Austrian man fined for yodelling while Muslim neighbors prayed

Mr Griese was charged the "disparagement of religious symbols" - an offence usually used to prosecute for neo-Nazis who desecrate Jewish graves - and hindering religious practice.

the "disparagement of religious symbols" - an offence usually used to prosecute for neo-Nazis

"disparagement of religious symbols"

This is the main problem here, really. You can't actually judge the situation without any of the specifics that should be in the article, but unless they left out the bit about him burning a Quran and breaking every religiously relevant item in their house, the 'disparagement' is not a problem. It's the actual noise, and the fact that he was disturbing the peace, not the fact that he offended their religion, which should be competely irrelevant to the state. If you punch a priest, you should be charged with assault, not a special law for religious figures.

Anyways, admittedly I occasionally have a stick up my butt. You are allowed to quote me on that in the future, especially if I get argumentative, because frankly it's embarrassing. To myself. Half an hour after I write them, there's a 95% chance I'm facepalming myself because of... myself.

end of story :p

I can't wait until I'm old as **** so I can wobble out onto my porch with a shotgun and sip tea. Get off my lawn, damn kids.

For real. What with my already being bipolar-senile at the tender young age of 23 (ok, old to some of you kiddos), I'll probably be totally incoherent by the time I'm 40.

Or maybe I'll just decide to simplify life -- pick one side, and blindly stick to it no matter what. Y'know, like... become a Stern. Holy crap, suddenly I understand.

Anyways, admittedly I occasionally have a stick up my butt. You are allowed to quote me on that in the future, especially if I get argumentative, because frankly it's embarrassing. To myself. Half an hour after I write them, there's a 95% chance I'm facepalming myself because of... myself.

I know that feeling all too well. At least I have my custom title to remind everyone not to take most of what I say seriously.

Back