-+@MM; $M@@MH+-, ;XMMMM@MMMM@+-
       ;@M@@M- XM@X;. -+XXXXXHHH@M@M#@/.
     ;%MM@@MH ,@%=            .---=-=:=,.
     =@#@@@MX .,              -%HX$$%%%+;
    =-./@M@M$                  .;@MMMM@MM:
    X@/ -$MM/                    .+MM@@@M$
   ,@M@H: :@:                    . =X#@@@@-
   ,@@@MMX, .                    /H- ;@M@;=
   .H@@@@M@+,                    %MM+..%#$.
    /MMMM@MMH/.                  XM@MH; =;
     /%+%$XHH@$=              , .H@@@@MX,
      .=--------.           -%H.,@@@@@MX,
      .%MM@@@HHHXX$$$%+- .:$MMX =M@@MM%.
        =XMMM@MM@MM#H;,-+HMM@M+ /MMMX=
          =%@M@M#@$-.=$@MM@@@M; %M%=
            ,:+$+-,/H#MMMMMMM@= =,
                  =++%%%%+/:-.

APERTURE LABORATORIES SCREENSAVERS
        brought to you by Aperture Science, Inc.
Hello, I made four "little" screensavers for you to use on your computer(s).

So here goes:

-LOGO SCREENSAVER- download (2.39 MB)

This simple screensaver will display Aperture Logo on your monitor, just like many portal in-game monitors do.

-DATA SCREENSAVER- download (2.72 MB)

Another screensaver inspired by in-game monitors. It will display the cake recipe data. Oh, yes it will...

-CAKE SCREENSAVER- download (9.3 MB)

It will randomly flash images from monitors in GLaDOS's room. It contains every image so it's pretty large, and it takes "few" seconds more to load.

-CAMERA SCREENSAVER- download (20.13 MB)

This one contains video feed from all of the cameras in various test chambers across the enrichment center. They are not animated because then the file size would be huge, and it's big enough as it is. WARNING, It features extremely long load size (about 30 seconds on my computer).

How to install:
-download the desired package
-unzip it using winzip, winrar or some other compression program
-Move "InsertNameHere.exe" and "Aperture Science - InsertNameHere.scr" files into some desired directory, like: "C:\\Program Files\ApertureScience\"
-Click the right mouse button on the Aperture Science
"Aperture Science - InsertNameHere.scr" file and select install
-The Screen Saver Properties should appear and your
new screensaver should be selected
-Enjoy

Why two files?
Screensavers need to contain a little code that checks every time it runs whether is screensaver executed as a preview, settings dialog or a screensaver. And that needs to be checked right at the start. Since my screensavers took a while to load it was a bit annoying to get a loading screen after you select the screensaver in your properties(as a preview) only to be closed after it loads because it noticed the parameters are wrong. So I added a little program that checks the parameters and then runs the real screensaver if those parameters are good. You don't have to worry if you understand that but I just tried to answer the question.

Please note the following:
- Portal and all associated stuff is trademark of Valve Software and I'm not connected with them in any way.
- I am just beginning to learning how to program so there could be few bugs.
- English is not my first language so there are lots of grammar mistakes

Thankyou very Much!!! :cheers:
but if you do anither could you please add a speed option to the cake recipie 'saver because it's a touch too fast :)

Got these, using the logo one right now. :)

Went to get a matching wallpaper to!.

I agree, the cake and code ones could do with speed options, they go a bit too fast for my tastes.

Top stuff and good work!. :imu:

Nice! Definately going to use one of these as soon as the compy is fixed :p

The code one scrolls a little fast. Can you slow it down? Btw, these kick ass. :D

these are very well done, i like the simple aperture logo the best:D

The screensavers work fine in preview but don't seem to load naturally when I am away, dunno if thats me or the screensavers though.

The screensavers work fine in preview but don't seem to load naturally when I am away, dunno if thats me or the screensavers though.

Yeah, they work in preview but not naturally for me, too.

Thank you for your kind replies.

In the next version I am planning to take care of that speed issue on that data one.

Hm... It works fine for me. Would you kindly check that timer in your properties is set to some reasonable value. Also make sure the files are correctly installed.

Oh, btw, just a suggestion, one with the cake symbol done in the same way as the others would be really awesome.
:)

Hm... It works fine for me. Would you kindly check that timer in your properties is set to some reasonable value. Also make sure the files are correctly installed.

Timer is fine...and I installed it correctly, as the readme said. Never expected a screensaver of all things to give me greif. :)

Thank you for your kind replies.

In the next version I am planning to take care of that speed issue on that data one.

Your welcome, and great!, a slower scrolling data one will look sweet. :D

Excellent work. Like the others said, make the data one slower and you have a real winner.

i'm having the same problem; it is only working in preview mode.

I dunno, a slight "fuzziness" adds to the Aperture charm. :p

Awesome work! just downloaded and very impressed. you made any other projects? :)

I have a duel monitor setup and the screen saver only appears on my main monitor. Any way I can have it show up on both monitors?

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the late reply, I kinda forgot about this topic. :eek:
I am also sorry that I cannot make the new version because my source code for it got deleted last week when my disk died. All data got corrupted and I have lost everything! Photos, pictures, music, projects, documents for school, everything... My entire life ;(

So sorry.

That is excellent. Just the kind of thing I wanted ^^

Hey guys, I first want to apologize for bumping a thread that's been dead for a year and a half; but I'm sure you'll forgive me ;)

There aren't many Ap Lab savers out on the net these days. The cake, logo & camera savers are really cool, but I'm having a problem with them. I have multiple monitors so I use UltraMon to control which screen saver runs on which monitor. The problem with that is it wants to see the screensavers in the \system32 directory. As soon as I place the screensaver & additional files in the \system32 directory they stop working with this error:

Apertu~1 said:
Error: Cannot read the game file

Now if I place the screensavers in say c:\Program Files\ApertureLaboratories they'll work. As soon as I place them in \system32 they error out.

Zombine (or anyone else that could help), do you have any insight as to what might cause the screensavers to crash when placed in the \system32 directory?

Hey guys, I'm sorry for the late reply, I kinda forgot about this topic. :eek:
I am also sorry that I cannot make the new version because my source code for it got deleted last week when my disk died. All data got corrupted and I have lost everything! Photos, pictures, music, projects, documents for school, everything... My entire life ;(

So sorry.

That is excellent. Just the kind of thing I wanted ^^

Heh :3

Great screensaver. I personally enjoy it, but the cake recipe is wayyyy too fast for me to read it. Excellent. 5/5

There's a better GLaDOS console screensaver out there.

So anyone have an answer for my question?

TTT

I still haven't gotten any of these to work in the /system32 directory so I can use them with Ultramon. I sent Zombine a PM, hoping to hear back from him soon.

I would just put them in, say the c: directory....it might be calling on some file in system32 and is causing an argument between the two. My next step is to experiment with seeing if they work when hidden...

I would just put them in, say the c: directory....it might be calling on some file in system32 and is causing an argument between the two. My next step is to experiment with seeing if they work when hidden...

How would that help me at all? Like I said, for them to work with Ultramon they must be located in the /system32 directory.

Yeah these are pretty good. I was wondering, how did you do the camera one?

Can someone PLEASE change the Aperture Logo Screensaver so that it displays in a higher resolution? My computer displays 1680 x 1050 dimensions, and the logo screensaver looks horrible because there is a large, black bar on each side of the screen.

Oh pleaseopleaseoplease. I will love you forever.

Back