Portal 2 as an alternate Reality?

Reaction score
When do the events of Portal 2 take place within the current Half-life story arc? it's assumed and was supposedly confirmed that it takes place centuries after the Half-life 2 episodes, some think it takes place around EP2, but since it's a very popular belief that Portal took place during the Combine Invasion, it's very likely that Portal 2 takes place at least after the events of Half-life 3, if that's the case then what happens in Half-life 3 will set up the events for Portal 2, how this happens is unknown, but judging by the nature invading the ruins of the Enrichment Center and the birds that have nested inside the facility and the strangely empty wheat field with no sign of Humans, either the Combine successfully retrieve the Borealis and have used it to take everything they can from Earth and have retreated back to their home world to continue their Universal Conquest, or perhaps the plan to retrieve the Borealis had soured and resulted in Humanity's and the Combine's annihilation? and didn't it seem a bit suspicious how Earth looked completely fine, considering the Combine's goals to drain the oceans and harvest every material they could, leaving it a lifeless rock. So perhaps it's within the realm of possibility that the Earth we are located on in Portal 2 isn't the same Earth in Half-life? remember the perpetual testing initiative that was apparently the key to finding parallel Universes and dimensions? what if the world of Portal 2 is an alternate Reality? Food for thought. ;)

I actually asked Marc Laidlaw about this I got a non-answer. I don't have the email anymore sorry it was when PETI first came out.

Basically he said that in some universes the events of HL and Portal take place in the same universe in some they don't.

In all probability, Portal was only tied-in to explain where the Borealis came from. I like that though. It takes guts to connect two games with radically different tones and gameplay.

In all probability, Portal was only tied-in to explain where the Borealis came from. I like that though. It takes guts to connect two games with radically different tones and gameplay.
Portal didn't really mention the Borealis though? Portal2 only had the tiny easter egg regarding the Borealis. I'd love to see a closer tie in.

Portal didn't really mention the Borealis though? Portal2 only had the tiny easter egg regarding the Borealis. I'd love to see a closer tie in.
That's kinda what I was referring to. The whole thing feels like someone at Valve pointed out that you can't have everything and its mum originate from Black Mesa, so they reached for the nearest IP on hand.

Perhaps. But the relationship between BM and AS has a very big connection, i bet the Gravity Gun was made by BM using AS technology, hence the similar design aspects.

Maybe we'll see Old Aperture tech on the Borealis in Half-life 3?

Perhaps. But the relationship between BM and AS has a very big connection, i bet the Gravity Gun was made by BM using AS technology, hence the similar design aspects.

Maybe we'll see Old Aperture tech on the Borealis in Half-life 3?
I honestly don't see the connection between the Grabbity gun and the Portal gun. They appear to use completely different technology and while the device is a similar shape the styles are completely different.

The Ratman comics showed the Gravity gun in Aperture pre-Glados. They also so a HEV charger which I doubt is Aperture tech. I think it is more likely a few Easter eggs thrown into the art.

I'd love to see some Aperture tech on the Borealis. Maybe the use of a stationary prototype portal gun. I hope Glados makes an appearance. Just as a disembodied voice that you unwittingly help.

Or maybe they will tie in a reason the Combine Overwatch has the same voice actor as Glados.

I'd still love to see the Combine be after Glados or AI tech rather than some Portal tech.

I honestly don't see the connection between the Grabbity gun and the Portal gun. They appear to use completely different technology and while the device is a similar shape the styles are completely different.
Actually, different uses aside, they use the exact same design, same handles around the end of the device, similar tube that extends from base of the gun to the end, they may operate in different ways but they use the same technology.

latest

latest

The Ratman comics showed the Gravity gun in Aperture pre-Glados. They also so a HEV charger which I doubt is Aperture tech. I think it is more likely a few Easter eggs thrown into the art.
Aperture and Black Mesa were rivals, and CJ mentioned how BM managed to steal from Aperture, or perhaps they were once on friendly terms and simply shared their tech, Wallace Breen was a bit of a snake and could of easily 'stabbed' Cave in the back - trying to get funding while also causing an Alien Invasion, and GLaDOS kills everyone in the building. It's almost ironic how BM was essentially the 'better' company but it ends up as nothing but a radioactive pit in New Mexico, and Aperture is 'Still Alive'.

I'd love to see some Aperture tech on the Borealis. Maybe the use of a stationary prototype portal gun. I hope Glados makes an appearance. Just as a disembodied voice that you unwittingly help.
I doubt GLaDOS will make an appearance in the Borealis, i once thought it could be possible before Portal 2 but there's just no way for her to show up in the ship when she's in Upper Michigan Peninsula... unless, she does in fact have a backup copy inside the Borealis that was activated during her destruction at the end of PORTAL and will be used by the Combine to operate the Portal Technology on the ship? Hmm...

Or maybe they will tie in a reason the Combine Overwatch has the same voice actor as Glados.
A voice actor can voice more than one character, Overwatch has a more monotone and automatic voice while GLaDOS sounds sultry and human-like, even as a Computer.

I'd still love to see the Combine be after Glados or AI tech rather than some Portal tech.
Well, intra-dimensional Portal Technology is something the Combine desperately need, if the Resistance gets hold of it, we could effectively turn the tables and use it against the Combine, but if the Combine gets hold of it, there will be Unforeseen Consequences...

Actually, different uses aside, they use the exact same design, same handles around the end of the device, similar tube that extends from base of the gun to the end, they may operate in different ways but they use the same technology.
The Gravity gun is held by two handles. it appears to be quite heavy based on its design using an extra handle for leverage.

The portal gun slips over one hand. The second hand does not have a grip handle and instead you use your second hand to stabilize the device. This implies it is very light weight. It is very easy to carry and not cumbersome.

This to me implies completely different technologies.

Eli was to explain to Gordon at Black Mesa East that the Gravity Gun's "grand daddy" was used to manipulate hazardous materials in the Combine's portal reactors, suggesting the Gravity Gun uses Combine technology.[1]

Exactly how the Gravity Gun works is unknown, but some conclusions can be made. It is possible it uses a Xen crystal, as the emitter is almost identical to a sample being studied in Eli's lab in Black Mesa East. When the gun is supercharged by a Confiscation Field, Overwatch describes it as a "counter-resonant singularity device". Because of this, it probably contains negative mass, or exotic mass. Negative mass is believed, by scientists, to have inverted gravity and repel normal mass instead of attracting it. The gravity gun may possibly control the gravity attribute of the crystal, making it able of both attracting and repelling objects. How the weapon should be able to concentrate the gravitational force at a single object is, however, unknown.

The core of the Gravity gun appearing to be a Xen crystal.

According to Cave Johnson
The Portal gun tech it uses Quantum Tunneling technology. It is powered by a miniature black hole.

The technologies don't appear to be remotely similar. The function being completely different, the weight completely different, and the materials used completely different.

The Half Life 2 beta files are not cannon but according to it the Gravity gun uses Combine tech.

Saying they are are the same technology because they are held in similar ways is like saying a blow dryer uses the same technology as a gun because you hold them both by the handle.

The Gravity gun is held by two handles. it appears to be quite heavy based on its design using an extra handle for leverage.

The portal gun slips over one hand. The second hand does not have a grip handle and instead you use your second hand to stabilize the device. This implies it is very light weight. It is very easy to carry and not cumbersome.

This to me implies completely different technologies.

The core of the Gravity gun appearing to be a Xen crystal.

According to Cave Johnson
The Portal gun tech it uses Quantum Tunneling technology. It is powered by a miniature black hole.

The technologies don't appear to be remotely similar. The function being completely different, the weight completely different, and the materials used completely different.

The Half Life 2 beta files are not cannon but according to it the Gravity gun uses Combine tech.

Saying they are are the same technology because they are held in similar ways is like saying a blow dryer uses the same technology as a gun because you hold them both by the handle.

I meant the 'thingies' that move when you look at an object, same thing happens in Portal.
And just because the ASHPD and ZPEFM function different, doesn't mean that the same design wasn't used.

Since the Aperture Science company was mentioned in the Episode Two storyline, the whole Half-Life Universe was expanded and as a result disintegrated. It is very important not to mess up with the main Half-Life storyline and the whole Half-Life universe with new titles/storylines, in this case from now on the Half-Life Universe is the Core Universe and all others storylines can be set in an infinite numbers of a Parallel Universes, not affecting the Core Universe anyhow. Any kind of stories can be tied with the Half-Life Universe by tiny things from the storyline, in an infinite parallel universes anything is possible, the Animal King turret, stealing blueprints from other Aperture companies, octopuses rule the Earth (The Parallel Universe number 5912228342).

Last edited:
Since the Aperture Science company was mentioned in the Episode Two storyline, the whole Half-Life Universe was expanded and as a result disintegrated. It is very important not to mess up with the main Half-Life storyline and the whole Half-Life universe with new titles/storylines, in this case from now on the Half-Life Universe is the Core Universe and all others storylines can be set in an infinite numbers of a Parallel Universes, not affecting the Core Universe anyhow. Any kind of stories can be tied with the Half-Life Universe by tiny things from the storyline, in an infinite parallel universes anything is possible, the Animal King turret, stealing blueprints from other Aperture companies, octopuses rule the Earth (The Parallel Universe number 5912228342).
I agree. The Universe of Portal 2 is WAY more crazier and chaotic than Portal, i always had this 'idea' that Gordon and Alyx seal 'Chell' away from the (CORE) Universe and place her in the 'Portal 2 verse' where she's safe.

Back