Audio Article: "A Gamer on the Gaming Industry" by Emperor

R

RTFMy

A great opinion about the gaming industry, and companies like EA, Activision, or Blizzard.

So I'm gonna start right here. I'm not going to buy another console system, unless something changes with the way games are made. And I see games that are no regurgetated pieces of garbage of previous games from other systems from years in the past. I'm not gonna buy an XBOX 2, i'm not gonna buy a Nintendo anything. I'm not going to buy another Blizzard title, i'm not going to buy another Creative Assembly title, i'm gonna buy another Activision title. I'm not going to buy any of these games until those companies PROVE to me that as a consumer, that they have MY interesests at heart, and NOT my wallet.

Download the audio and listen to it here : http://www.1greborn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5108

Gonna listen to it, but if I view that quote, it's retarded tbh.

Name one commericial industry that cares about the consumer when it doesn't make them money. It's a VERY naive view of the industry so far into the audio file. Can't say I agree with him on the Blizzard view so far.

7 minutes into the audio it sounds like "oh I'm a little elitist and I can't handle the fact that the industry becomes more mainstream"...

Im going to listen to this write away because im always interested in peoples opinions.

blackeye said:
Im going to listen to this write away because im always interested in peoples opinions.

And we are oh so interested in yours. ;)

He just kind of randomly moans about some games. It's funny he mentions Halo 2 being Halo 1 but with better graphics, but he says nothing about WC3 being SC in new clothes.

StardogChampion said:
He just kind of randomly moans about some games. It's funny he mentions Halo 2 being Halo 1 but with better graphics, but he says nothing about WC3 being SC in new clothes.

WC3 is so much different than SC, what the hell are you talking about.

RTFMy said:
Uhmm.. Warcraft 3? World of Warcraft? where have you been buddy.
What the hell are wrong with those two games? They are some of the best Ive played int he last couple years. His opinion has no bearing on mine, hes just ranting.

Whats the big deal if you like the game? If its a good game and you enjoy it I dont see the problem unless this guy is finicky about games. Most people that go into the gaming industry make games because its what they love to do, not because its just a good way to make money. Developers are fine, its the publishers that are the problem.

I never played half life 1 so I cant coment on the half life 2 is half life 1 statement, but I can say that halo 2 is not like halo 1.

I do agree with him on some aspects of warcraft 3. Yes the ranking systems was messed up and yes their was of patch with over powered hero's. I personally cant coment on whats happening with WOW. I will be buying the game befor the end of the month so I hope to god it is fixed. I did experience a lot of down time in the beta and I hope that is not the case when I get it. When I hear that alliance outnumbers the horde 4 to 1 in some servers it turns me off from buying the game. When I first got the beta for WOW I played as an orc shaman. I loved the charachter but I hated the environments. I soon switched over to alliance and played as a paladin, warrior, priest and rogue. (rogue being my favorite and highest leveled charachter besides the shaman) I would love to play as the orc horde again if the environments where more interesting.

I was listening to this guy talk and one thing troubled me. He says that companies just release game befor they are finished because they need to beat the competition to the market. I believe this to be true for the most part but you also have to remember that games have budgets of millions of dollars now. An extra 6 months to 1 year in development can add up to be hundreds of thousands if not as much as millions of dollars, depending on the scale of the game. I dont think having a game released 6 months later is going to matter to the hardcore gamer. They will wait the extra 6 months because they know its going to be a game they will love. The average consumer want the game now. He wants to go to the store and buy it that very day. He will never notice any of the bugs, or balancing issues because he just doesnt get as heavily involved in the game as the hardcore gamer does. I remember reading that gamers vote with their wallets. Well the fact that the average gamer outnumbers the hardcore gamer many times means that the features they want in the game will be priority over anything you or I in these forums want. But then you get that vocal minority that the game companies listen to. I for one wanted to keep the sheild in CS:Source because it proved to be very fun and usefull if used properly. Many players wanted it taken out. I dont have facts or figures just a personall survey among my friends not a single person wanted to take the sheild out of the game. But why did the sheild leave? A game can be the best game ever made but you will go on the forums and you will see more posts bashing the game for its faults then praising it for its revolutionary features. Im sure my post will generate a lot of flames and I am going to discourage you guys from doing it. Im sick of hearing I pawned you you ****ing nub every second post because some person doesnt know how to take a moment to breath and convery his message in english. So please keep this thread civil because I dont remember the last time I heard a civil discussion in a gaming forum.

Edit: I have a book that talks about programming a game and they factor in the labour costs and time it takes to fix a bug and it was a couple hundred dollars per bug to a couple thousand. Factor in the fact that games have thousands of bugs it adds up to a lot of money. Im sure the developers would love to keep the game an extra 6 months to fix all the bugs but the cost would go through the roof. If the publisher wants the game out next month their isnt much the devloper can do about it.

blackeye said:
If the publisher wants the game out next month their isnt much the devloper can do about it.
My point exactly. Something needs to be done about publishers (or at least some of em). This is one thing I love about steam, it pretty much gives publishers the finger. The day devs can publish their own games will be a day in heaven.

that quote totally turned me off reading that article, and i always read these types.

not all the consoles games are money maker-crap like many games

I will not listen that article cuz sure is some depressed guy that want everything perfect
but still someone can say what that article is about?

PvtRyan said:
Name one commericial industry that cares about the consumer when it doesn't make them money.

I don't know what you're refering to exactly, I'm guessing it's mainly any business. I don't know about entire industries, but I can name a company or two that will go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure the customer is happy, even if they end up losing money. I call this company: NewEgg.

I've probably spent 1,500 there in the past 2 years on different occasions. Had a Maxtor fail on me after 6 months. Just RMA'd it for a new one. Same with my RAM. One of my 512 Ballistix went bad after about 3 months of use, just RMA'd it. On both occasions, NewEgg lost money. They sent me new parts, not 'repaired' parts. They just kick ass.

BTW, this isn't meant to be an add in any way, shape, or form. Just trying to point out that such companies DO exist, though are few and far between. :smoking:

*Edit*

The Hard drive was still under warranty, but the stick was not. They still accepted it.

In the past few years I've pretty much slowed down on playing video games because everything feels the same. They release a new game or a sequel to the game and all they've added was a few features that didn't make the game any different. I look for games that are out of the ordinary and that people don't usually look at because I want something new. If they keep pumping out games the way they have been I'm probably going to end up quiting playing games.

Back