Are you a CCD (College Confidence Guy): Read

BabyHeadCrab

The Freeman
Reaction score
This is an annoying and long winded post which you may or may not find offensive, boring as hell, egotistical; or outright, infuriatingly stupid.

You've been warned.

It's time for my bi-monthly attention grab and I have SO many things to talk to you guys and gals about. Firstly, How have all of you been? Feel free to PM and spam my wall, I'm lonely and cry periodically to myself--often times to thoughts of Ennui's supple bod.

So I know you've all be wondering how I am, because I'm quite obviously beloved to each and every one of you here, chiefly: [strike]TGB, attn-chan, Pi the powertrip, Chris_D, Samon, Cpt. Stern armchair liberal extraordinaire, 1357--recently discovered the joys of alcohol, hopefully he'll discover the joys of a psychoanalysis one of these days, too--also "Willeh",who has been our best troll member since Shens--yet his puberty seems as everlasting as Darkside's eerie penchant for cheesy 90s media characters,).[/strike],

I really don't know who browses nowadays, though lurking has been a chore with the poor moderation and influx of idiots. I do miss: Ennui, Vegeta, Darkside and all those fags, I'm sure you guys are still around.

nightshade (jeff), on-wee, cya guys soon --but ******. Take a look at off-topic and try to tell me god isn't dead. The most popular troll thread was created by our allegedly strictest moderator: what the hell are you guys doing? Go ahead my little Nietschians, take a minute to browse elsewhere, perhaps if a part of you agrees with me you'll return to my winding, somewhat ironically pathetic digital diatribe. Done? Ok. time is about all I have for this next week: Proceed if you've not digressed unto other more capturing stimuli.

I digress, It's beyond time for some more egomaniacal (egomaniacal is a word, stupid forum spell check) ranting. I've been alright, currently doing a round of detox after going a bit amphetamine crazy on finals week.​

Let's face it: if you can do three months worth of work in a week, and the alternative is losing a 3.6 average, you'll take the binge and cope with the couple weeks of brain-itch, irritability and general inanity that follow. That's not to excuse my idiotic drug abuse and lack of discipline; but as a band-aid it kept me afloat in a very competitive academic environment.

So, yeah, I went crazy for a while--became non-ugly in college, did a lot of drugs and broke some hearts, made some idiotic decisions, rationalized them with more idiotic decisions and followed it all up by almost ending up in a detox facility.

Yet here I am, blessed as many other members of the privileged white upper-middle U.S. class, tapering off my meds under the supervision of my psychiatrist dad and psychologist mother, taking classes and working a do-nothing job. Here's to another summer at home, surely with too much time to read forums like this one. I'm changing every day; realizing how much I've been given--how much better I have it than most people, finally ****ing slowing down. Starting to enjoy giving back--helping out, returning the favor. I'm happy for the damn free time, too.

Thank god for this parents having money and being white thing. Thank God/Allah/Combine Slug Dude for the sandy beach behind house on the lake purchased by my lovely parents, which I'm about to journey towards while I wait for replies and take leisurely photographs. Thanks--mom and dad, for selling this place to put me and my siblings through college. sorry. The beach and morning birds will stay with me, even as you become elderly and dependent and this house is a distant memory only remedied by thoughts of your long-gone mortgages. It's lovely being home, even if I cannot wait to go back to school.

Lessons I've learned:

1. Sometimes, you just have to shut the **** up and work: There's not always an easy way out, particularly this stupidly competitive college I've transferred to--I have to bust my ass, and this last semester it almost busted mine. Guess we all hit that point where we get it done or life gets done with us, chose the first.

2. Women I = These creatures cost time -- as much as she may seem cute, as much as you might think you're falling in love and anything should be put aside for her, it's bullshit. You both probably know it's temporary. Work, friends, personal recreation are important here.

3. Women: II (aka Honesty,capital ****ing H, to one another) : Just ****ing be honest. If you don't like her any more, say so--be nice about it, but ****ing say something. Just as you didn't like being lead around by Ms. Flirty Cutesy pants first-tits-in-school girl in high school, neither does she by College Confidence Dude (CCD). So enjoy life as a CCD, just don't lie to her. If you stopped being attracted, c'est la vie, vous ne mourrez pas sur [strike]Elle[/strike]. Ça ne fait rien. Ca me fait chier. For those on the opposite end: learn to take a hint, ask questions, be honest about skepticism but don't be ****ing creepy.

3.1: Intuition and or clairvoyance: No, I'm not talking about drive, buckling down, etc--I'm referring to wielding the self-discipline to do what you want to do. Go for the degree you appreciate most. Date, fcuk, eat, spend time with whomever and whatever you want, it's your life, do what makes you happy, just do not waste your time and money if making grades is not on said list. Spend most of your time trying to make yourself happy, but don't forget long term goals require stints of short-term diligence.

4 Talk to your Educators:: You, or some other generous governmental or charitable organization is paying for you to be in school. Make ****ing use of this time, you only get it once. Get to know your educators, that's half the fight. Talk to a professor once or twice after lecture. Stop by their office for a chat. Even if you ****ing hate them, pay them a visit and see who they really are, so they may see who you really are. This is more valuable than any of the above points--quote it for those who've inevitably stopped to read only the troll replies.

About all I've got to stay for now. Being off drugs is a bit like being on them.

Until next time,

Alby

I take offense to the term "troll". I prefer "high class gremlin" and I've been past puberty ever since I hit my mid forties and went through my midlife crisis.

Second of all, totally f*cking agree with that last part.

Well, I read all of it. Everyone has their own experiences so its hard to compare, but those last two points I definitely agree with.

Hello there how are you BHC

Amphetamines all suck though man those are some bad times

Lesson 1: Writing an essay can always be compressed into two days' work.
Lesson 2: Half of everything is luck, this holds doubly true for exams.
Lesson 3: Your reaction to having taken an exam should always be alcohol. Celebrate the good times or drown your sorrows with friends, s'all good.
Lesson 4: Teachers consider you the enemy.
Lesson 5: The people who give you your loans consider you the enemy.

Hello there how are you BHC

Amphetamines all suck though man those are some bad times

I just remember the library when I first genuinely felt "speeding". I was reading Ginsberg and ate 80mg of Adderal--I was the happiest I'd been since my childhood. After that I realized I carried a dangerously addictive narcotic around, but if I wasn't ever productive as hell.

Wrote the shit out of the paper, remade a lot of connections with friends, did some paintings, wrote a few short stories and started the next week's work load. A couple of weeks later I'd do the same on MDMA powder--particularly interesting way to be productive, also extremely harmful to do more than once or twice a year.

What a siren call, I volunteered--was pretty stupid.

Lesson 1: Writing an essay can always be compressed into two days' work.
Lesson 2: Half of everything is luck, this holds doubly true for exams.
Lesson 3: Your reaction to having taken an exam should always be alcohol. Celebrate the good times or drown your sorrows with friends, s'all good.
Lesson 4: Teachers consider you the enemy.
Lesson 5: The people who give you your loans consider you the enemy.

1-3: My brain chemistry situation is unique. I have a thyroidal and neurological processing issue--put most simply: instead of thinking a. b. c. I think d. c. e. a. b. --that's really the only way to explain it without sending you a lot of information you won't care to read.
Alcohol is something I can only consume in serious moderation, though I love to celebrate in pubs, parties, etc. You may also be confused by the word "essay"--which can constitute 20 to 50 pages+, for multiple classes, in my case.

4: Not at this sort of college, undergrad focus with lots of tenure. We're spoiled--as are many private school goers in the U.S. with scholarship / govt. loans. or family $. I started at a uni in a bad neighborhood with almost no money however, and found that even those profs loved to be approached--there's essentially no excuse (unless you smell really, really bad--in which case you've got some other things ahead on your priority list).

5. I don't believe I ever claimed the opposite, but sound advice none the less!

#1: yes.
#2: EDIT: Guys often seem to want to give women sacrifices; look how much I'm hurting for you, look what I'm giving up for you. This kind of gesture doesn't benefit either party and there's a problem if anyone is demanding it without cause. Those last two words are important because I don't think anyone should be encouraged never to make sacrifices. It just comes down to a question of necessity, and all questions of necessity must be interrogated - if only as far as asking whether we trust the person.
#3: I guess?
#4: yes!

Just finished my final exam. Glad you're okay(ish)! Isn't it nice to be of a class that allows you aspirations and real chances? Just make sure that once you've taken them, you don't betray those who never had the opportunity - more than you already have, that is.

Appreciate the response sulkz. You're right about not betraying those who haven't been given opportunity, or my proprietors--who have been overly generous as is.

The honesty comment is legitimate, too. Lying is not always a bad thing in relationships.

ed. with high functioning addicts being so common these days, think we have any chances of a prestigious, internationally recognized grad school with plenty of M.A/PhD programs that also doubles as a rehab facility?

^ joke, seems reasonable though

I agree on the STFU and work. Stop whining about your problems, especially to other people. They dont care as they have their own mountain of issues like everyone else. Theyre just waiting for their turn to talk. So STFU, and MAKE your problems go away. Only way you can do that is through action.

Id have to say, getting a decent 'relationship' with a lecturer makes a world of difference.

My personal tutor also happened to be our year's favourite lecturer, and we did atleast 2 modules a semester with him. I ended up picking modules that he was head of, just to have him teach me, and thats not a gay thing. EVERYONE did it until the module became full and you were forced to take something else. We all loved his style of teaching and his personality, and all had such a good laugh with him during lecturers. We didnt just sit and take notes, we got involved, he was always open to debates that would last the whole 1-2 hours even if it meant not finishing what he was planning for that lecture. And we ALWAYS felt like we had actually learnt and accomplished something everytime we left the lecture. Thats what teaching should be like. He was so good at it.

He said that he had been teaching 20 years now and that we were by far the best year he had ever had the privilege of teaching. He sent us all an email thanking us for the awesome time he had teaching us. Not because of grades, but because of the relationship that grew between us and him.

First lecture we ever had with him, he said he would guess everyone's name correctly by the end of the semester. This was about 20 maybe 25 people. He said if he got one wrong, he would buy us all a drink at the SU bar. He forgot 3 names, and he kept his word, we all sat on the grass in the middle of the square with pints (only allowed to as there was a lecturer present), soaking up the sun and having a laugh. I seem to remember him playing 'Jump Around' at some point in the 2nd or 3rd lecture we had with him.

You felt confident going to ask him for help during and after lectures. He always made time for you.

Its people like him that make or break your experience at Uni when it comes to the lecturers and, inevitably, how much you LEARN each lecture.

If youre sat there watching a power point presentation for 2 hours with a 10 minute break after 1 hour, your mind goes numb and you dont give a **it. And then they tell you they will be putting the presentation online for us...and you think why the hell did I bother listening???

I agree on the STFU and work. Stop whining about your problems, especially to other people. They dont care as they have their own mountain of issues like everyone else. Theyre just waiting for their turn to talk. So STFU, and MAKE your problems go away. Only way you can do that is through action.

DEPENDENCY IS WEAKNESS

FORCE OUT THE SADNESS WITH ANGER AND ACRONYMS

I don't like whining, but I would feel terrible if I didn't feel like my friends look emphasis on friends could come and talk to me about a problem they're having.

This is called a healthy relationship.

Well yeah obviously you need to let it out, and you do listen to people's problems because thats what friends do.

But do you REALLY CARE? If its a girl, its a case of 'anything for ***sy' mentality when you help them. Its in our DNA as guys.

Well, yes, I think I do really care about my friends - even women (ew). I don't know about you.

In threads like these there are always instances of reactionary rulemaking, but we have to be cautious of them. But because sometimes seeking help or advice or just a vent can inflate into 'whining' or even manipulation, people should never seek help or advice? Never have a good moan? And because sometimes people make sacrifices that are false, and that harm their lives, for nothing very much, no sacrifice should ever be made or no priority reconsidered? (no offence BHC, I don't think this was quite what you were saying)

The potential for abuse or disaster is not a good reason to abandon something - only to be cautious and reasonable. Welcome to the difficult craft of being an ethical actor in the world.

Bit of strawmannage going on there, but I catch your drift. Bemoaning, it seems, is what I do.

Your last sentence is particularly powerful. Thanks for it.

I do miss: Ennui, Vegeta, Darkside and all those fags

Baw. :cat:

I have nothing intelligent to add to the thread mainly because I didn't go to college and couldn't really see myself in any of these situations.

So instead I humbly offer my show of appreciation at being missed by someone like you, BHC.

I have to bust my ass, and this last semester it almost busted mine. Guess we all hit that point where we get it done or life gets done with us, chose the first.

This is the first year in my entire life in which I am doing fantastic in school and really, really enjoy my degree.
It was slightly tougher than usual. Maybe I haven't gotten to the sucky part of college yet.. because everyone talks about that part.

Thank god for this parents having money and being white thing.

Or maybe it's because I still live with my white parents and don't have to pay for stuff.

Meow is the basis of all opinions in this thread.

1: Yes. Around here too, exams/finals period is generally dominated by adderall sales/trading and binging. My roommate tends to go on 4-5 day dextroamphetamine binges to get his shit done. I use it a little, mostly when I have a paper to do and a deadline in the next 24 hours, but frankly I dislike it a lot so abuse has never been an issue for me. However I've seen my roommate and other people I know try to catch up on months of work in a week's period by binging the **** out and I think that's a horrible idea. It's a lot more intelligent to just DO YOUR SHIT before it starts hitting the fan.

2: Yes

3: YES

3.1: HOLY ****ING YES 10/10 4 stars I agree ++;

4: This is super important. Maintaining a relationship with professors in subjects that really interest you is key IMO. I generally keep a low profile (often because I tend to miss quite a bit of class) but in courses that I'm genuinely passionate about (which tend to be literature courses) I make contact with the professor and keep him in the loop. It helps because not only are they a great resource to help you with any questions related to the subject (even if you're no longer in the class) and help develop your writing skills or whatever, but if you need an extension or something like that, being familiar and friendly with your professors tends to make them a LOT more amenable to bending the rules or giving you a break when you need it.

I'm lonely and cry periodically to myself--often times to thoughts of Ennui's supple bod.

<3 i'm stroking it right now thinking about you. Good post man, I'm sorry to hear about having to detox. I've always said that attention drugs (in particular adderall which is literally just speed) are super dangerous and that it's absurd how highly prescribed and available they are.

Well yeah obviously you need to let it out, and you do listen to people's problems because thats what friends do.

But do you REALLY CARE? If its a girl, its a case of 'anything for ***sy' mentality when you help them. Its in our DNA as guys.

This is what is call sociopathy.

I'm going home to work over the summer. I need to decide if i'm going to drop out of community college and move back home, or finally stop talking about changing my ways and actually do it, cause if I bomb another semester, i'm going to get kicked out school (hah, kicked out of community college!), the house i'm staying in, and mommy is going to cut me off.

:/

Addys are bunk, you'll just be up all night and even if you wanted to sleep you can't. Coffee is bettar. ;)

BHC said:
So, yeah, I went crazy for a while--became non-ugly in college, did a lot of drugs and broke some hearts, made some idiotic decisions, rationalized them with more idiotic decisions and followed it all up by almost ending up in a detox facility.
Being able to look back and say "lesson learned" is the definition of growth--that you can recognize, analyze, and pull something from these idiotic decisions.

Of the numbered lessons, agreed on all, but #4 is particularly important and makes me wish I kept in better touch with some of the professors I'd gotten to know. You never know what kind you might learn from them outside of lectures, and even if they're people you "hate" in class, person-to-person you might find them to be quite affable.

And of course, #2, but I'm sure everyone expected me to agree with that one.

I do miss: Ennui, Vegeta, Darkside and all those fags, I'm sure you guys are still around.
The truth is we are trapped and cannot leave this place.

I don't follow quite understand #4. The only time I would ever talk with a professor is if I'm struggling academically, which I never am. What would somebody talk about?

I don't follow quite understand #4. The only time I would ever talk with a professor is if I'm struggling academically, which I never am. What would somebody talk about?

It's good if they know who you are. It could make them more likely to choose you for internships and such. Also, a lecturer will try to be more lenient when marking your paper if they know that you came to all the lectures and did your assignments.

ShadowArmy(What a dumb name) said:

^ You become friends with your lecturers, 'cause they'll be more likely to help if you get stuck in a sticky situation, they probably end up giving more of a shit about you and your life if you give them the same back etc.

Going to a music college thing myself, I guess it's easy to like my teachers, 'cause they always talk about how awesome King Crimson and Led Zeppelin is, what they used to record their songs etc. I'm actually learning about shit that I want to, whereas my previous "passion" was only an answer to the social retardation I suffered in High School - escaping to worlds of adventure, peril, etc. rather than sitting around in Biology class arguing with air-headed moron bitches why animal testing shouldn't be done on Pedophiles, and their response would always be "They're evil." And this was usually before I was starting more-than-needed public arguments with people about how "you're the cockroach on the floor of society, nobody gives a shit about me, about you, or anyone in this ****ing establishment - you should thank your parents for ****ing at a time like this."Lucky I was and still train self-defence! Though the "cretins" as I used to call them never understood what I was actually talking about and just left me alone instead, I eventually started having the same attitude towards most teachers (Which is my original point of get to know your ****ing lecturers) and it got to the point that no one besides my close friends would want to talk to me at all. I got called "Terrorist" for a year or two, I never understood why. I was obsessed with using metaphors to insult people, and was stuck with the idea that High School was a minimum security prison for children, made to form and force one into a mould to come out the other side as a responsible, hard-working citizen without any form of imagination or yearning for "The outside".

No wonder I'm a conspiracy nut these days.

After studying film-related multi-media at community college, I used that certificate to get myself into an actual university, studying Game Design up in Brisbane (I'll find you one day Naph you son of a bitch, and my God will it be awkward) - I didn't really look forward to it as much as a 15 year old Danimal probably would have. It was kind of like "Wow so I guess I'm going to be a game designer for the rest of my life 'cause nothing is really better." So I mean at the start of the first year it's all good 'cause I did oral essays on TF2 and the likes, stuff which seemed relevant to me (But my time gaming waned dramatically after High School and I more or less got a social life outside my house, since we all started getting licenses, drank, smoked, talked to girls and shit). Though gradually (Especially once I started programming) I was finding myself walking around Brisbane, sitting on the daily two-hour train trip I had to take to get there, or in the middle of class thinking "What the **** am I doing? What the **** am I doing? What the **** am I doing?"

...So I started going to uni stoned.

Before that point smoking weed was just something for weekends, casual chilling, though it was suddenly making the train rides up to Brisbane a lot easier. I eventually started to think the same would apply to lectures. Now, I'm all for occasionally sitting through a two-hour lecture about the history of RPGs baked as, but when it got to the point that I was huddled in the disabled toilet on the very corner of the campus, sucking on a resin-packed pipe thinking it was the only way I could get through a uni day, only resulting in me sitting in the back of classes too afraid of people knowing I'm stoned to talk to them (including the lecturer) something was obviously very wrong, shortly after I was failing half the classes I took, my programming teacher said to me "Congratulations, you've wasted $1.6k on this subject alone."

That guy was a prick anyway, loved his shitty car more than his hot wife.

I even went to uni on (what I thought was, but was proven SO VERY WRONG OH GOD) two weak tabs of acid once, but that's a story for later.

So anyway, I knew if I kept to that course and career choice I'd probably end up with a mid-life crisis, sitting on my fat ass somewhere in an office for a games company I either wouldn't like or have never heard of - slowly designing the graphics for Dora the Explorer's Underwater Sea Race Challenge. Especially once the gaming scene became more mainstream and the likes of ultra-casual bro gamers was getting more attention than true gamers - Surely Darkside can understand - I had to get out of there. I wish it took shorter then a year for me to realise this, though, 'cause it all feels like wasted time now.

After the first year ended in November, while sitting around one of my stoner friend's garage, sucking on my 100th bong for the night, one of said stoner friends suddenly clears his throat.

"Dan, bro."
"Yeah, bro?"
"Dan, bro."
"What?!"
"Me, [friend] and [friend] are gonna' move down to Byron Bay, bro. Study at this place called SAE, they teach you how to be a music producer and shit, setting up live shows, even teaching you business!"

My blood-shot eyes suddenly sprang open. I had an epiphany.

When I was around 12 I remember my brother, probably high on his latest power trip 'cause he figured out how to use Linux and just polished another decorational knife from a shitty market, was telling me how the music I probably listened to (I actually had no musical taste at the time at all, only listening to the radio when in the car with my mum etc.) was shit and how his was better - So he gave me his collection of Nine Inch Nails, A Perfect Circle & Tool albums .I've been big fans of those bands and alternative music in general since, there was finally something that wasn't some midi-made piece of shit with some asshole whining about how it's his girlfriend's fault they broke up. As my friends kept filling me in on bands like Trivium, Slipknot, Korn, Deftones etc. (We were only young teens, just in case knut is all "you're a fag­got" about this) I was starting to become interested in more than just video games, though it didn't really bloom to the extent it is today until I got a bass guitar to call my own. Her name is Ophelia, and despite being a budget brand (Soundz LOL) guitar, I love her very much.

Byron Bay is roughly 40 minutes south in a car from where I live, the Bay itself was known around the Gold Coast for two things: Parkway Drive, and weed.

Parkway Drive(For those who don't know) are an Australian Hardcore band that more or less put Byron Bay on the map as a metaphorical mecca for people looking to get signed up. So many kids were stealing the Parkway Drive street sign (the street they jammed in and hence called the band after it) they had to change the name of the place to throw off noobs.

But anyway I'm severely off-track with my original point. Talking to lecturers.

It only took maybe a few seconds for the idea of dropping out of Uni and going to Byron Bay/SAE to rush through the THC-clogged tubes in my brain and make me think "Well hey, that's not a bad idea at all." When I was younger I was always in a daze about the dream of being the typical rock star, the money to get trashed all the time and the fame for no one to think I was ****ed in the head, weird, like I was treated in High School.

"Bro... Can I come?"
"What?"
"Bro, can I come?"
"Are you a fagg­ot?"
"SAE."
"Oh! Yeah, have $2k saved up before the end of the year."

To cut out four months that consisted of handfuls of acid, a friend of mine being kidnapped by Lebanese Gangsters because of false identity (Who was later offered to work for them when they realised their mistake(Some real GTA shit if you ask me)) and my brother becoming a Krishna Devotee after half-quitting drugs - It was the end of the year, and I once again meet with the three stoner friends.

"So what's the plan?"
"What plan."
"For SAE, bro."
"Oh. Yeah. We don't have the money."
"..."

I was devastated, especially at how casual they were about the fact they sat on their asses in a dark, smelly garage smoking weed for four months straight instead of using the money to move out. Then I thought, "No, **** this. These assholes gave me hope and there's no way I'm going back to Uni. I'm going to SAE with or without them."

Byron Bay is in the state south to me, so license and road rules are a bit ****ed up. I couldn't afford to move out on my own, though as a bizarre twist of events, after e-mailing the institute with my almost sexual desire to study with them, they pointed me to their Brisbane Campus.

I filled in my application form I think a month before they started accepting them, I was just so excited with the idea I was actually going to study the technical side of Music, learning how to use mixing tables, mic up drum kits, produce albums independently etc. At the time a lot of my other friends were forming into bands, eager to write and record demos, and I felt like a prophet or some kind of awesome-cu­nt when I'd enter the room, baked off my head, and say in an epic voice.

I WILL BE YOUR PRODUCER.

Long story short, my lecturers consist of an Irish guy who works backstage on big shows like Deep Purple and AC/DC, an English guy who's released a few clubbing albums and an aussie guy with an epic beard, who was basically the lecturer I originally described.

I actually like talking to these people, sometimes I wait until the end of a lecture just to see how shit is going with them, I tell them about how I'm slowly setting up a home studio, the kind of bands my friends are forming, and they usually tell me of similar or the same.

I haven't gone to SAE stoned yet, despite taking the same train ride, two hours to get there in Brisbane (NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPH) if I ever do, it would probably be if I was to remaster songs and all that.

In my year at Uni I only took down two pages of notes before giving up. I have taken over 80 pages of notes and I haven't even finished the first Trimester yet. I actually look forward to getting into the music industry in some way, I'm friends with a tour manager who occasionally hooks my friends up and I with free tickets to gigs - She's also kept me in mind for whenever she needs backstage work at small gigs and shows.

A 16 channel mixer was just somehow sitting in my house the ten years I've been living here, which now sits next to my keyboard at this very desk, used quite often to record quick bass lines I need to show friends. One friend of mine gave me a Digi Design M Box and a legit copy of Pro Tools 8 LE to me for a small fee, saving me $600. It's just crazy how all this shit is either falling in my lap or is just somehow guided to me and my best friend of ten years. We are both going to have a Progressive Industrial Sludge Metal project. I hope you guys hear it one day.

One time I saw Whitechapel live, before they were as famous as they are these days, and hung around the back of the venue with my friends.

We met them. We smoked joints with half of them.

They signed the weed bag my ex-lebanese-drug-runner friend still keeps with him today. We told them about the bands we were making, our ideas for music and the industry. We then had to explain why "Mad Cu­nt" is actually a compliment down here in Oz (The look on Phil Bozeman's face when I called him that was priceless).

"You guys are basically the Aussie versions of us before we got signed up, you know?" They told us, this was especially true when my guitarist friend asked the one of the guitarists from Whitechapel:

"What the **** do you guys do when you're on the tour bus, bored out of your mind?"
"I play the PSP."
"I have a PSP...! ...God of War?"
"GOD OF ****ING WAR"

They shared a lot of bro hugs, then. I got one for wearing a Megadeth shirt Respect the Old School and all taht.

"Just have a decent image and you guys should be fine."

Whitechapel headlined one of Brisbane's biggest music festivals this year.

ANYWAY TL;DR: Talk to your lecturers or else I'll bash you, dweeb.

and I guess a TL;DR for the rest of the stuff: I'm now an art college drop-out LOL First year Game Design consisted more of sketching naked people, trees, etc. for half of the subjects rather than actually designing ****ing games. Our classes were so closely aligned with the Animation bachelour.

I thought CCD stood for Confident College Douchebags. I am sitting next to a bunch right now. Going on and on regurgitating other people's opinions and causes. They are crying about the oil spill right now, as though it personally affects them. Whine whine whine. God I hate them.

Yeah college can totally screw up your life with craploads of work. I never felt the need or desire to take any drugs (heck I didn't even know what adderall was until someone mentioned it during my sophomore year). However, by sheer willpower and the magical combination of gummy worms and sweet tea (or frozen Dr. Pepper if my options were limited), I managed to get all my work done and totally screw up my sleeping habits in the process. I spent two and a half years not sleeping properly in a bed -- I had it set up so that my computer faced the foot of my bed, and my books and papers were scattered over the majority of my bed, and I had a one-and-a-half-foot space in between my books and my computer where I would sit to work and sleep. Often I'd do some work, get tired, wake up at 2 or 3 or 4 AM and do some more work (just turn to the left if I needed to write a report, turn to the right if I needed to do hand-written homework), take another nap, ad infinitum. It's so habitual that I still go through the cycle even when I have no work to do. Do not do this -- it is terrible. Never put your computer next to your bed.

As for profs....
I hardly ever went to my profs for homework help (usually just worked it out by myself or went to a TA if I really needed help). Also never stopped by their office for nothing. However, they are definitely a good resource for advice on important issues like what to do for the next three months of summer... or the rest of your life. Just remember, your prof is likely engaged in some kind of research, and therefore probably wants to get you involved in it. If they like you enough, they will recommend you to someone. I was able to get into a couple of different undergrad research opportunities just by asking profs for advice on which faculty members did work I'm interested in.

That said, you should never plan on doing nothing over the summer (unless you're so burned out that you absolutely need a break). If you are in science or engineering and you are either (a) interested in research, or (b) can't get a job -- ask a prof to get you involved. You will probably get paid.

And regarding jobs -- unless your gpa is terrible (in which case, you're kinda screwed), your success in interviews is almost entirely based on how well your personality meshes with the recruiter's, and not at all about your actual qualifications. Unfortunately, the vast majority of recruiters are Stereotypical Egotistic Yuppies. My sister, who was great at playing to recruiters' egos and is now herself a Stereotypical Yuppie going quickly towards management positions in her career, got like 10 or 15+ job offers. I got a total of three job offers ever, and all of these were from the only three times where my recruiter was a well-grounded 40+ year-old woman.

So just be aware that if you don't get job offers, it's probably not because of how smart you are (most jobs are mindlessly idiotic), but simply that you are not a sucker.

And whats all this crap about having to sacrifice sleep to get work done that I aways hear on boards and topics talking about college?

Is this graduate school we are talking about?

Are you trying to work full time and attend full time, at the same time?

Are these people just spending too much time getting drunk/stoned?

And whats all this crap about having to sacrifice sleep to get work done that I aways hear on boards and topics talking about college?

(!) What's your major? (2) How many classes did you take each semester? (3) Have you ever had to write a lab report? (4) If so, were all your lab reports 10-20 pages each?

Also, I found grad school classes to be much easier than undergrad classes. Probably because I switched from chemical engineering to environmental engineering (which should probably be put into chemical engineering, but is stuck with civil due to wastewater treatment legacy), so I ended up in classes where nobody else knew any chemistry. At all.

In short: IT DEPENDS.

I thought CCD stood for Confident College Douchebags. I am sitting next to a bunch right now. Going on and on regurgitating other people's opinions and causes. They are crying about the oil spill right now, as though it personally affects them. Whine whine whine. God I hate them.

I don't understand why other people are not allowed to care about certain issues just because you don't care for anything that doesn't "personally affect you" (which just happens to be the definition of selfish). Even though this is really cliched, you might as well replace every environmental issue you hate with "Holocaust" as it fits every criterion you have for Things None of Us Should Care About.

I graduated from UMD a week ago. So glad I'm done with that bullshit. And all of your points are true....especially the women ones, lol.

I took mechanical engineering and worked a job 30 hrs a week. I skipped sleep a lot, not really because of the work load, but mostly I am just a lazy procrastinator, and if I know I have 8 hours before a morning exam, it means I can dick off for 3 more hours.

**** amphetamines, olanzapines is where all the cool kids are at!

Of course, olanzapines aren't the greatest when studying since they're designed to prevent you from being able to maintain a train of thought.

I think it has something to do with having a social life ;)

Great post by the way Danimal, I enjoyed that read a lot.

I finally read this thread and still do not know what a College Confidence Guy is.

sadface

I finally read this thread and still do not know what a College Confidence Guy is.

sadface

Neither do I.

What I do know however, is that Australia and the people living in it are crazeh!

What fun is life without stereotyping and generalizing?:p

Yeah I guess it's pretty fun, until Danimal realises you called him crazy and breaks your legs and your fingers and then kills you dead good and proper.

Yeah I guess it's pretty fun, until Danimal realises you called him crazy and breaks your legs and your fingers and then kills you dead good and proper.

Hey, I've been waiting for someone to do that to me all my mother****ing life!

So long as he doesn't rip my suit!

4 Talk to your Educators:: You, or some other generous governmental or charitable organization is paying for you to be in school. Make ****ing use of this time, you only get it once. Get to know your educators, that's half the fight. Talk to a professor once or twice after lecture. Stop by their office for a chat. Even if you ****ing hate them, pay them a visit and see who they really are, so they may see who you really are. This is more valuable than any of the above points--quote it for those who've inevitably stopped to read only the troll replies.

HAHA yes!!! After we got to know one of our lectures on a camp he ended up drinking with us... then halfway through the night he pulled out this song

It was on the good ship Venus
By Christ you should've seen us
The figurehead was a whore in bed
And a masturbating penis.

The Captain of this sucker
He was a dirty bugger
He wasn't fit to shovel shit
From one place to another.

Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
Friggin' in the riggin'
'cause there was **** all else to do.