Another Linux thread.

Higlac

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Since I didn't feel like bumping an old thread, here goes.

I've been running Ubuntu on my netbook for a couple of years now, but 11.10 has pissed me off beyond belief. It removed the classic Ubuntu desktop layout, it won't remember that I like my sound muted (It goes MAXIMUM VOLUME on every boot up), and worst of all, it has stability issues with my netbook.

I'm looking to find another Linux distro, but I'm not sure what versions there are or what would interest me. I'd prefer something crisp, fast, and functional. If I can't find a new distro that I like, I'm just going to install 10.04 LTS.

tl;dr Ubuntu 11.10 sucks and I want new Linux.

Isn't the point of Linux that you can modify it to your liking?

Except for the stability issues.

Isn't the point of Linux that you can modify it to your liking?

Except for the stability issues.

I would if I had the know-how, but I don't think that a GUI change would help my stability issues.

I see your edit.

Depends what is destabilizing it. You could try gnome-shell (and accept the new UIs) or switch to KDE, XFCE, or LXDE.

As far as getting away from Ubuntu completely, Debian is always a good option if you don't mind stable (outdated) software. Debian Testing is probably the best balance of stability and the latest software. I was sticking with Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and waiting until April of next year to make a decision, but I trashed my install (never manage paritions with Windows when you're dual-booting) and figured I would see if I can get used to the new UIs.

I, of course, rarely use Linux these days. I'm done with school and I don't need my laptop for work. My desktop runs Windows 7. Games, etc. I would use Linux for development work, but I can't be assed to get Oracle Java installed on Ubuntu 11.10.

I have no idea what's destabilizing it, other than it crashes to text every once in a while. Also I tried the gnome-shell and found it visually disturbing, and limiting of my preferences (or I just don't know how to do things). I've downloaded an 11.04 .iso to sit on until I find something better.

I've never used/heard of KDE, XFCE or LXDE before. Care to help me out here? Googling until I check the thread later though.

Basically try Kbuntu, Xbuntu, Lbuntu. They're all community derivatives of Ubuntu. KDE is based on the Qt framework which you find everywhere (even on Windows). It's more... Windows like in its appearance. Xbuntu is a "lightweight" clone of Gnome 2, however, Xbuntu added features/bloat on top of XFCE which made choosing it for its lightweight-ness pointless. Lbuntu is the lightest and I don't remember what it looks like by default. I know a lot of users usually heavily customize it.

Beyond those three DEs, you'll probably get overwhelmed. There are many window, compositing, and file managers out there. Even with my knowledge of Linux, I can't be assed to try all the combinations. I want a complete desktop environment that works well together out of the box.

As far as gnome-shell, I'm slowly getting used to it. If you were like me and used your mouse to switch windows, it's a bit of a pain to learn to use alt-tab more often (due to lack of taskbar). Also keep in mind that you can open software quickly by hitting the Windows key, type the first few letters of the software name, and then press enter. If you decide to try gnome-shell, you should read the following:

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet

... if you really need a dock, install docky. I probably will end up doing that. Will have to see how compatible it is with gnome-shell and its separate workspaces.

Ah, Unity strikes again. Horribly bloated piece of shit. I've never understood the appeal. I'm fine with LTS, I don't see the need for another update.

One of the computers I use at work runs Fedora, and its pretty awesome.

I'd probably use Linux if I could have my Steam games...

After doing some reading, Linux Mint looks pretty neat, I think I'll give that a try and see how it goes.

Back