Are the vorts as powerful as gman?

tehsolace

Reaction score
Theres a few things I want to understand.

1) Gman 'saves' gordon at the end of HL2 and I guess puts him back in stasis? Was his sole purpose in using gordon just to destroy the citadel's power reactor? At the beginning of EP1 it seems as though he didn't want gordon being released by the vorts... so this implies he wanted to use him for another mission or to keep him in stasis right?

2) The vorts save alyx from the explosion since gman apparently didn't. Then they protect gordon with their powers. So the vorts seem to have a matchable power against gman right?

1. G-Man's goal may not have been the destruction of Breen's reactor, but apparently this action satisified his mysterious goals. Perhaps he was tasked with getting rid of Dr. Breen? At any rate, Freeman was about to be subjected to a different assignment after HL2 considerring the offers G-Man recieved.

2. G-Man is sure to overpower the Vortigaunts sooner or later. Otherwise he wouldn't be much of a villian figure.

1. G-man used the events of Black Mesa to transform Gordon, in HL2 he utilized his tool to rattle the Combines grip on Earth. You destroyed the reactor and stopped Breen escaping Earth - G-man was satisfied, you got extracted because you are G-mans tool and he needs you. He recieves several offers for Gordon's services, and at the beginning of EP1 it would appear as though he has taken up one of these offers.

2. Unsure. It took a few of them to do it, and G-man really wasn't expecting it to happen. They caught him off guard, but they can't hold him back forever. The G-man is going to attempt now to either regain Gordon, or eradicate him.

Like I've said before, the G-man said we'll see about that, and I don't think he was bluffing.

I agree with Samon, it takes a lot of them just to keep him at bay, and he was ambushed. Eventually, he will regain control.

Samon said:
The G-man is going to attempt now to either regain Gordon, or eradicate him.

By using his secret weapon, Adrian shephard! sorry samon :smoking:

Surely the gman could regain gordon any time he wants? could he not once again altar gordons perception of time and warp to his location, but i suppose the vortigaunts relinquished all power gman had over gordon when they removed him out of stasis.

comoxer said:
By using his secret weapon, Adrian shephard! sorry samon :smoking:
Don't be a fool. G-Man's true secret weapon is Colonel Odessa Cubbage. :E

Anyway, I think the G-Man has power over any individual as he chooses. Freeman and Shephard were not under G-Man's control when they were teleported away from the explosive endings of their final boss fights.

I really like the way G-Man will (may) be hunting Gordon with any means possible! Damn, now it's not only the Combine forces on earth that is hunting his sorry ***! I wonded if G-Man will appear in gameplay in the forthcoming episodes?

i think that over the next episodes we will see the vortiguans powers weaken as gman try to take gordon back, like some kinds of halucunations to the player. when someone are about to say ´freeman´ he or she change into gman for a split second :)

The vorts had to be in force to hold the gman back, but even so, there were only a handful of those... Unless he's got a small army of siblings, the Gman wouldn't walk too easily from a tiff with a larger force of the gaunts.

Retribution from the prior employer... that'll make a great episode 3, don't ya think? The trailer for ep2 focuses on reclaiming the earth from the combine, or at least starting the fight against them, and a bit more in-depth to the vorts and Alyx's hopeful revival. No doubt they're gonna do a big twist at the end though, and it's my bet that it's gonna be the Gman opening some portal, or zipping Gordon off to some alternate universe for revenge, or something that will set up a showdown between the vorts and gman.
On that note, here's to hoping that it doesn't end so easily. I want to see Valve develop this thing into a nice long series of episodes before they decide to give it all a facelift and shove HL3 on the shelves.

I'm still adapting to the fact that the gman's not a beneficial character...

I don't think the Vort's are directly as powerful as the Gman. The closest analogy I have would be the street punks that wait for the big muscley security guard to unlock a door, before they jump him, grab as much loot as they can run with, and then run off before security guard can whip out his baton and beat the crap out those puny kids.

i remember somewhere before the release of Ep1, that valve said that there would be a rise of a third power. Obviously vortigaunts.

One thing I didn't get..if Vortigaunts could teleport Gordon and Alyx out of the mess, why did they send Gordon under a pile of junk (where DOG digs you out from) :p

What if Gordon or Alyx would get teleported inside a wall :|
Would anyone survive that? :O

i think they buried him because no patroling combine would find him until alyx did

perhaps the vorts teleporting abilities are less advanced as the gmans... hence why he was teleported minutes (maybe even an hour) after alyx was, and why alyx was already looking for him in the rubble...

tehsolace said:
perhaps the vorts teleporting abilities are less advanced as the gmans... hence why he was teleported minutes (maybe even an hour) after alyx was, and why alyx was already looking for him in the rubble...
Or, more likely, they're roughly equally advanced, so when the G-man is involved they have to take drastic measures to prevent his interference.

Or, it could of just taken a bit of time for the vortigaunts to actually get to where-ever the G-man was holding Gordon.

Or they had to spend some time putting on their purple make up :p

Back