Assistance wanted! (C&C3 related)

Evo

Tank
Reaction score
Right, i want to make a new fan-site for C&C 3: Tiberium Wars.

With it just being announced, this is a perfect time to get one started!

However, i need help. I don't have the first clue about setting up a site and forum, so i'm appealing to my comrades here at halflife2.net for help. Join me in creating THE BEST C&C 3 fan site possible!

(This ain't advertising per se is it?)

you could see if Jangle could lend you a hand, since he knows what hes doing ;)

If you dont have a clue about making sites then i seriously doubt it will be the best C&C site ever...

gain some experiance so you know what your dealing with first. Good luck!

how about instead of telling him it's going to lose we help instead

i can help you out with any forum client in existance, i've used vbulletin, phpbb, punbb, ipb, smf, etc all extensively, mostly as admin or super moderator at least.

I'm fine with the admining of a site (well basic level SMF) but it's all the domain crap that i would want help with.

I'm sure several of us C&C fans here could pull together to get it working!

I would help but all i know is being a Moderator. If your looking for any send me a pm :)

Evo said:
Right, i want to make a new fan-site for C&C 3: Tiberium Wars.

With it just being announced, this is a perfect time to get one started!

However, i need help. I don't have the first clue about setting up a site and forum, so i'm appealing to my comrades here at halflife2.net for help. Join me in creating THE BEST C&C 3 fan site possible!

(This ain't advertising per se is it?)

I don't consider voluntary work to be advertisement, because nobody would be financially gaining from the project

Righty. I have gone with Lycos and registered the domain

www.cncnation.net

Good price and seems to have the right features (MySQL database included!)

Will let ya'll know when got it going

Yeah, will be needing probably two content writers.

I'm thinking overview of the three C&C Universes, Tiberium, Red Alert and General's

When i get it set up with a forum, we can discuss details properly then.

I'm told to wait one or two days to get the domain registered and the package sorted

buy a domain/hosting [with enough bandwidth, probably look for around 100gb as a happy medium].

hire designer, coder & buy forum software (ipb or vb).

so did you get hosting with your domain (i'm assuming you did because of the mention of mysql db's), if so, how much space, bandwidth, php support ? how many mysql db's, cp, ftp support and so on . .

i'm going to design a mock up of a c & c [3] site as i was planning on launching my own after i finish with some clients (one will be done on monday, i'll be mailing off the final revisions & have a final conference on tuesday and the other 2 i have 2-3 weeks to finish).

so, what have you worked out in terms of design/cms ? keep me posted, i will definently help out;for free, being involved with c & c is enough /hugs c & c [1] dos disks .. though, i don't want to get involved in a dead end project with people who aren't as motivated or is going to die in a few weeks/months, but you seem to be okay. ^________^

also, i think it might be better to start off small [just focus on #3] as there are more then enough sites for the past c & c games and it will just put extra [unneeded and easily avoided] strain/time use.

I'm afraid that I don't know shit about forums (from the other side atleast o_0) but I'll defenatly join ^_^

i'll join ya Evo! let me know when it's up and running, i want to be the first member :E

Kamikazie said:
i'll join ya Evo! let me know when it's up and running, i want to be the first member :E
NO! I SHALL BE THE FIRST!

Yeah, the stuff on previous C&C's is just background info.

The package i got: http://webhosting.lycos.co.uk/expert/advanced/

Will be able to upgrade i think if needed

Initial thoughts are to start with a C&C logo photoshop pic or whatever that sends you to the forum. Here we exchange ideas etc. About what the main site should look like.

If possible i would straight away go for a pretty basic design. Similar to the hl2.net main page really. Main banner at the top. News/articles/features down the middle and links et al in columns on the sides.

Digi is hopefully gonna hook me up with a coder which should be cool.
Anyone know any designers? You one destrukt?
Forum software, probs go with SMF, it's the one i know best

What you think about working together on this one destrukt? I have the infrastructure on the way, but it's that stuff i'll need help with now. No point setting up rival sites when we can work together!

:D

Cheers for the support guys. PM me or MSN me [email protected] if you wana talk more :p

<3

lol, first member shall get teh magic item: my <3 :p

Got an idea of those i want as Site Admins and mods.
Content writers, not too sure, post here or get in touch would ya :)

Im interested in being a site admin. Give me a pm if your interested.

Calm down! Haven't got it running yet mate! :p

Duly noted name though : )

Evo said:
Calm down! Haven't got it running yet mate! :p

Duly noted name though : )

Haha :cheese:

So happy C&C 3 is coming oh man. ;(

I know dude!

Something i've been waiting for ever since i realised Generals wasn't goin to carry on Red Alert or Tiberium time lines.

I just wana give something back to the community and make a site for it : )

Evo said:
I know dude!

Something i've been waiting for ever since i realised Generals wasn't goin to carry on Red Alert or Tiberium time lines.

I just wana give something back to the community and make a site for it : )

rgr. Very cool that your putting the effort and work into this. :smoking:

Raziel-Jcd said:
rgr. Very cool that your putting the effort and work into this. :smoking:

Thankyou my man :smoking:

Just want to be able to start working on the site now!

Welcome , your all-in-one+ package is being created.
This can take up to two days.

Is annoying me already D:

Evo said:
Thankyou my man :smoking:

Just want to be able to start working on the site now!

Is annoying me already D:

Haha! :LOL: Oh man do i love those emails. ;)

Raziel-Jcd said:
Haha! :LOL: Oh man do i love those emails. ;)

Lol, that ain't an e-mail! That's what the site control panel says at Lycos D:

Ok, lil update here for ya on concept for main page :D

Shouldn't reveal it now, but this is really cool (and i want some feedback!)

*snip*

Next post down

Latest update before i head off to sleep

cncnlayout41xs.jpg

Digi <3

If all works out i may be able to start work on the site proper tomorow! :bounce:

that package should be fine.

yup, i design & am rather good i would say. ;D

i see you've already started working on, i'll start on mine too but i'm a bit busy so give me a day or 2 & then we can compare.

i've never used smf before, so i'm not sure about the skinning process works but it can't be much different to wordpress, cute, drupal & the other ton .. or, do you know how to code a smf theme ?

added you to msn, my email is the myheadphon.. one.

edit: quickly did something;
cn-index-a03.jpg

yup, there is a double menu (below banner [we'll call it a] & left of content [and this one b]) but i may move the login area & search from the header down to a, and move that one to b & i'll put something else in the header.

i can code well [x/html + css] but i might not have the time to do the whole thing and/or debug it, so if you can find a good coder, that would be good.

edit: missed the part about digi [possibly] finding you a coder.

So you gonna be goin ahead with your own, or wana work together on it?

I must say i prefer Digi's menu bars, have more of a C&C theme to them.

Your banner looks nice, though i like Digi's logo more than your design.

Coder seems the main issue atm, Digi's mate will only come on board if we have a good design, but i would prefer someone i knew before (like you)

Am looking for what help i can get from my clan mates as well. Will ask the site owner about SMF themes et al

Hope Lycos can give me control today...don't wana have to wait for tomorow D:

Right, got some basic Paint made layout ideas for the other pages im gonna have. If ya want a look, PM me guys

Er...what by what would be a proper banner size?

Imagine if the hl2.net one was one complete banner, instead of two images with a gap in between D:

well, the other one posted certainly is more 'game like' it screams bad 2000 trends and over used filters / tutorials. /sarcasm :p

i believe mine is more functional, but it depends on who you want to target, i mean, hl2.net doesn't really have much of hl2 actually in the design, yet it's absoluetely fine .. i don't feel you need to actually try and make it too game like.

so, i want to work together and/or choose someones, but i can be very picky. :)

i'll have time to work on it today [wed] so i'll have another revision up before i go out tonight, and if you've worked on something, post it here or pm it to me, or get on messenger. :p

Yeah, it's the debate between sticking with the game style, or goin for functionality...

Digi's latest:

cncnlayout63yz.jpg

Think any chance of combining them both? (im on MSN right now! get on it yourself!)

Evo said:
Yeah, it's the debate between sticking with the game style, or goin for functionality...

Digi's latest:

cncnlayout63yz.jpg

Think any chance of combining them both? (im on MSN right now! get on it yourself!)

Looking good looking good :E

Here, I know the text is rubbish but maybe someone can help with that. Or I could send someone the original PDS file and they could add it themselves.
cncbanner3mg.jpg

Also, in 2 halves so you can divide it up like the HL2.net banner.
cncbannernod9gj.jpg
cncbannergdi5xn.jpg

Back