Aren't you glad....

hey now! that tf2 screenshot was great back in the days. back when those textures, sounds, and models looked high quality ;p

The look was fine back then. But nowadays that theme is done to death. So I'm glad they appropriately changed it.

I guess you gentlemen are correct.....for what the were back then, the graphics were ok....its just the redudent (sp?) style of the images that made me really glad of the interesting direction they're taking TF2 now

I'm certainly gald, and hated the army look TF2 had back then. TFC was always about character and style over realism, at least to me, and this new pic had more character and charm than I could want.

I'm just hoping Valve don't add vehicles and turn it into another bf clone.

Man, first off, to address "CS clone" and "BF clone," TF2 was CS before Cliffe and Gooseman even thought up Counter-Strike. The aiming reticule, accuracy changes based on movement, firing in bursts for better accuracy...that was all planned for TF2 in 1998. BF1942 came out in 2002. Clone? Hardly.

Secondly, TFC was never supposed to exist in the first place. Don't get me wrong because TFC's the love of my life, but if TF2 hadn't been so ambitious you all would've been playing that instead of TFC. It's not a clone of anything. That's the real TF2. But if it had happened the way Valve wanted it to happen originally, nobody could say "that's not what TF is about," because it would have been. It would've probably been the dominant multiplayer game too, completely invalidating the need for a CS or Battlefield.

Realism was never what the original Team Fortress was about on the Quake engine though. What would have been the point in porting TF over to the Half-Life engine and then changing it from a crazy fast-paced action game that played heavily on the team mechanic to a semi-realistic squad game that tried to mimic real-life warfare?

TFC may have been in-development than before CS but if Team Fortress for Half-Life had tried to be realistic it would have lost some of its charm imo, given how Counter-Strike would probably have been released anyway. TFC always provided a good alternative to CS.

It did, but the point is that that's not how the evolution of Team Fortress was supposed to go. That's the whole reason they called it "Classic," because the gameplay was similar to TF.

I have no idea what the point would've been in changing TF to TF2, why Valve originally intended it that way. Had it happened that way we would've lost out on TFC, which would've been a shame. It would've been a damn shame for me personally because without TFC I don't think I would've gotten into PC multiplayer gaming.

The only reason I bring up Valve's original plan is because I hate hearing the word "clone" and "TF2" in the same sentence. It's like, when they first talked about the new TF2 on its own engine, everyone was saying it sounded like a clone of CS. I was always like, "Argh!" every time I heard that, because people don't even know what the hell they're talking about.

Man, first off, to address "CS clone" and "BF clone," TF2 was CS before Cliffe and Gooseman even thought up Counter-Strike. The aiming reticule, accuracy changes based on movement, firing in bursts for better accuracy...that was all planned for TF2 in 1998. BF1942 came out in 2002. Clone? Hardly.

Secondly, TFC was never supposed to exist in the first place. Don't get me wrong because TFC's the love of my life, but if TF2 hadn't been so ambitious you all would've been playing that instead of TFC. It's not a clone of anything. That's the real TF2. But if it had happened the way Valve wanted it to happen originally, nobody could say "that's not what TF is about," because it would have been. It would've probably been the dominant multiplayer game too, completely invalidating the need for a CS or Battlefield.
While you would be right, but the fact is TF2 wouldn't be released until after BF2 and thus while all the ideas were original it simply wouldn't be the first game to get out their first.

Yeah, that's the problem. I think that was probably one of the reasons the game's design was changed. I e-mailed Gabe about it a few days ago so I should hopefully be getting a definite response on that.

It's a shame, I think. You delay releasing a game and then someone comes out with it before you, with all your ideas. I don't want to assume and say it was done intentionally, but it's still gotta be a blow to Valve.

Welp, it's good news for everyone who likes the new TF2 (which appears to be almost everyone on the forum but me). :) Although, the goddamned thing's starting to grow on me, I think...

Back