Anon Protests Worldwide

Um, he said Scientology doesn't cost the lives of tens of thousands -.-

wait, now I is confused ..scientology or the war in iraq?

So you're saying this thread about protests against a cult/corporation/religion should be moved? :p

so down whit protesters go scientology stern?

so down whit protesters go scientology stern?
Keep posting RJMC, you may just save this thread yet! Confuse the politically obsessed back into their own sub-forum! QUELL THE HEATHENS!

The difference with protesting the war in Iraq - and indeed with protesting against any large religion you can name - is that a protest against Scientology can actually make a difference. They have not yet made a strong enough impression on the public consciousness that negative publicity won't do them harm. In contrast, everyone made their minds up about the Iraq war a long time ago, for better or worse.

I was in the UK when we, as a country, still hadn't completely committed to military action. The decision to take military action was still scheduled to be voted on in the House of Commons, as I remember. At that time something like 2 million people turned out in the streets of London to protest, making it the 'UK's biggest ever demonstration'. What difference did it make? Answer: not a blind bit. Commons still voted in favour of military strikes, prompting the resignation of Robin Cook (rip) among others. So as far as I'm concerned, if the largest protest EVER could make no difference back when a difference could still have been made over Iraq, then it is no use me protesting with a few dozen other people nowadays. Noble and justified, maybe, but useless.

The evil that Scientology does is inarguable. What kind of mentality is 'you can't protest against anything else until you protest the biggest issues around - it makes you superficial...!'? I'd say it means people are, perhaps depressingly, pragmatic. Even in this thread there's been one or two voices wondering 'Well what harm is Scientology, anyway...?', and coming away educated. If that's the only difference these protests are making then it's still a worthy cause. What if, centuries or millenia ago, you had had the opportunity to protest against Islam or Christianity at their inception, back when they were still in their formative stages, because of the evil you feared they might create if they gained enough momentum?

Having said that, the ignorance of a lot of the giggling youth at these protests is annoying to me. I'm happy enough for a lot of excitable stupid young people to tag along 'for the lulz' if they're just making up the bodycount, but when an opportunity comes along to question a scientologist, DON'T let those ****ing blinkered /b/tards do it. I've seen about 3 amateur vids of this kind of situation now - each time the protesters latched onto BS stuff, like trying to joke about Xenu and DC8 space-planes, COMPLETELY omitting any kind of attack on the CoS' strong-arm tactics and illicit practices. As a result it gave the Scientologists, who were far better at arguing than the protesters, an open platform to appear reasonable/appeal for sympathy/whatever. I have no doubt that to someone undecided about Scientology, these clips would have actually HELPED the CoS (the vids in question included one in NYC, one in Dublin, and I forget what the other one was).

****ING GET IT TOGETHER, ANON

The difference with protesting the war in Iraq - and indeed with protesting against any large religion you can name - is that a protest against Scientology can actually make a difference. They have not yet made a strong enough impression on the public consciousness that negative publicity won't do them harm. In contrast, everyone made their minds up about the Iraq war a long time ago, for better or worse.

I was in the UK when we, as a country, still hadn't completely committed to military action. The decision to take military action was still scheduled to be voted on in the House of Commons, as I remember. At that time something like 2 million people turned out in the streets of London to protest, making it the 'UK's biggest ever demonstration'. What difference did it make? Answer: not a blind bit. Commons still voted in favour of military strikes, prompting the resignation of Robin Cook (rip) among others. So as far as I'm concerned, if the largest protest EVER could make no difference back when a difference could still have been made over Iraq, then it is no use me protesting with a few dozen other people nowadays. Noble and justified, maybe, but useless.

The evil that Scientology does is inarguable. What kind of mentality is 'you can't protest against anything else until you protest the biggest issues around - it makes you superficial...!'? I'd say it means people are, perhaps depressingly, pragmatic. Even in this thread there's been one or two voices wondering 'Well what harm is Scientology, anyway...?', and coming away educated. If that's the only difference these protests are making then it's still a worthy cause. What if, centuries or millenia ago, you had had the opportunity to protest against Islam or Christianity at their inception, back when they were still in their formative stages, because of the evil you feared they might create if they gained enough momentum?

Having said that, the ignorance of a lot of the giggling youth at these protests is annoying to me. I'm happy enough for a lot of excitable stupid young people to tag along 'for the lulz' if they're just making up the bodycount, but when an opportunity comes along to question a scientologist, DON'T let those ****ing blinkered /b/tards do it. I've seen about 3 amateur vids of this kind of situation now - each time the protesters latched onto BS stuff, like trying to joke about Xenu and DC8 space-planes, COMPLETELY omitting any kind of attack on the CoS' strong-arm tactics and illicit practices. As a result it gave the Scientologists, who were far better at arguing than the protesters, an open platform to appear reasonable/appeal for sympathy/whatever. I have no doubt that to someone undecided about Scientology, these clips would have actually HELPED the CoS (the vids in question included one in NYC, one in Dublin, and I forget what the other one was).

This. All of it.

so to hell whit iraq lets make fun of scientology?

*Nods in agreement*

Stern, a protest in Sydney or Brisbane is unlikely to make any difference to the war in Iraq. But a protest at scientology's doorstep - it might work.

Why specifically is Scientology so popular to ridicule, when there are literally thousands of other cults that scam people, because it scammed some famous people, and these days people are obsessed by what famous people do. In fact Scientology only became popular to ridicule after the antics of Tom Cruise.

Very well said. I do agree with you about their arguing tactics. It seems they could do much better however I think they are more going with public awareness than trying to argue against the church. Those kids wouldn't be able to do that. I believe there are videos on youtube from some guy that actually does debate the CoS and does a great job. He calls them out on lies and shows people how ridiculous the cult really is.

Why specifically is Scientology so popular to ridicule, when there are literally thousands of other cults that scam people, because it scammed some famous people, and these days people are obsessed by what famous people do. In fact Scientology only became popular to ridicule after the antics of Tom Cruise.

Because the CoS is much bigger and shadier than any other current cult that I know of. They are a real threat as they seem efficient in poisoning minds and stealing their money. It's really horrible what they do.

I thought anon claimed to be intellectuals pretending to be retards? ;)

I still don't think much will come of this. It'll raise awareness for a while then some new story will hit and people will forget it ever happened. Except Anon who'll tell tales of it for years to come while they daisy-chain.

Because the CoS is much bigger and shadier than any other current cult that I know of.

And you only heard about it due to it's famous members.

They are a real threat as they seem efficient in poisoning minds and stealing their money. It's really horrible what they do.

That's what all cults do.

And you only heard about it due to it's famous members.
What? What possibly makes you think that? How do you know I haven't known about scientology for years?

That's what all cults do.
Yeah...except scientology is at the top of the list for current cults as they are much bigger and a worldwide cult. What point are you even trying to make?

What? What possibly makes you think that? How do you know I haven't known about scientology for years?

I highly doubt that you did. Just as I doubt you know anything about any major cult that hasn't been featured in the mainstream media.

Yeah...except scientology is at the top of the list for current cults as they are much bigger and a worldwide cult. What point are you even trying to make?

The point being, that Scientology did not invent scamming, it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. People vulnerable enough to be manipulated by Scientology are vulnerable enough to be manipulated by any other cult, there is no reason to single Scientology out from the thousands of cults in existence, other than the fact it has famous members.

agreed with the caveat that the end result isnt always about simply stopping an event from happening but rather public awareness. Having a measureable outcome isnt always the justification but rather a means to an (eventual) end

Laivasse said:
What kind of mentality is 'you can't protest against anything else until you protest the biggest issues around - it makes you superficial...!'?

I never implied/said this except in this context (that you so helpfully provided):

exactomundo, that's what I meant when I said "superficial" not that the act of protesting the scientologists. I'm the first to take up pitchfork and torch against all things scientology

I highly doubt that you did. Just as I doubt you know anything about any major cult that hasn't been featured in the mainstream media.
Yeah your right. I guess you know better than me. It's not like me and my twin bro used to go on their wiki page and laugh at the crap they believed. Even still what does it matter? You sound like a high school kid saying I can't sit with the cool kids because they all listened to the popular music before I did. Grow up.

The point being, that Scientology did not invent scamming, it doesn't do anything that hasn't been done before. People vulnerable enough to be manipulated by Scientology are vulnerable enough to be manipulated by any other cult, there is no reason to single Scientology out from the thousands of cults in existence, other than the fact it has famous members.
They don't need to invent scamming to be a problem. Terrorists didn't invent killing people but they are still a problem. Scientology slowly weens people in and corrupts their minds. Scientology then strong arms any criticism against them with their lawyers and ruins lives. They also been responsible for many deaths.
http://www.whyaretheydead.net/

Scientology didn't need to invent anything to be a problem. When they kill people, harass anyone who speaks against them to the point of ruining lives then they are a real problem. When they poison the minds of their members to get more money then it's a real problem. It bothers me that a cult like this can use legal loopholes to continue their cult. I am glad someone is standing up against them and trying to bring their atrocities forth to the public.

Yeah your right. I guess you know better than me. It's not like me and my twin bro used to go on their wiki page and laugh at the crap they believed. Even still what does it matter? You sound like a high school kid saying I can't sit with the cool kids because they all listened to the popular music before I did. Grow up.

Scientology has been in the mainstream media, since before wikipedia existed. You're really missing the point here. Scientology is no different from any other cult, it just has publicity due to it's celebrity members. Scientology has gained it's notoriety through it's famous membership, that's the only difference between it and other cults.

They don't need to invent scamming to be a problem. Terrorists didn't invent killing people but they are still a problem. Scientology slowly weens people in and corrupts their minds. Scientology then strong arms any criticism against them with their lawyers and ruins lives. They also been responsible for many deaths.
http://www.whyaretheydead.net/

Scientology didn't need to invent anything to be a problem. When they kill people, harass anyone who speaks against them to the point of ruining lives then they are a real problem. When they poison the minds of their members to get more money then it's a real problem. It bothers me that a cult like this can use legal loopholes to continue their cult. I am glad someone is standing up against them and trying to bring their atrocities forth to the public.

Again you're missing the point, cults have always existed. They exist because there is a market for cults, take away the CoS, and the vulnerable cult joining people will still exist, to be scammed by one of the many other cults.
Singling out Scientology isn't solving the problem.

Again you're missing the point, cults have always existed. They exist because there is a market for cults, take away the CoS, and the vulnerable cult joining people will still exist, to be scammed by one of the many other cults.

Why do we cut our fingernails if they're just going to grow back again?

Honestly. The defence of "There are much worse cults out there" doesn't mean that there isn't any bloody point attacking the Corperation of Scientology.

What do you suggest we do to eliminate the "cult" problem, then?

Here, I'll answer it for you: nothing. It will always exist, like you said, in one form or another.

So what good is raising awareness of Scientology? Perhaps saving some people from following it, and giving them the opportunity to lead a better life?

Just cutting fingernails... there's no cure for it, but it has to be dealt with before it grows into a much bigger problem.

Honestly. The defence of "There are much worse cults out there" doesn't mean that there isn't any bloody point attacking the Corperation of Scientology.

Well you can attack it, but don't pretend attacking it will make the slightest bit of difference or deny that Scientology is a popular cult to attack due to it's celebrity connection.

What do you suggest we do to eliminate the "cult" problem, then?

The same thing we do about the drug problem.

Here, I'll answer it for you: nothing. It will always exist, like you said, in one form or another.

Exactly

So what good is raising awareness of Scientology? Perhaps saving some people from following it, and giving them the opportunity to lead a better life?

You make the assumption that people join cults spontaneously for no reason without thinking. You're neglecting that fact that people who join cults generally aren't thinking straight and may even buy in to the theological side of the cult, in which case reason goes out the window, and they'll fanatically defend the cults right to exploit them.

Just cutting fingernails... there's no cure for it, but it has to be dealt with before it grows into a much bigger problem.
If your fingernails grew at an extremely fast rate, then maybe this would somehow be relevant, but they don't fingernails are irrelevant as they can be easily managed.

Scientology has been in the mainstream media, since before wikipedia existed. You're really missing the point here. Scientology is no different from any other cult, it just has publicity due to it's celebrity members. Scientology has gained it's notoriety through it's famous membership, that's the only difference between it and other cults.
OK then, please list another worldwide cult that has killed many people and harasses people who speak against it to the point of ruining their lives and possibly committing suicide.

That's the worst argument ever. Your saying that there is no point in doing this because the problem will be back some day. Then why do we bother trying to stop people from killing? People are always killing people so I guess we are wasting our time. Just because you don't seem to care doesn't mean everyone else shouldn't care that people are suffering and being taken advantage of or outright killed. Besides, you have no information to support your claim that stupid people will always find ways for a cult to take advantage of them and kill them. Even if we go after cults and end them somehow these people will still be taken advantage of. Its a ridiculous claim. If you remove the cult, then there is no cult to join. Your assuming that theres thousands of worldwide cults killing people when in reality I don't think there is anything else like scientology. However, you seem sure theres cults bigger and worse than scientology, so mind educating us?

Well you can attack it, but don't pretend attacking it will make the slightest bit of difference or deny that Scientology is a popular cult to attack due to it's celebrity connection.
Scientology has been around for a long time and has always had celebrity connections. It isn't until they brought their censorship to the internet that anon got angry. It was always a worthy cause, it just didn't have a fire to carry the torch until scientology lit that fire for anon.

So now your saying that the government should create a task force designed to end cults? Even the ones that aren't breaking laws? That sounds as bad as Bush's wire tapping. Also...I thought you said that going after and ending cults wouldn't fix the problem. Which is it?

You make the assumption that people join cults spontaneously for no reason without thinking. You're neglecting that fact that people who join cults generally aren't thinking straight and may even buy in to the theological side of the cult, in which case reason goes out the window, and they'll fanatically defend the cults right to exploit them.
Isn't that the same thing?

If your fingernails grew at an extremely fast rate, then maybe this would somehow be relevant, but they don't fingernails are irrelevant as they can be easily managed.
So can cults. I don't see a plethora of cults ready to sweep up the idiots that are mere sheep waiting to be taken advantage of. Your making the assumption that there are people who will simply believe everything they are told and will gladly give their money away. There may be some people like this but a majority of people who are suckered into cults are smart people and were weened into believing their doctrine.

It's called a metaphorical analogy to compare two different ideas to each other. You spend way too much time learning how to shut someone's argument down by memorizing logical fallacies, but you don't even have a real strong argument of your own.

"NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, **** IT."

Spend ghastly amounts of money, stretch personnel resources, and make it a bigger problem that it would be without interference?

Oh, ok.

Excuse me, what? Who's making assumptions here? Did I give one single reason why a person might join a cult?

the theological side of the cult

Yup, raising awareness about how stupid the Cult of Scientology is won't do anything to change people's minds about joining it.

lul, your arguments suck like vacuums; did you get them from Hitler or something? Incoming logical fallacies and Godwin's Law.

Neat. I'm glad they're finally doing something for society.

another thing whit scientology is that is so ridiculous that you just want to crush theyr skulls

another thing whit scientology is that is so ridiculous that you just want to crush theyr skulls

I have no idea what you just said, but seeing as it was something negative about scientlogy, I agree.

Back