Any chances of playing Portal in Gmod?

Dinnesch

Space Core
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a really crappy laptop, with 16MB integrated graphics, no shader model support.

Half-life 2 and Garry's mod run reasonably well on it(though most people will consider it unplayable/slideshow).
But whenever I try to launch portal, it crashes while loading(no clear error messages).
I think that's because it has no shader support, or probably another lack of the graphics card.

I've tried loading the Portal maps in Garry's mod 10, and they worked. But there is no decent Portal gun in Gmod. I've spent ~1 hour finding the best Portal gun for Gmod, and the best I found was this one.
But it doesn't work nearly as good as the original Portal gun, and practically renders Portal unplayable.

And another problem, the shaders still were broken. It looks horrible(screens in attachments)
Is there any way to disable the shaders? or just turn off the non-supported lighting? I KNOW this will really reduce the image quality, but I just wanna play portal, no matter how it looks.

Please don't post comments recommending me to buy new hardware, but posts on how to fix it. ;) I know capable hardware is very cheap right now but I just need to play Portal on this laptop.

Attachments

• portal1.JPG
    portal1.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 801
No, what your going to do is buy Portal, and buy a better computer you cheap ****.

No, what your going to do is buy Portal, and buy a better computer you cheap ****.

I own the game... in form of the Orange box. Why do you presume I pirated the game? Do you need any proof that I bought the game?

And please stop 'helping' me by telling me to buy a new PC. I would if I was able to, not everyone is sitting on a huge pile of money.

Unfortunately nurizeko is sitting on his own head.

Goddamn, can you guys maybe try to HELP me getting it to work instead of flaming?

Try verifying the cache on steam, just go into steam, right click portal, and click verify cache, or something like that. if that doesnt work, your only option is upgrade your computer's graphics card. If that dont work, you could try turning down your graphics settings.

Check steam support, and possibly the http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page Either of these may help, but i dont know.

Hope This Helps :)

Portal runs on Source 2007. It's way better than gmod and hl2, so i guess you are screwed.

Okay my bad, my brain musta spasmed out over the bit where you say you have Portal.

Still, there's a reason your computer isn't running it, its telling you it doesn't meet the hardware and software requirements.

You don't need to spend a shed load of money to upgrade, you just need to know where to look.

If you can afford to buy computer games you can save up some for an upgrade every now and then.

If you don't want to hear advice about upgrading, then don't ask for tech advice. ;)

Hi there, have you tried running Portal in Direct X 8 mode?
1. Open Steam
2. Go to the My Games tab
3. Right-click Portal and select Properties
4. Click the Set launch options... button
5. Type -dxlevel 81

Also what version of Gmod to you have? If you don't have Gmod 10 (the pay version) then you won't be able to see the Portal assets as the free version of Gmod is on the old version of Source.

Try verifying the cache on steam, just go into steam, right click portal, and click verify cache, or something like that. if that doesnt work, your only option is upgrade your computer's graphics card. If that dont work, you could try turning down your graphics settings.

Check steam support, and possibly the http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page Either of these may help, but i dont know.

Hope This Helps :)

Nope, it doesn't work. I've already tried tuning down the settings using Source Sauce(A tool which allows you to set your Source games without the need to reach the menu) but it didn't change it.

Okay my bad, my brain musta spasmed out over the bit where you say you have Portal.

Still, there's a reason your computer isn't running it, its telling you it doesn't meet the hardware and software requirements.

You don't need to spend a shed load of money to upgrade, you just need to know where to look.

If you can afford to buy computer games you can save up some for an upgrade every now and then.

If you don't want to hear advice about upgrading, then don't ask for tech advice. ;)

I bought this laptop 1 year ago as a temporary solution, for E90,00. My next purchase won't be another piece of outdated hardware, I keep collecting money so I can afford some of the newest hardware instead of old stuff. But it will take a few years until then.

Hi there, have you tried running Portal in Direct X 8 mode?
1. Open Steam
2. Go to the My Games tab
3. Right-click Portal and select Properties
4. Click the Set launch options... button
5. Type -dxlevel 81

Also what version of Gmod to you have? If you don't have Gmod 10 (the pay version) then you won't be able to see the Portal assets as the free version of Gmod is on the old version of Source.

I have tried running it in both DX7 and DX8 mode. This gave me the following error:
"Your graphics hardware must support at least Pixel Shader version 1.1 to run the game!

I know a nifty tool which allows you to 'emulate' pixel shader(they claim, I think it's more like faking the hardware check which games do) called 3Danalyze. It already allowed me to run some pixel shader games(F.E.A.R, Crysis etc).

But this program needs you to give a games' .exe or .bat file which it will run in 'tweaked' mode.
Unfortunately Portal(and other Source games) doesn't have a normal .exe which you just click to launch the game. It needs Steam to launch hl2.exe with a parameter of which game it has to run.
Does anyone know a legal way to make Portal run in just 1 clickable executable?

Thanks for all the help, and sorry for my english.

Back