Audio Problems with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
when i open my "play games" tab in steam and right click on hl2. it says the last update was in august.... is this just the news or is it game versions as well..... i don't know if i got the patch either!!! starting to annoy me a bit....

I HATE VALVE!!!!!

NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!
THIS PIECE OF SHIT FROM A PATCH DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!!
IT STUTTERS LIKE SHIT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

Ok, that was it. Tomorrow this shitgame from these ****ING programmers can say "hello" again to the shelf in my Gamesstore.

This is absolutely the ************* thing, I've ever seen in my life as Gamer!!! =/
Shame on on f***ing steam and most of all, shame on VALVE!!!!! =/

Good Bye.

tdarkjedik said:
I HATE VALVE!!!!!

NOTHING! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!!!
THIS PIECE OF SHIT FROM A PATCH DOES ABSOLUTELY NOTHING !!!!!
IT STUTTERS LIKE SHIT AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

Ok, that was it. Tomorrow this shitgame from these ****ING programmers can say "hello" again to the shelf in my Gamesstore.

This is absolutely the ************* thing, I've ever seen in my life as Gamer!!! =/
Shame on on f***ing steam and most of all, shame on VALVE!!!!! =/

Good Bye.

Good Bye.

Frankie1984 said:
when i open my "play games" tab in steam and right click on hl2. it says the last update was in august.... is this just the news or is it game versions as well..... i don't know if i got the patch either!!! starting to annoy me a bit....

Same here... I still get the stutters so I can only assume it hasn't been updated yet. This Steam stuff is really testing my nerves.

Anyway to get rid of the patch?
Can I install a clean Half-life 2 and then activate it to steam without getting this patch?

Has anyone actually _tried_ the recommendations they gave instead of relying entirely on the patch which did or did not do anything to HL2 itself.

The Dark Elf said:
Has anyone actually _tried_ the recommendations they gave instead of relying entirely on the patch which did or did not do anything to HL2 itself.
Recommendations? You mean to turn this & that down? I don't see why we should but in any case I turned everything down to low & the problem is just as bad. Before & after the 'Mat_forcetextureintohardware 1' command (Or the 'Patch' in other words).

(BTW. Nice avatar. I asked this in another thread but not sure of you replied. It's Jordan Capri isn't it? well .......... She's more relaible than HL2!)

The "mat_forcetextureintohardware" command is not reckognized in my game. I'm assuming this means (for some reason or another) that my game did not update. I'm both saddened and happy (because I know why I'm still stuttering) by this.

As for their "reccomendations"... hmmm, this is stuff we've been trying from the get-go before the patch was released. It didn't help me then and it won't help me now.

As for the turning down or off graphics options..... I payed a lot of money for this game, wy should i have to play it with the graphics lowered!?!? the game experience is good and all... but i want my graphics!!!

Update: Apparently I DO have the patch (checked the version) and my stuttering SEEMS to be worse. I started the game over (since I uninstalled and reinstalled earlier) and the parts where I didn't get stuttering have heavy stuttering and fps drops.... I'm going to go eat some turkey :-/

I turned off the mat_force... (to 0) and finally used the command to force preloading... my stuttering is worse than ever. I guess I should... I don't know... cry myself to sleep?

i turn soundcard down to basic acceleration and texture down to low in advanced option in HL2 and now I have no stutter stutter. So my ati 9700 pro must be crap crap

Hi all,

I downloaded the patch and it's stopped the vast majority of stuttering (although I still get it when the level loads). I don't know if it completely down to the patch, as I also did the following over the past couple of days, and this was the first time I had tried HL2 since doing them:

- Installed and then reinstalled XP SP2

- Removed the Omega nVidia drivers, rebooted, installed official 67.02 betas and rebooted.

- Deleted the config and autoexec files from the hl2 directory

- I had 1.5 gigs of RAM. This was with 2 x 512 Corsair XMS sticks in Dual DDR config, and 1 x 512 TwinMOS stick. I removed the TwinMOS RAM stick, leaving just the 1 gig of Dual DDR Corsair XMS memory

- Changed the RAM timing from 'optimal' to 'Aggressive' in BIOS

Hope this helps to pinpoint the error and helps some people. I also didn't get any crashes......

Has anyone experiencing these problems with the patch actually informed Valve about it? This might well have been an issue that should have been addressed during testing, but at least they're trying to come up with solutions to the problem.

Frankie1984 said:
Gamespot says a patch probably will come next week (?)... we can only hope....
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/24/news_6113999.html
gamespot says this:

"The fix was supposed to be released this week, but the series of bugs causing the problem are proving elusive to stamp out, so expect it next week."

so, it looks as if gamespot's article is wrong because there certainly was a patch this week. the article was posted two hours after the patch was released, so i don't know why they said there wouldn't be one. this is getting more and more confusing with every minute i spend reading about it... :rolling:

HamsterErik said:
Anyway to get rid of the patch?
Can I install a clean Half-life 2 and then activate it to steam without getting this patch?

I have my doubts.

HL2 was okay for me before this patch, now everything is much worse.

However, something I've found out is that if you use Windows XP System Restore and choose a date a couple of days before the patch, what appears to be the patch downloads itself again when you start Steam.

It might be the patch, it might not be the patch. But it's about the same size.

Which is deeply weird if it is the patch and a bit alarming. I've got to wonder what the hell Steam was fiddling with that System Restore erases it. My harddrive was behaving weirdly and functioning very slowly after the patch and goes back to normal after a System Restore.

So what you might be able to do is use System Restore on XP like this if it really does erase the patch, then always run HL2 in offline mode and avoid downloading whatever Steam wants to download.

But I have my doubts that this is what is happening and that System Restore erases everything, but it's worth a go.

I'm going to try it later myself.

Tried that exact suggestion a few hours before.

Great thing is Steam refuses to start in offline mode from a system restore until it's been 'updated' online.

Which means, like it or not, Steam is going to update.

Fantastic, huh? Especially when the patch makes the game far more unplayable.

32839.gif

There's a simple way to turn it off - disable the newly added cvar. All the patch did was add a new cvar The mat_forcetextureintohardware 1. Set it to 0 to change it back to normal. Works for me. Before, I got stuttering, but the game ran fine when it wasn't stuttering (40-60 FPS). After the patch, not only does the stuttering get worse, my overall FPS drops to around 20-30. Changing back to 0 turned it off again.

TRY disable hardware accelertion on your sound. it worked for me. and now the game runs great.

TEDR said:
TRY disable hardware accelertion on your sound. it worked for me. and now the game runs great.

I'm so ****en tired of hearing shit like that!!

IT DOESNT WORK, READ THE ****EN THREAD

SpeedDemon said:
I think that from reading this quote below, and that after seeing all of the people with Sound Blaster Audigy's, Live's and SoundStorms we can conclude that the quality of the SoundCard makes no difference in whether or not the game is going to stutter while loading sounds. I think that there is an actual problem with the game in the way that it loads the sound files, and it has nothing to do with system specs. Although I would be curious to have someone with 2GB of RAM say if they are having the same problem.

I think you're right. I'm currently running an M-Audio Delta 44 soundcard which is a high end card used for recording audio and I'm still having the stuttering problem.

slammer said:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

You just made my evening.

Baby don't go, baby don't go, baby don't go.

Talk to me, tell me, where you were (late last night),
You told me, with yer friends, hanging out (late last night),
You lying, cuz you stuttering, now where were you (late last night),
Stop lying to me, cuz you're ticking me off, see you're ticking me off, oh girl.

I can tell you're lying, because when you're replying,
Stutter, stutters, stutter, stutters.

I called you, on your cell phone, no answer (tell me why).
So I paged you, on your two-way, still no response (tell me why).
I took care of you, I loved you, and you played me (tell me why).
Stop lying to me about where you been,
Cuz you're ticking me off, ticking me off.

It's funny to me, when you lie to me,
You start stuttering, tripping, I caught you, baby.
It's funny to me, when you lie to me,
You start stuttering, tripping, I caught you, baby.

I smell cologne, damn it's strong,
How'd you get it on (I'm not done).
He messed up your hair, makeup's everywhere.
Oh yeah, (I'm not done).
Girl you're crying cuz you're lying to my face (I'm not done).
Stop lying, about sentiment, Cuz you're ticking me off.

Why did I? You should know by now.
I gotta know baby, I just can't keep going on girl.
Oh, get on baby, no love from you.
I hear you lying, I hear you,
Stuttering, stuttering, stuttering, stuttering, stutter, stuttering.
Oh girl, you should leave me alone,
Get the hell on.

So, last night I installed the patch.

The stuttering got worse, and all the audio was now scratchy and poppy. I was very annoyed.

An hour later, I decided to run the game again. On a whim, I checked the Steam launch options--I had all those console tweaks set! I removed all of them, and reran the game. Guess what?

My stuttering problem is 95% gone, with the remaining being the occasional brief pause during an autosave or entering a large new area (I also assume the NVidia bug is affecting a few things, but I don't notice). The framerate is now much smoother. The game is completely playable now and I'm finally going to beat it.

I know it's annoying when people post "solutions" that don't work, but just to make sure anyway, check and see that you don't have any of those tweaks set. I removed them, and the patch suddenly took affect.

I completely uninstalled and deleted steam/hl2, then reinstalled with no tweaks,,,

no dice

Before the "patch?" the game stuttered just before a event. Now the game seems like its being slow all the time instead.

No matter the details, resolution etc....

Fix this now, please.

Btw, Isn´t there anyway to disable that piece of sh*t called Steam? I don´t want to disconnect my NIC everytime I´m going to play HF2 (I´m using wireless).

droid002 said:
Btw, Isn´t there anyway to disable that piece of sh*t called Steam? I don´t want to disconnect my NIC everytime I´m going to play HF2 (I´m using wireless).

So don't disconnect it. I heard a rumour that Steam has an online function too that doesn't get in the way of you playing Half Life 2.

The fix did solve some stuttering for me.., but not all

It is worse now in CS source! it seems. I never had stuttering their!

Yesterday I completelt removed steam and HL2... downloaded the "free" version of HL2.
And guess what! NO STUTTERING!!!!

WTF! more pleople tried that?

vsop, which version do you mean by the "free" version?
A version you download on steam after uninstalling or a warez version or whatever?

I have done eveything to get rid of the stutters and i'm starting to get desperate hehe

vsop said:
The fix did solve some stuttering for me.., but not all

It is worse now in CS source! it seems. I never had stuttering their!

Yesterday I completelt removed steam and HL2... downloaded the "free" version of HL2.
And guess what! NO STUTTERING!!!!

WTF! more pleople tried that?

Ahem, is that the, "free" version that I've heard works perfectly.

Spicey said:
Ahem, is that the, "free" version that I've heard works perfectly.

Yup, I bought the game..., sttt tttt uttttt errrrr.....

Got the "free" one...., and oooooaaaaahhh yeah what a game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back