Audio looping in menu's?

LostBok

Reaction score
Just to clarify my previous thread Sound stutter - this is NOT the classic texture thrashing that people get pre-update.

As I click load / save my audio loops the previous 1 second for around 5-10 seconds.... when this happens, the CPU usage drop to almost zero.

Most irritating thing is that it didn't happen pre OS re-install :(

FireFox21, can you spot any similarities in our systems?

WinXP sp2, all latest updates - I'll "edit" apps below as I think of them.

ASUS A7N8X-E-Deluxe (and all the onboard stuff below)
drive controllers:
NVIDIA nForce2 MCP-T IDE
Silicon Image Sil 3112A SATA RAID
Realtek PHY 8801B FireWire
audio:
Realtek ALC650 (onboard "nForce")
LAN:
Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit 10/100/1000
Realtek 8201BL 10/100 (disabled)
ASUS WiFi B (disabled)

2 x 512Mb Corsair twinX (2-2-2-6)
AMD Athlon Barton 2500+ @ 10.5 x 200Mhz (3000+)
Hercules Radeon9700PRO @ stock with latest Omega drivers
74Gb 10,000rpm Raptor SATA
300Gb Sabre SATA
2 x 200Gb WDJB's IDE
2 x Maxtor 250Gb Firewire400
50x Lite-On CDRW
winTV PCI (rev1.0)
Pioneer 16x dual DVD+-RW
20" TFT NEC2080UX+
18" TFT NEC 1880SX
Logitech cordless desktop MX and MX700 mouse (latest drivers)

Apps:
McAfee VirusScan 7.1 Enterprise
Steam
Office2003 Pro (sp?)

Ad-Aware Plus SE
Ad-Watch Plus SE

winDVD4
winRIP
nanoDVR
Pinnacle myMP3 Pro
VLC - VideoLan

Nero 6.6

eMule
Net/FTP Trasnport
WSFTP Pro

Diskeeper Pro 7
PartitionMagic Pro 7

Paint Shop Pro 6
ACDSee32 3.1

Well, it only happens to me wen I change my Video Options... I think its normal.

LostBok said:
Mine happens EVERY time I click "load" or "save"....
Hmm... that's odd... you have a fairly powerful PC. maybe ur PC is clogged by files... do you defrag ur PC often? :cool:

The weird thing is that the harddisk isn't thrashing and the CPU usage is LOW when this is happening.... and I doubt it's my memory at fault.

HL2 settings are 1024x768, all high detail except mid-reflections, mid audio (5.1) and low shadows.

Hmm... did you try lowering your resolution? anyway, we have the same kind of memory.

Yeah same for me, sometime when I enter new areas of the map it loops a bit then when I look around for a bit it stops completely. I can live that.

The game is loading off the Raptor, the only stuff on that disk is the main OS files and games on two separate partitions.

Have just run Diskeeper Pro on the drive and there is some fragmentation on both partitions - that might expalin it - I do normally "contig" each games folder as I install, but I guess the Steam re-install and re-update has screwed things up a bit.

Might as well go the whole hog and do the directory consolodation, etc (reboot time).

Laters!

Oky I've defragged everything in site and then contig'd the WHOLE of Steam..... no non-conitguous files at all!

(Problem still exists)

I doubt it's grpahics settings - I'm fine through fire-fights, etc.... only in the menu's that it falls apart!

The audio looping as you enter certain parts of a map can be got rid of with the following settings in yr autoexec.cfg:

snd_mixahead "0.7"
sv_autosave "0"
sv_forcepreload "1"
cl_forcepreload "1"
r_lod "-2"
r_fastzreject "1"

plus -heapsize "512000" in the startup parameters and setting all the autosave files to readonly.

not sure if one of these (snd_mixahead) might actually be CAUSING this prob though....

Same Prob.

I have the same "problem"
It dissapeared for a while when i reinstalled WinXP but it reappeared after a couple of weeks.
This time not as dramatic but.. Still

how many saved games do you lot have? my comp began doing this after i got a load of saved games stored, perhpas it's searching each one when you click "load"

???

I've had this prob with the menu's ever since I got the game and it's got nothing to do with graphics settings or how many saved games you have.

My system is always properly maintained and the actual stuttering during game play as more or less gone now with the updates from Steam.

The menu looping, however, still exists.

For comparison, my system is as follows:

XP
NForce 2 pro
Athlon 3000xp
1gig pc2700
9800pro 128mb

LostBok said:
Bass - any similarities in our systems?

Dont know my exact spec's but:
P4 2,4Gb, 512Mb , Asus 9999 256Mb,

The game flows like a dream except for the audiostutter in menu´s

the "number of saved games" is an interesting one!

I'll zip 'em up and try to delete a few!

v good idea.... makes sense: it scans all the TGA's and loads each sav file for the preview and game info.

Mine was 700Mb, 223 TGA files.... 447 in the folder in total.

I think LoneWolf sussed it....

it still does it.... just does the little audio loop for a second or so now rather than the 10-15 seconds it was had become.... I can live with that!

Back