Are old magic the gathering cards worth anything?

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Doing some cleaning, and found a little over 800 Magic The Gathering cards. They're all in decent shape, was wondering if I could sell the lot for anything. Would anybody buy a lot like this, sight unseen for 20 bucks or something, or is there no chance of a collection this old having a good card anymore? We're talking cards anywhere from like, 1993 to 98 or so.

From what I remember, only the really special cards are still valuable, because a lot of play doesn't allow older editions. Have a look through to see if you've got any obviously special stuff, gold or foil or w/e, and you could probably price check that online

The nerd shop up town sells most cards in bulk for a few bucks. I think they're mostly pretty common now.

****, that was a great game though. About a year ago a friend of mine found all his old decks, and we would drink a few beers, attempt to remember the more obscure bits of the rules, and shout our way through a game. I had a ridiculous green deck that stomped all over everything. good times

Really depends, some of the really early cards are worth thousands of dollars in good conditions. Older cards still get some tournament use, so it's definitely possible that you have some good ones (oftentimes seemingly simple spells or lands can be worth a lot). Have a look online if you have any interest, you're probably more likely to make more money examining them than just trying to sell all the cards in bulk.

I just picked out the "rare" cards, which from what I can remember are the ones with gold symbols. I have a ton with no symbols at all too, which I guess means they're older than that "gold symbol" standard. I have a few worth $10-$15 though, so I figure I'll put it up for bidding on ebay and list those cards, so I should get at least $20 to $30 bucks out of it. I check for the big money cards I saw people mention online and don't have any of the top ones (thousand dollar cards, etc).

What sets are the cards from? That'll make a big difference on how much they're worth.

I don't believe I bought any of them from a store. They were all acquired from friends who quit the game when I was still playing. They're a mess of cards from the early to late 90s, so I have no idea what sets that entails, and they're all mixed up together.

I just picked out the "rare" cards, which from what I can remember are the ones with gold symbols.

Yeah, the ones with the gold symbols are rare cards. That'll identify most of the cards that are worth anything, though there are a decent amount of common or uncommon cards that are worth a fair amount as well simply because they are great for their mana cost or whatever. Could be a pain to sift through your entire collection though, so I guess it depends on how thorough you want to be.

EDIT: Also, it's worth noting that some of the older series didn't have the colour distinction for rarity. In that case, all the cards would have black symbols or no symbol (as you mentioned).

I have a shitload of X-Men collector cards from the mid-90s. Should look-see if they're worth a couple bucks. Probably not.

Yeah, I also found a ton of Pokemon cards, and Warlord cards, but I figure they aren't worth shit.

Back