Are there any sound cards that can drive 2 subs?

Sedako

Chuck Steak
Reaction score
I have a friend with 2 pairs of Logitech Z-4 2.1 speaker systems. He would like to use able to use both subs in surround mode (Z-4 speakers/sub for the front and a second setup for the rear). Are there any sound cards that would allow for this, or would he have to invest in a receiver?

I have no idea. I have not heard or seen of any.
but if anyone would have something that powerful, creative would
I do a lot of pro audio mixing and recording, but that has never come up...

I have a friend with 2 pairs of Logitech Z-4 2.1 speaker systems. He would like to use able to use both subs in surround mode (Z-4 speakers/sub for the front and a second setup for the rear). Are there any sound cards that would allow for this, or would he have to invest in a receiver?
I think you would need a receiver/amplifier. If he wants to set up a 4.2 channel system. That's a bit strange ...

if you had a 4 channel receiver/amplifier, then you can hook up two of the speakers for the front channel and two of them for the rear channel.

Now, some receivers have a sub output.

without getting too complicated, he would need to find out the impedance (resistance) of the subs. It might be stated in the manual that came with it, but usually it will say on the bottom of the unit or on the back of the magnet of the actual subwoofer (would have to take it apart)

Running the two subs in a chain - that is - one wire from the stereo going to one sub, then run a wire from that sub to the other sub... this will cut the impedance of the subs in half. so if the sub was 4 ohms, running it in a chain would make them 2 ohms, which is hard on the stereo and could kill it.

Provided the receiver could handle the lowered impedance of only 2 ohms (most accept 8 or 4 ohms) then it would work fine. A high end receiver could probably handle it, but you would need to check the stats or the manual.

The subs don't need separate channels because bass kind of masks the direction, which is why satellite speaker systems generally have one sub that can be hidden away.

Why... do you want two subs? All you would get is twice the amplitude.

One sub wouldn't be enough for me. I want to feel my ribs shake.

One sub wouldn't be enough for me. I want to feel my ribs shake.

two... I need at least my two dual 18" running 1200W
now that shakes the balcony of the auditorium where i work.

Or there is the one concert i worked at...
we had 9 dual 18" sub cabs, on either side of the stage... that was a good concert!

Back