Anon Protests Worldwide

You do know what Scientology is, don't you? www.xenu.net

It's not a religion. It's not even one of those crazy cults - it's a corporation that bleeds it's members dry while pretending to be a religion/cult. There have been quite a few deaths connected to Scientology.

And on top of that they ask for tax breaks. :rolleyes:

Dude, that's a religion.

These protests will cause increased awareness & help to encourage some of those who've been hurt to speak out. Steps in the right direction.

This is actually a pretty big thing they got going. You can read more at: http://www.partyvan.info/index.php/Project_Chanology

Another site with good info is: http://forums.enturbulation.org/

Former scientologists are setting up now to talk about their experiences thanks to the demonstrations which is fantastic to see. This is more than just a bunch of chans doing their thing.

Edit: This might be of interest to: http://www.agoravox.com/article.php3?id_article=7675 This article just came online.

This is actually a pretty big thing they got going. You can read more at: http://www.partyvan.info/index.php/Project_Chanology

Another site with good info is: http://forums.enturbulation.org/

Former scientologists are setting up now to talk about their experiences thanks to the demonstrations which is fantastic to see. This is more than just a bunch of chans doing their thing.

Edit: This might be of interest to: http://www.agoravox.com/article.php3?id_article=7675 This article just came online.

Wow, that article is just amazing. It just sparks even more hate for that cult. Just pisses me off how they do their best to ruin anybody with a negative comment towards them.

More power to anon.

Suffer not the furry to live, for he is an abomination.

That should be the next target the internet collaborates on. I bet you'll get more turnouts than scientology.

I don't believe anon is trying to bring the church down. I think their immediate goal is to make public all of the horrible things the church is doing. Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult. Anon is doing a great job with making all of this public. They have even got media attention. I am glad the chans are banding together for a noble cause that is morally right. People need to be made aware how horrible the CoS really is, and massive amount of people and protests getting coverage is a great way to do that. Hopefully this will be the start of a snowball effect that cripples Scientology.

i think those internet guys care too much...

not my problem if somebody likes scientology, i don't.

It seems like you don't know how cults like this recruits people...

Ignorance is bliss?

It's just never your problem is it, Seppo? Not with scientology, not with anything. It's NEVER your problem.

You just don't care any more. :(

There's something eerie about seeing a bunch of /b/tards congregating and wearing V masks. Something... unsettling.

I guess you don't get it. Scientology censors people. They take videos off of youtube and anywhere else that will put them in negative light. This is horrible, it's pretty much restricting our freedom of speech with their gang of lawyer. I think it's horrible they are doing those things and getting away with it.

I was about to go to the one in Orlando, but then I was like "Wait what? I'll be hanging around with Anon? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT!"

So I didnt go, and instead, I slept.

I was about to go to the one in Orlando, but then I was like "Wait what? I'll be hanging around with Anon? FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THAT!"

So I didnt go, and instead, I slept.

We ought to party sometime, though.

Im leaving in like 2 months :( I graduate, and then almost immediately afterwards my lease runs out.

This is actually pretty cool and hopefully I shall be attending the next one.

I've just got a hard-on for protests, haven't I?

Seriously though, all you people who are like "Why bother?" and "Who cares?" and "Don't Anon have anything better to do" - did you read up on what Scientology is? Anon isn't protesting their stupid beliefs. Anon is protesting Scientology's barring of freedom of speech, their repeated persecution of critics, the fact that the CoS is basically a cult with tax breaks that ties up opponents in endless amounts of paperwork.

Whether /b/ is the cesspit of the internet is irrelevant. The CoS is the cesspit of the real world and deserves to be systematically dismantled.

It is because /b/ isn't that much better than Scientologists.

But I do agree with systematical 'dismantling' of scientology. ;)

You're silly.

Here's the deal: these protests aren't /b/. /b/ isn't these protests. And /b/ doesn't exist.

What you have here is an interesting juxtaposition between two entirely different systems. Scientology is aggressively heriarchical and regimented. Its creed, at the base level, is to present systematised methodologies for positive change, specific and defined operating frameworks for dealing with human problems. For each situation there is a 'tech': an applied mechanism.

Indeed, if one looks up any specific Scientologist doctrine on wikipedia, one is at every juncture forced to define the parts of the definition itself: each description is composed of various strange terms which one must then look up, and then look up further to understand them, and so on. Dianetics, techs, engrams, thetans: the Scientology System manifests in a vast complex of special terminology which serves to regiment, indeed to control, scientologist discourse (a discourse, noun, being a framework of discussion).

This control is finally evident in the organisation of the Church itself: highly centralised, rigidly organised, controlled from above and comprising of various special, almost militaristic groups (such as the Sea Org and the OSA). The Church is characterised by structure and control, from the 'handlers' who attempt to smoke out protesters to the careful marshalling of legal and PR assets.

Anonymous is the opposite. There is no central command, no guiding intelligence, no God from on high - only the organic movement of inspired people. There is no organisation, no label, no identity, no formal structure - only the amorphus, anonymous and infinitely re-writeable expression of ideas and words which stand by themselves and for themselves. This is not to say there is no structure at all, or no system, but it is not a maintained or imposed structure. There's nobody at the top, no "group of cyberterrorists" or hacker cabal. The protest trascends /b/ because anyone can be Anonymous, just like /b/ transcends itself for the same reason.

In essence there is no /b/, not like there's an Amnesty International, a Somethingawful or even a Halflife2.net. It is itself a meme, a discourse.

I don't mean to romanticise this more than necessary and I don't propose to cast the conflict in a simplistic moral dimension; I'm intensely interested by Scientology's ideas. But it is obvious enough that in their methods and their intentions they are gravely unjust.

Yet how can you say the people organising the protest are "just as bad"? Ultimately, there is nobody organising the protest, and no people you can judge to be "bad". Everybody is nobody and the only thing you can possibly judge is their actions, their words, and their ideas, standing by themselves, divorced from identity.

You should do more than just listen to what the Voice is saying.
Speak.

Anonymous is the opposite. There is no central command, no guiding intelligence, no God from on high - only the organic movement of inspired people. There is no organisation, no label, no identity, no formal structure - only the amorphus, anonymous and infinitely re-writeable expression of ideas and words which stand by themselves and for themselves. This is not to say there is no structure at all, or no system, but it is not a maintained or imposed structure. There's nobody at the top, no "group of cyberterrorists" or hacker cabal. The protest trascends /b/ because anyone can be Anonymous, just like /b/ transcends itself for the same reason.

In essence there is no /b/. It is itself a meme, a discourse.
...you are the Legionnaire. I know it. I will follow you until death.

Do look up the Project Chanology wiki before you go, the codes of conduct and the dress code are probably going to be vital.

You're silly.

Here's the deal: these protests aren't /b/. /b/ isn't these protests. And /b/ doesn't exist.

What you have here is an interesting juxtaposition between two entirely different systems. Scientology is aggressively heriarchical and regimented. Its creed, at the base level, is to present systematised methodologies for positive change, specific and defined operating frameworks for dealing with human problems. For each situation there is a 'tech': an applied mechanism.

Indeed, if one looks up any specific Scientologist doctrine on wikipedia, one is at every juncture forced to define the parts of the definition itself: each description is composed of various strange terms which one must then look up, and then look up further to understand them, and so on. Dianetics, techs, engrams, thetans: the Scientology System manifests in a vast complex of special terminology which serves to regiment, indeed to control, scientologist discourse (a discourse, noun, being a framework of discussion).

This control is finally evident in the organisation of the Church itself: highly centralised, rigidly organised, controlled from above and comprising of various special, almost militaristic groups (such as the Sea Org and the OSA). The Church is characterised by structure and control, from the 'handlers' who attempt to smoke out protesters to the careful marshalling of legal and PR assets.

In essence there is no /b/, not like there's an Amnesty International, a Somethingawful or even a Halflife2.net. It is itself a meme, a discourse.

I don't mean to romanticise this more than necessary and I don't propose to cast the conflict in a simplistic moral dimension; I'm intensely interested by Scientology's ideas. But it is obvious enough that in their methods and their intentions they are gravely unjust.

Yet how can you say the people organising the protest are "just as bad"? Ultimately, there is nobody organising the protest, and no people you can judge to be "bad". Everybody is nobody and the only thing you can possibly judge is their actions, their words, and their ideas, standing by themselves, divorced from identity.

Speak.

Well, I suppose you're right, as usual. :p

But I just can't grasp the notion of those unorganized people self-organized by a non-existant /b/ that is actually doing good.

You should know about it: someone called it something familiar earlier in the thread.

It's called the Stand Alone Complex.

Ben McIllwain said:
We are thus dealing with a true Stand Alone Complex, probably the first substantive one the net has ever seen. There was no original person who launched and organized this battle, but at the same time, it’s not accurate to call everyone who is participating in it mere copycats, because they are the entirety of it. This battle will continue raging for some time, and it’s about damn time. Scientology is truly dangerous like many other cults and religions, yet their litigious nature has effectively hamstringed the news media from covering these issues (except in Germany). So it makes sense that a fluid, faceless group should take root on the Internet to oppose them. After all, the threats of lawsuits only make sense if they can actually find you to sue you. Now you understand the meaning of “Anonymous”.

http://www.cydeweys.com/blog/2008/01/28/scientology-sac/

...... Ghost In The Shell.... ahem. :p

Anyway, that's actually interesting. I'm gonna read upon this.

All religions are inherently scams. Scientology is only famous because it has Tom Cruise as a spokesman, there are hundreds of Christian sects and eastern spiritual cults, that are just as bad and many are worse than Scientology. Attacking Scientology is a popular fad.

I really can't see how these protest will have any impact on Scientology at all. The vast majority of people will never even consider joining Scientology, and people that do joins cults will be so brainwashed or vulnerable, that a protest will have no affect on them, and for every cult you get rid of, there are a thousand others.

All that needs to be done for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

You're silly.

Speak.
I'm proud of you, legionnaire!

All that needs to be done for evil to prevail is that good men do nothing.

That's an extreme overstatement. Scientology is a very small insignificant part of evil, and those protest are about as productive as doing nothing.

Scientology isn't the problem, it's vulnerable naive ignorant people who are the problem. Cults that exploit it's members will always exist. No one would care about Scientology if it hadn't recruited some famous people.

sad this gets more attention than say demonstrations against the war in iraq ..but hey the issues may be too complicated for internet communities. Some of those in attendance (a few dozen in each city judging from most reports) loook like they'd use any excuse to wear V for vendetta mask (I am embarressed for them ..at least wearing a gasmask was upholding the spirit of protest in general... even though the point of the gasmask is completely lost to them

sad this gets more attention than say demonstrations against the war in iraq ..but hey the issues may be too complicated for internet communities.
Scientology is an international institution. The war on Iraq is an issue between the US (and friends) and Iraq. But don't let that get in the way of your righteous indignation, wise old one.

scientology hardly costs the lives of tens of thousands of people every year ..and it's not just an issue confined to the US and friends it affects us all either directly or indirectly. and I'm not indignant ..it just confirms what i already know; superficiality wins every time

Back