Awesome tool: Hiren's BootCD

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
So I just started a job at a PC repair place and learned of this disk. Holy shit its awesome. Its got an assload of dos programs for running diagnostics, like memtest and MHDD. Its got mini xp and mini linux for when windows wont boot or you need to clear out dem viruses. Loads of awesome stuff in it. MHDD and HDAT2 are the best though, and I wish I knew about them a long time ago when I was just assuming I had bad hard drives and was just tossing them.

Thought I'd share.

EDIT: They don't have a clear way to download it, so I'll just put the download page here for convenience. http://www.hirensbootcd.org/

I assume it works roughly the same way as the Ultimate Boot CD (unless you haven't heard of it; I think it's more popular)?

I've seen it before, though I just keep an emergency Linux zip drive loaded with just about everything imaginable.

Wow blast from the past, I remember someone giving me this when I was still using 98 or 2000 or something. Very handy, though.

Volkov Commander!
Also : Give me your job. (It's ok, I'm foreign!)

Hiren's BootCD is the most crucial PC repair tool there is. Take my advice: download this, burn it to a CD, write "Hiren's Boot CD" on it and then toss it in a corner and forget about it until your computer breaks in some way and you will be so happy to have it. It has everything you could possibly need from a boot cd... I have mostly used it myself to do stuff like run malware scrubbers without having to boot into Windows etc but there are tons of other uses for it.

I've used Bart's PE in the past. It's a Windows live CD basically.

Also, Linux.

I've seen it before, though I just keep an emergency Linux zip drive loaded with just about everything imaginable.

Hiren's has mini-linux and mini-xp on it. Its not that it does anything special really, but is a really, really handy all-in-one type of deal.

Back