Votes: 4 2.6%
  • A Little!

Votes: 28 18.3%
  • No!

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • I Have Not Played It Yet!

Votes: 7 4.6%

• Total voters
The game is the best fps so far, but I still think it could have been better (and with little effort too), so I have to say "a little".

.bog.

My only real dissappointment is with the technical aspects (Sound stuttering, Steam registration, general bugs etc.).

In terms of game content, there are a couple of minor quibbles, but generally I was satisfied with the game. My jaw dropped at how good the atmosphere was in some of the levels.

Biggest dissapointments are as follows.

- I think the story could have been explained a little more. It doesnt require big speeches or anything, just some more notes in Kleiners/Vances lab or something, or some banter between squad members that fleshes out some of the details.

- The lack of ability to 'interact' with characters like Barney and Alyx. In Half Life 1, I liked being able to hit the 'use' key and wrangle a comment out of Barney (Roger that lets run like hell!), it made him feel alive. In HL2 though, Barney just stares at you with a blank face waiting for the next bit of scripted dialogue.

- The nagging sense that some stuff had been left out. Playing HL2 is like watching the original version of Aliens. Its pretty kick-ass, but it feels like a Special Edition could make it even more awesome.

- Occasionally feels a little too scripted at times. Sometimes its good to let the gameplay breathe a little.

Other than that though the game was pretty sweet. There were lots of great moments throughout the game that I'll never forget. (The ride through the citadel, the first encounter with Barney etc.)

My absolute favourite thing in Half Life 2 though is the way it'll go from a loud action sequence to a quiet intimate moment.
Like with the airboat chase, one moment there'll be lots of noise and commotion as you're speeding along being chased by helicopters, but shortly after they're destroyed, you'll find yourself snooping around the entrance to Black Mesa east and the game is dripping with moody atmosphere. The transition of a day as it goes into sunset and then night-time gives it another edge, and the general richness of the levels is something that impressed me greatly.

Back