Another question about GFX Cards

Reaction score
Right now I have a GeForce4 Ti4200 64mb 8x AGP

My motherboard can only handle cards up to 4x, so that's what my card is running at right now. I'm just wondering how much of a difference that makes. I'm wondering if I should get a new motherboard or not...

There are virtually no gains from going between 8x and 4x in todays games. We have yet to see if this helps in HL2 or other upcoming games.

There is like 1-2% difference... Things is, we are at to low resolution, to little textures, and just to little load to be simple.

If you play a game with 800,000 polygons on screen, 10k*10k textures at a resolution of 3000*2000, then you would gain by having higher bandwidth and transferring data faster. Now we just dont need it :)

Actually, there is no noticable difference between 4x and 8x AGP, it's actually more of a commercial thing. You don't really need a new graphics card unless you're sitting on less than ~1,5GHZ (If you don't want to turn the effects up). If you want to get one of the newest, high-end cards, see to that you have atleast a 300W power supply. The recommended is 350W, but 300W should be just fine.

Back