing the Penumbra games(I did finish the techdemo that existed before they even announced plan for commercial games though :)), but I will probably get this, the environments etc look a lot more interesting than what I experienced in Penumbra.

Frictional is a small indie company and they are using a home-made engine. It's awesome, but you can't expect it to be on par with the engines of mainstream companies.
Exactly. And I do not want it to be. I see powerhouses like Crysis and it is like so much else in our culture: all style and NO substance. I don't like the textbook image of beauty that is fed to me by mainstream sources. I delight in imperfection and natural beauty that plays on the mind and heart as well as the glans.

Shit, there are tons and tons of DOS games that blow away most of what is released today. Glad Amnesia should be an exception. :)

Exactly. And I do not want it to be. I see powerhouses like Crysis and it is like so much else in our culture: all style and NO substance. I don't like the textbook image of beauty that is fed to me by mainstream sources. I delight in imperfection and natural beauty that plays on the mind and heart as well as the glans.

Shit, there are tons and tons of DOS games that blow away most of what is released today. Glad Amnesia should be an exception. :)

The truth, fully and absolute.

Frictional Games focuses more on the quality of their lighting and sound, rather than the amount of polygons or the resolution of textures.

Makes for an atmosphere in the game that very few games have nowadays.

Makes for an atmosphere in the game that very few games have nowadays.

And you don't have to play it "from the couch in front of a larger TV screen."
I'd like to put a nice facepalm here, but I'm still busy laughing at this ridiculous excuse from Remedy/Microsoft.

And you don't have to play it "from the couch in front of a larger TV screen."
I'd like to put a nice facepalm here, but I'm still busy laughing at this ridiculous excuse from Remedy/Microsoft.
Hahaha! I know. That may have been the lamest BS excuse I have ever heard. Glad the game turned out decidedly 'meh' so I don't have to be sad about the PC version. :thumbs:

Release date on Gamer's Gate used to be August, guess it got delayed.

yea it was august on steam for quite some time aswell

looking forward to this, i'm also going through penumbra right now and it is scaring me ****less :O

btw that mp3 theme is awesome :D

So soon?! I still have plenty of others to finish first :( .. I don't think I can handle so much scary in such a short space of time.

I never managed to finish Penumbra because I got so f*cking scared..:[

I know, I'm a pansy.

I never managed to finish Penumbra because I got so f*cking scared..:[

I know, I'm a pansy.

lol you really should. the ending was amazing to experience. in retrospect, the entire game is actually not scary at all, if you break it down into what it really is. though while playing it, i was thoroughly frightened. can't wait for this game!

You know, I never realized that first person horror adventure can be quite scary compared to most of other 3rd person horror games.

Back