Audio Problems with HL2

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you

palefire said:
A patch is on its way according to:

http://www.blep.net/hl2stutter/

Money quote:

A solution for the stuttering problem has been found and a fix is coming. I've been talking with Gary McTaggart about this today and it turns out that my texture management theory was correct. A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play. There is currently no ETA for this patch, but I will post an update as soon as I get more information.

Thanks for sharing this information. It is nice to finally get some news from somewhere about this problem that has been a royal crowbar in the arse!

Good.

Cause I've been playing HL2 on the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS!!!
And to top it all off...

I also have to play it in 800x600 mode.
Ouch... very ouch. ;(

My comp can't be THAT old can it?

P4 1.72Ghz
Windows XP
Radeon 9600XT
256 DDR memory

with specs like THAT. I should at LEAST have everything on MEDIUM-HIGH.

Good mo(u)rning folks!
Have read nearly all of the thread--this is a great place that shows that human kind still might have a chance in the future :)
I appreciate all the help and good team spirit in here, thats why i registered. my sound issues where bad, and got even worse after my first steam "upgrade/download", now it is playable. what did i do?
some of the above mentioned stuff.I did not reeinvent the light bulb:
defrag, reeinstall (took 35min with steamunlocking), deleted all my mp3codecs; no autoexec changes or hashfile changes.
for me it does make no difference fumbling with AA or AF (can set those to high levels):

only texture size seems to be important!!(play medium lev now, high level makes it stutter a lot)

system specs are Pent 2,60GHz, Radeon 9600 XT (which is in fact only a 9500pro with 8piplines and increased chip takting), 512 MB Ram.

Please help me out with the following questions:
How can i open up the console?? and
How can I show my framerate??
Would appreciate your help,
once again, grate community, would be proud to be a part of it.

Another thing that confuses me is how some folk seem not to have stuttering!! How can this be, perhaps they have 256mb of GFX ram??? Makes me want to say 'Hmmmmm'... :thumbs:

PhaTox, open the console with the ~ key. You've got to enable it in the advanced options somewhere first though. Show your fps with cl_showfps 1. All this is of course if I'm thinking straight at the moment.

palefire said:
A solution for the stuttering problem has been found and a fix is coming. I've been talking with Gary McTaggart about this today and it turns out that my texture management theory was correct. A patch will be coming for this issue that will load all of the required textures into video memory on level load, rather than doing it during game play. There is currently no ETA for this patch, but I will post an update as soon as I get more information.

Does that mean that loading times will increase drastically? I really hope they make it an option because changing levels will be a pain then and some ppl, f.e. me :D didnt had any major stuttering during gameplay, or better to say were able to fix it. Close all programs + give HL2 more memory with heapsize=no more stutters :thumbs:
Edit: Yes, even the antivirus and the lovely MSN messenger.

"Close all programs + give HL2 more memory with heapsize=no more stutters"

This isn't a fix, it's merely freeing up resources so the stuttering decreases, it's not fixed.

And in regards to heapsize, "It changes the size of the heap (memory pool), which at this point is only used for caching .mdl files in memory. It used to be more important." - Yahn.

All i'm worried about is whether it'll make the game run worse, i.e. need a better gfx card, more gfx memory, etc. I know u can't have everything, lol, but when not stutterin the game even plays well on my crusty, wrinkled, Geforce 4 Ti4200, and i only got 64mb gfx memory. I know, i know, i need a new card badly, but couldn't afford it yet and was pleased to see the game still ran really well, like 70fps.

Thoughts?

If the stuttering is caused by high spikes in the use of GFX memory then why if a large aperture is set isn't that used?? I'm going to assume that those without problems are using 256mb cards, that's the only logical explanation. Again, an issue like this is a blindingly obvious one... how did it get missed???

I'm running HL2 on my Athlon 64 3400+ Laptop. It "only" has the mr9700 (128mb) but is DX9 so I can see all the pretty stuff. I have posted in this thread before about my stutter problem also, I *DID* do the autoexec.cfg with the 4 or 5 lines in, and the -heapsize adjustment. I admit now the only time I get stuttering is with the autosave/quicksave - which is not bad, I usually wait for a short while - look around (cache the textures) and then roll out and get no stuttering (this is on levels later than the first chapter). I am running High Textures, 4xAniso, Reflect All (water), high shader - in fact - high everything except sound on medium and NO AA (too slow - bearable but nausea inducing).

Best thing is as my Laptop is a widescreen, I get to run it in 1280X800 and I was impressed valve put the widescreen support in out of the box - thumbs up for that! :)

Anyway, if I Load up HL2 like this it's fine (after a short while) and can play for hours. However If I go into the options and mess around with anything such as AA, AF, Vsync (toggling them - testing - then changing again) the Stutter proplem comes back as before. SO I have basically learned to leave it set at the above settings and it is really quite good now. I have to restart the game (ie quit and relaunch) if I do adjust any options - as it will cause the stutter to come back - that is the only thing I have found that will bring the error back.
So a patch seems to be on it's way which should be good news. The game personally has picked up nicely after the first chapter or two which were a bit pedestrian.. now I am starting to apreciated the great outdoors and it's atmosphere..

Sir_Rule said:
Good.

Cause I've been playing HL2 on the LOWEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS!!!
And to top it all off...

I also have to play it in 800x600 mode.
Ouch... very ouch. ;(

My comp can't be THAT old can it?

P4 1.72Ghz
Windows XP
Radeon 9600XT
256 DDR memory

with specs like THAT. I should at LEAST have everything on MEDIUM-HIGH.

I think the size of your RAM is the problem here. You need at least 512MB for modern games such as HL2, and 1024MB is ideal.

in answerto some of your speculations about 256mb GFX cards... im afraid its the same... were just gonna have to wait for valve to sort it ive got the following......

Athlon XP 2.8ghz
512MB Pc400 RAM
Radeon 9800 PRO 256MB 8XAGP with latest catalyst drivers
Soundblaster Live PCI.

Exact same things as you lot, entering a big room, sound about to start, new voice starting..etc..etc.

As someone mentioned earlier it seems to happen more at the start ofthe game, when scripted audio stuff is going on.

I set textures to medium and playin in 800x600 and it does it alot less, but thats not a fix, just makes it bearable.

Later in the game with loads of stuff going on (helicopters, many enemies and quick running about,lovely water effects) ive nevrnoticed any slow down, so its not a GFX problem...

im gonnajoin you all in the wait fro apatch to fix this. i even disabledmy onboard dolby 5.1 chip and installed a soundblasterlive to try and fix it.... to no avail.

On with the wait for a patch..................still waiting............still waiting..........(the game isbloody good though!!..............but im still waiting

I think there are two really interesting questions raised by this:

1. There must be SOME hardware configuration difference between the stutters and nonstutters, but there doesn't appear to be any. That's a puzzle.

2. How in the hell did this get by Valve's quality control?

Avery said:
I'm going to assume that those without problems are using 256mb cards, that's the only logical explanation. Again, an issue like this is a blindingly obvious one...

256mb 6800 gt right here (there is still an abundance of speech impediments)

palefire said:
2. How in the hell did this get by Valve's quality control?

Valve isn't gonna look good on this. Either they knew the bug was there or they clearly didn't playtest it on enough systems. Lame.

i definitely know what the stuttering in the game causes.

Its the AUTOSAVE. to see that u have to activate the console and you will recognize that everytime the game stutters it autosaves.

so you have to get an option with the patch to disable this funktion. its so simple but i bet it will work.

cu pauli

Pretty damn awful QA that's for sure. In fact I'd go as far to say that it's a shockingly pathetic effort given the time they had to get it right. It makes Valve look like a bunch of amateurs.

Ok, maybe the problem is the texture loading that causes all the stuttering, but how come the stuttering is also happenning when some NPC starts to talk?

As it has been said before, it is NOT the autosaves. I cite the level 'Follow Freeman' as evidence of this. There is much stuttering as there are a lot of sounds going on around you. The game doesn't autosave THAT much.

Sorry, but once again:
Could anybody please describe me, how I can play with/ activate the console?

@pauli : no its NOT the autosave, why should otherwise the game stutter in the G-man intro ?? and also between auto save?
if u read the last few pages the problem is the graphics that are not in the buffer...the sound stutters, because new graphic has to be loaded from scratch and the sound is "waiting" for that to be finished

autosave.jpg

Add me to the list. It happens in CS:S too.

I just changed my rig from:

A78NX-Deluxe Athlon Xp 3200
512MB Corsair CAS 2 memory PC 3200 DDR
2 - Maxtor 80GB HD - Raid
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC
Audigy 2

to:

A8V Athlon 64 3500
2 GB Corsair CAS 2 memory PC3200 DDR
2 - Raptor 74GB HD - Raid
BFG GeForce 6800GT OC
kept my Audigy 2

Both systems in CS:S sometimes have sound stuttering... have to exit the game and come back.

P.S. There isn't an auto-save in CS:S.... so there goes that theory.

Ok, enough already

I have been following this thread since the first night of the games release. I was able to get some good information from fellow posters, both headcrabs and long time forum users. Thanks!

While there are multiple problems with both audio and video "stuttering" in HL2 on all types of hardware builds and whether the install was from retail cd/dvd or from Steam one valid problem that people are having, myself included, is from the Autosave. Yes, everytime the game autosaves I get 2 to 6 seconds of audio stuttering and low frame rates. This is verified and proven. While I have been able to minimize this experience with some tips picked up here and links to other solutions found in this thread, the outright attacking of people is proof positive that this thread is over. Any and all use that this thread offered is gone and it should've been closed a day or so ago. People see the title "Audio Problems with HL2" and come in looking for help or posting the success, failure, problem description they are having. Not to be attacked for their very real and valid opinions. Go back to SA or Fark to act like that.

This thread is dead. Move on.

i don't consider "i definitely know what the stuttering in the game causes." followed by something which contains the word "autosave" a "valid" opinion.

I call that "bullshit"

edit: this thread is dead when we can spend out time playing the game and not waiting for this fix.

It's obviously not just autosaves.

I'd also like to know why, when you change resolutions or graphical details options in the menus, the sounds skip and stutter continuously while the changes are being made. In most games, no matter what sort of changes you make to in-game menus, music and sound effects continue playing smoothly and normally in the background.

It just doesn't seem polished to me.

If not for these stutters I rate the game very highly, everything runs and works as it ought to here - maybe long load times but at least no errors or crashes!!

Please keep us informed about any info regarding the patch...

Erik Johnson at Valve has just told me the fix will be out "no later than tomorrow."

rd_syringe said:
Erik Johnson at Valve has just told me the fix will be out "no later than tomorrow."

BUMP because this seems pretty damn relevant. Can you show us the e-mail, rd?

rd_syringe said:

If this is true then Valve just went back up in my estimations. Be good to play the game through again 100% without even the smallest stuttering. :)

If the patch works (and if they miraculously shave some off the loading times, maybe by using unpacked archives , then i'll add + 1 onto my rating of 8.5/10 to make 9.5/10 a bit more like it.)

i'm so afraid the patch will just be another 99-or-worse-% solution.

chewchewtrain64 said:
BUMP because this seems pretty damn relevant. Can you show us the e-mail, rd?

I made a new thread about it just so more people can see it, but here it is:

Sent: Monday, November 22, 2004 9:56 AM
To: rd_syringe
Subject: RE: Video of symptoms (vid attached)

We've found the fix for this problem. The fix will be out no later than tomorrow.

By the way, I've been in contact with Erik through the weekend as have been others I'm sure, as well as with Gary McTaggart. I think it's cool they worked through the first weekend after release on this (apparently they were fixing Steam problems up until now). All is forgiven as far as I'm concerned.

Hell, I don't even feel a need to forgive them, I love what I've played of this game just too damn much to be angry about the stuttering. I just hope the patch works, I have a lot of friends who are dying to play this at my house over the Thanksgiving weekend.

:cheers:

Originally Posted by tdarkjedik in the past...
"...it will be a great feeling in the future, when I will click in this link and read posts
from a holy **** many people: "YEEES, THE PATCH IS HERE!!! EVERYONE CAN PLAY IT NOW!"

MeanWhile said:
When? Patch? Don't be so sure, this problem is alot more complicated than alot of people seem to think, it's not an easy or magical fix waiting to be found by Valve, it's a serious problem with the way textures and sounds are streamed in addition to that I've received word from a Valve employee that it has to do with the fact that sounds and textures are often carefully timed to load at the same time.
He? What have I said??? Tomorrow, we will ROCK this game (...or it will rock us) YEAH!!!!! :thumbs:

MeanWhile said:
"Close all programs + give HL2 more memory with heapsize=no more stutters"

This isn't a fix, it's merely freeing up resources so the stuttering decreases, it's not fixed.

Hmm good point, however it decreased the stuttering for me to the point of non existence. The cause is that it is synchronized with graphics for some kind of lips animation and speeches. If the FPS drops form 80 to 30 we dont notice it, but if sound skips we do => problem

wasted said:
i don't consider "i definitely know what the stuttering in the game causes." followed by something which contains the word "autosave" a "valid" opinion.

I call that "bullshit"

edit: this thread is dead when we can spend out time playing the game and not waiting for this fix.

Listen here mate, the autosave function is the causing the game to stutter AS WELL as the sound stutter issue. Fixing the sound issue isn't enough for me as i need a fix for the autosave as well to be 100 percent happy. I played the game last night for 2 hours (lvl 2 - 6) and i had not one stutter at all at anytime, the only time the game stuttered was when the game autosaved so don't dismiss it, its there and its a god damn issue that needs a solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back