Athlon64 and athlon64fx-51 reviews (big list)

Athlon FX? what the hell is that?

edit: NM, I did a quick search and found out..

A budget version of the barton huh?
My only question is.. why? its cheap as hell already.

Originally posted by endorphin
Athlon FX? what the hell is that?

edit: NM, I did a quick search and found out..

A budget version of the barton huh?
My only question is.. why? its cheap as hell already.

uh no its not a budget version of the barton, its amd 64bit cpu, there will be 2 versions of it, the fx is one of them. it even beats out the highest p4's.

NO... Teh fx is not the 64bit chip. THere's 3 (codenames) for those. Athens,Diego.... and the last one i cant think of right now. The fx are budget chips. Kinda like their new Durons. So your wrong there. Srry

The Athlon FX reportedly is using the company's "Thorton" core, a scaled-down version of Athlon XP's current Barton core that uses 256K of L2 cache instead of 512K.
Linky

Dont take this the wrong way. But if your going to say something..about sometihng. HAve a link or some evdience. Instead of just shooting out what you think is right. To many ppl read these boards.. ANd not half of them give a shait about what you say. (why im still a headcrab) :)
Just try and back up what you say. Then you dont have to tell everyone that you have the biggest internet cawk.

On a lighter note...
Heres a benchmark for the Athlon64
linky
The Xtreme overclockers @ Tbreak.com did it again, scoring 26,336 in 3Dmark2001 with an Overclocked Athlon64 and smashing all overclocked P4 … It's currently the highest in 3dmark2001 all over the world… login to ORB and check for yourself…

The system is cooled by two modded Prometia super coolers, for the CPU and GPU…

gg's

http://www.aceshardware.com/#75000425
AMD athlon 64 3200/64 FX51/3200+(barton) vs Intels P4 EE 3.2ghz/EE 3.4ghz/3.2ghzC.
They benchmark everything from Age of Mythology to Battlefield 1942.
AMDs chips are already available (Athlon 64 3200+ ~$400 USD) yet Intels P4 EE chips won't be available (if at all) until a month or more from now. P4 EE (Xeon 2M L3 cache rebranded) @ ~<$700 is Intels temporary solution until Prescott comes (launch date Dec 3rd).

BTW, heres aceshardware.com's Prometeia attempt.
2.8ghz from the Athlon 64 FX 51.
http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000266

THose are not the Athlons that everyone has been waiting for. Well not the desktop version codename (Diego) and the Workstation/server version Athens. Those are in fact Athlons64's based on the Operton chips. (.13 nano). What im talking about is the (.90 nano's) That were said to be relesed around 2Q 04. Thats when we'll see longhorn and xp64 for an os.

THose are some nice benchmarks. Its still running those games in 32bit though. This is just another AMD PR to get people thinking athlon before the winter time comes around. I guess they are calling these desktop chips because of the L2 cache.. but "not" cause of the memory speeds.
Here's a quote
One thing that could justify the rather high system cost of an Athlon 64 FX based PC is the extra memory space and performance in Windows 64. Windows 64 is not ready yet, though. NVIDIA OpenGL Drivers, for example, do not seem to support hardware acceleration and few applications have been ported so far as the OS in a beta phase. The future of AMD64 is a bit murky: many companies want to support the Opteron and Athlon 64 as a 32 bit chip, but have "a wait and see attitude" when it comes to porting their applications to 64-bit.
Thats what it boils down too

Originally posted by bx|ch3f_0z
THose are not the Athlons that everyone has been waiting for. Well not the desktop version codename (Diego) and the Workstation/server version Athens. Those are in fact Athlons64's based on the Operton chips. (.13 nano). What im talking about is the (.90 nano's) That were said to be relesed around 2Q 04. Thats when we'll see longhorn and xp64 for an os.
Eh?

All Athlon 64s are based off the Opteron...just like p4 are based off Xeons. The sockets will be different later on and im guessing thats what you are refering to. But that is only to keep them apart and was just decided late.
Thats how it works. Just like the XPs were just like MPs...and you could even mod XPs to work on SMP motherboards.

But yes, I personally am waiting for the Diego.

its totally not worth buying yet, unless you want to increase your e-penis by being able to say you got one
reasons:
VERY high price
crap motherboards
newer 64 bit ones are coming out in Q1 2004 that will have more features (un buffered ram, ect)
no 64 bit OS until 2004

but they are looking good, and these will be the future and whatnot. Its good to know and they will be worth it in the future

lol bunch off clueless people here.
athlon fx budget chips lol! The new Athlon 64 bit FX is the most expensive AMD chip bar the Opterons.
All the new 64 bit CPU's by AMD are variations on the new Hammer core. The internet is full of reviews right now, check out extremetech.com and anandtech.com. Also tomshardware.com but they're a bit pro intel for my tastes.

I don't want to offend anyone by the word 'clueless' there's simply a lot of posts here that are factually wrong.

Originally posted by Steven Q Urkle
its totally not worth buying yet, unless you want to increase your e-penis by being able to say you got one
reasons:
VERY high price
crap motherboards
newer 64 bit ones are coming out in Q1 2004 that will have more features (un buffered ram, ect)
no 64 bit OS until 2004

but they are looking good, and these will be the future and whatnot. Its good to know and they will be worth it in the future

Good point but what if I had to buy a new system within the next month? would it be worth it to by an athlon 64? and if so which version the 754 pin version or the 920 pin FX version?

my opinion is that its not worth it, just get a XP or a p4c

the 64 if the better one for the home user if you really wanted one.

Originally posted by Incitatus
lol bunch off clueless people here.
athlon fx budget chips lol! The new Athlon 64 bit FX is the most expensive AMD chip bar the Opterons.
All the new 64 bit CPU's by AMD are variations on the new Hammer core. The internet is full of reviews right now, check out extremetech.com and anandtech.com. Also tomshardware.com but they're a bit pro intel for my tastes.

I don't want to offend anyone by the word 'clueless' there's simply a lot of posts here that are factually wrong.

Well, there was an Athlon FX mentioned...just not AMD64 series but rather off the barton cores with half the L2 cache I believe. Ive never seen one and i doubt anyone will, just like the new duron cores. More for other markets/countries. The US will never see them. But they were going to be made as budget chips.

I personally liked Aceshardware's review the best. They benchmarked just about everything and well done too.
Im really starting not to like THG though.

If I had to buy a new computer right now from scratch and wanted to play HL2 and this PC was going to last me for awhile...I would get a AMD64 of some kind rather than an Athlon XP or P4. Option of 64bit in the future, runs cool, inovative design (intergrated mem controler/hypertransport/all the same instruction sets a P4 has plus 3dnow). Its also just a great gaming chip and they actually beat the p4's memory bandwidth. I mean if 417$ for an Athlon 64 3200+ single channel CPU is the HIGH price when it first comes out...I wonder what it will lower to and that sucker can clock easy even on air.
Too bad I dont need a new CPU now and im going to wait til Athlon on the San Diego core comes out. ;)
.09u, dual channel memory,pci express,sata,ddr2...mmm goodness.

I just read that there is to be an Athlon 64 3000+ at 1.8ghz too. If that price is low...I bet lot of people would buy that sucker right now.

Originally posted by Asus
Well, there was an Athlon FX mentioned...just not AMD64 series but rather off the barton cores with half the L2 cache I believe. Ive never seen one and i doubt anyone will, just like the new duron cores. More for other markets/countries. The US will never see them. But they were going to be made as budget chips.

I personally liked Aceshardware's review the best. They benchmarked just about everything and well done too.
Im really starting not to like THG though.

If I had to buy a new computer right now from scratch and wanted to play HL2 and this PC was going to last me for awhile...I would get a AMD64 of some kind rather than an Athlon XP or P4. Option of 64bit in the future, runs cool, inovative design (intergrated mem controler/hypertransport/all the same instruction sets a P4 has plus 3dnow). Its also just a great gaming chip and they actually beat the p4's memory bandwidth. I mean if 417$ for an Athlon 64 3200+ single channel CPU is the HIGH price when it first comes out...I wonder what it will lower to and that sucker can clock easy even on air.
Too bad I dont need a new CPU now and im going to wait til Athlon on the San Diego core comes out. ;)
.09u, dual channel memory,pci express,sata,ddr2...mmm goodness.

lots of people dislike THG, heh, check my post up the page for a bigass list of athlon64 reviews, for some reason my post got merged with this post but it kept the title of my post, putting my actual content on the second/third page, heh.

DAMN!!!! i never knew that the 3200+ could outperform a P4 at 3.2 GHZ...... wait this is about the AMD 64....... ya... it's fast....?

anyone buy their Athlon 64 yet?

Just saw on newegg.com for $455, is it worth it?

I'll be upgrading to an Athlon 64 very shortly.

it's not worth it at the moment.

i'll be waiting for the second wave of athlon64 cpu's

Alienware already has it in their PCs.
I know a guy whos getting it from there. hah 3100$ too, ouch.

The real question is, has anyone bought the FX yet. I havn't seen any computers useing the FX 51 on aquamark yet.

Just though you guys would like to see some OCed benchmarks a day after all the big reviews.

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000268

He shows us how an Athlon 64 FX-55 (2.6 GHz) and an Athlon 64 FX-53 (2.4 GHz) performs using AIR to OC. Yet he uses a nVENTIV Mach II to get it up to an 2.8 GHz. Thats massive considering how well the normal Athlon 64 FX 51 performs at only 2.2ghz.

I am not going to upgrade to the athlon 64 untill january/march 2004 when the 4300+ is out

That guy whos getting the Alienware @ 3100$ is getting the FX 51 hah :D
Athlon 64 on the San Diego core all the way!

I'm gonna hold-off and probably get it next year, I don't really need to upgrade at the moment.

Back