Any other .netters playing League of Legends?

Rico

Tank
Reaction score
So, since the SC2 beta has taken a break, my spare time is being sucked away by League of Legends.

For those unfamiliar with LoL, it's a DOTA type game where teams of 3 or 5 unique hero characters fight it out from their bases in order to take out the oppossing team's buildings. It's a lot easier to just try it than to explain everything. It's fun and addicting as all hell, as I'm sure a lot of people can attest to.

Oh and did I mention it's free?

Check it out, linkie

Just looking for other guys from helpfile2.net who want to form a group and play together every once in a while. May be a nice little game to play while we wait for SC2 to come back again.

My ingame alias: Rico The Mad

Add me!

edit: Fail, the image doesn't work. Oh well, just click the link and check it out.

Soo boring.

Can't imagine why people would take a game and remake it with diffe- OH WAIT.

ME.

Only game I play these days, everyone should give it a try.

HoN hater?

Yeah, it's dota for casuals. But it's fun to pubstomp.

Alias is voiper.

I dislike both HoN and LoL, after trying them.

I've played DoTA and it's only fun with friends. Outside of that it's just elitist garbage, especially in bnet.

Not to mention both HoN AND LoL have pay options.

Uh, LoL can be played with full characters and options for free.

It just takes time.

HoN is dota 2.0 for lots of cash.

Yup, the only thing that you *must* pay for in LoL are character skins. Meaning champions, runes, and everything else is free, or can be earned through IP, which is like virtual cash that you can use to buy things at the store, and is earned by playing the game.

TBH I don't see myself paying for anything in LoL right now, since if you do decide to pay for something, the prices are pretty outrageous. Good thing I don't really care about character skins that much :-P

Played LoL for a while with some friends, but it gets too frustrating after a while. I dislike games where you have to read pages of strategies just to stay effective instead of figuring it out on your own. I was always getting killed in a few shots by someone playing Teemu or that frost archer bitch just because they got lucky early game and knew exactly which items to stack. So much for intuitiveness.

That's not even going into how utterly maddening it is to have an afker or two on your team, or just a bad team in general. It wouldn't be so bad if some matches didn't last for a ****ing hour.

Played LoL for a while with some friends, but it gets too frustrating after a while. I dislike games where you have to read pages of strategies just to stay effective instead of figuring it out on your own. I was always getting killed in a few shots by someone playing Teemu or that frost archer bitch just because they got lucky early game and knew exactly which items to stack. So much for intuitiveness.
Hahahahahah. Aww man. You'd love dota.

But really, the learning curve isn't really that steep. There are certain basics that all MOBAs have, and once you've got that, you're good. And trust me, nothing in LoL takes pages of strategy.

I played a few games with a friend of mine not long ago... didn't care for it. Only having 4 (?) skills to worry about is way too easy so it gets boring really fast. Health and mana pools also seemed frightening low... so much so that it really took away any tactical aspect the game could have.

That battles are too short so you don't get to stare at the pretty colours?!?!?!

It means you hardly even get to use the stuff they DO give you. GOD GUYS.

Hahahahahah. Aww man. You'd love dota.

But really, the learning curve isn't really that steep. There are certain basics that all MOBAs have, and once you've got that, you're good. And trust me, nothing in LoL takes pages of strategy.
I played DotA a bit back when and couldn't really get into it either, but that was at the point where people had taken it to a fanatical level so it was hard to enjoy.

Anyway, I wasn't really talking about the learning curve so much as the balance problems and (I hesitate to call them this) "exploits" people use. I played up until about level 15 and got pretty good with a few characters (I played a pretty lethal Morgana on support), but there were always players who'd use certain characters you just couldn't win against, no matter how much strategy you employed. At a certain point the game became less about using your character skillfully or picking items based on your current needs, as about knowing your character's "perfect build" and just exploiting it to win. Add onto that the way players would use certain abilities - like charging up an ultimate and then flashing into you so that you couldn't escape it - and it was just a bit too much bullshit for me to handle.

Also, the pages of strategy I was referring to were mostly skill/item builds. Like I said, so much for intuitiveness.

It means you hardly even get to use the stuff they DO give you. GOD GUYS.
This still makes no sense. That's like saying 'gee why don't they give you level 3 sentry right away so I can use it right away because I want pew pew power' or 'why doesn't bc come with yamato built in with full mana so I can use it RIGHT AWAY.' There's a level system. There's an item system. You have to learn how to manage a mana pool. If you're really into spamming abilities when they're not needed, start with a mana crystal.

Someone's sore from getting pubstomped.

I not trying to be mean, but honest. You're level 15, which just simply means you haven't played the game enough to have a sense of what works in a team comp, or really how to fight.

I could just quote your middle paragraph and say 'yup, that's exactly why people hate dota' but ironically you're referring to LoL, which is supposed to correct all those mistakes. Dota is alllll about exploiting the Wc3 engine. Orb walking. Animation cancelling. ****ing around with creep aggro. ****ing around with blink dagger. I'm not saying it's inherently bad, it's just many people found it frustratingly obtuse. LoL is to Dota what TF2 is to TFC. It cuts some corners with the gameplay and more 'pro' techniques, while attempting to reconcile some simpler mechanics into more complicated ones (jungling, runes). But really, I think your problem is you haven't played enough. Even complete noobs would have a hard time tryharding in TF2 after only a few hours of gameplay (Darkside would disagree), just like any game genre one is unfamiliar with.

The best way to learn is to get a bunch of friends (like you mentioned) and just play your brains out. Having reliable teammates lets you concentrate more on strategy than being concerned with whether the pubs you're matched with will pull their own.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, Fiddlesticks using Crowstorm+Flash is not an exploit, it's the only way to play him. He's entirely possible to counter.

I play it a slight bit. I'm nowhere near decent at it, though.

I play League of Legends a bit. It's pretty nice but the updates with all these new characters are nice but I am kind of getting tired of them with the updating and then trying to figure out how to counter them with the heroes I play.

Back