Bad news for france.

West Africa. It is officially called the Cote D'avoir (or something to that effect)

And it is a very unstable area. This happens to a lot of nations, and Americans and Brits anyway should realize it isn't a problem unique to the French.

Africa. Odd that the French would be involved militarily somewhere they weren't wanted.

ShadowFox said:
West Africa. It is officially called the Cote D'avoir (or something to that effect)

And it is a very unstable area. This happens to a lot of nations, and Americans and Brits anyway should realize it isn't a problem unique to the French.
Cote d'ivoire actually. :farmer:

Hapless said:
Africa. Odd that the French would be involved militarily somewhere they weren't wanted.

I think they are there beacouse they signed some treaty that they would help their old colonies. Not sure though.

Hapless said:

no, the ivory coast has been a protectorate of france since 1842. They're independent but in 1961 they made an agreement with france to supply them with weapons and capital ...kinda like what the US was doing with saddam since the early 80's. France has had troops deployed in the Ivory coast since 2002

CptStern said:
no, the ivory coast has been a protectorate of france since 1842. They're independent but in 1961 they made an agreement with france to supply them with weapons and capital ...kinda like what the US was doing with saddam since the early 80's. France has had troops deployed in the Ivory coast since 2002

I was being facetious.

Just because france is opposed to the America invasion of Iraq doesn't mean they are peacefull hippies.

They just don't like the idea of the US controlling evrything in the world. that's all. otherwise, they're not that much different.

hasan said:
They just don't like the idea of the US controlling evrything in the world. that's all. otherwise, they're not that much different.
They also had economic interests in Iraq. I'm no France basher, but I'd be willing to bet principle wasn't their main reason for opposing the war.

hasan said:
Just because france is opposed to the America invasion of Iraq doesn't mean they are peacefull hippies.

One word: Napolean. Though besides him, French military history doesn't compare to other nations.

Nah, the gauls had Rome at it's knees once, which is impressive.

Still, anyone rebelling is screwed. If I were them, I'd lie down and wait for a French warplane to bomb my ass.

Response to question below:
The people of Gaul became the people of France

MadHatter said:
One word: Napolean. Though besides him, French military history doesn't compare to other nations.

Napolean was Corsican. The last time the French had a great military was when a Corsican was in charge. By the way, does anyone know at what point in history Gaul became France, and how that happened? I've been looking for awhile now, can't seem to find anything.

Anyway, France isn't going to lose against some militias with sticks and planks.

Hapless said:
Napolean was Corsican. The last time the French had a great military was when a Corsican was in charge. By the way, does anyone know at what point in history Gaul became France, and how that happened? I've been looking for awhile now, can't seem to find anything.

france was called gaul during the roman era, but became the Frankish Kingdom in 485 AD from which came the name France ...

now that I've answered your question maybe you can answer mine: why do americans despise the french?

I beat you shadow :E

I'd say the Gaul families of the Merovingians and the Carolingians helped lay the foundations, and once the Empire of Charlemagne was split up, it was only a matter of time until Frankish decendants formed the French culture.

that's dumb, that's like saying americans smell like ...tyranny :E

CptStern said:
that's dumb, that's like saying americans smell like ...tyranny :E
or canadians smell like whale blubber?

HAHAHAHAH :upstare: ..never seen one, although I'd like to

edit: btw the obvious choice would be cheese, le fromage!!! as in:

Havarti: ...that sounds mildly french lets call it "American Havarti"

blue cheese: hmmmmm could be spelled "blu" lets call it "red white and blue cheese"

:E

CptStern said:

edit: btw the obvious choice would be cheese, fromage! as is:

blue cheese: hmmmmm could be spelled "blu" lets call it "red white and blue cheese"

youve never seen a whale? come to seattle, and see some. or dont, you might find the tyranny opressive.

i was making an austin powers reference with "cabbage."

by the way, nice sig, thats a good quote.

gh0st said:
youve never seen a whale? come to seattle, and see some. or dont, you might find the tyranny opressive.

thanks but I'll just head to bc

gh0st said:
i was making an austin powers reference with "cabbage."

yes well that's all fine and dandy but we all know how you feel about the french: to you they're all croissant-eating-beret-wearing-american-hating-surrender-monkeys :p

CptStern said:
yes well that's all fine and dandy but we all know how you feel about the french: to you they're all croissant-eating-beret-wearing-american-hating-surrender-monkeys :p
i like the french people, i havent met many but those i have are very nice people. the french government is the words you used.

stern.. i must confess i was hoping that this thread had some news of france falling into the sea, or into a volcano or something.

gh0st said:
i like the french people, i havent met many but those i have are very nice people. the french government is the words you used.

stern.. i must confess i was hoping that this thread had some news of france falling into the sea, or into a volcano or something.

if france fell into the sea more than the just the government would die

CptStern said:

edit: btw the obvious choice would be cheese, le fromage!!! as in:

Isn't Havarti Danish? I'm just a dumb American, but a big fan of cheese. I could swear it's Danish.

cronholio said:
Isn't Havarti Danish? I'm just a dumb American, but a big fan of cheese. I could swear it's Danish.

silly american ALL cheese is american ..I was being sarcastic

CptStern said:
if france fell into the sea more than the just the government would die
yes but most importantly the government would die

gh0st said:
yes but most importantly the government would die

so you admit you hate all french, not just the government as you earlier claimed

CptStern said:
so you admit you hate all french, not just the government as you earlier claimed
i admit i hate the french government. i lied when i said i liked the french people. i have nothing against them, i just dont like them as a nationality.

gh0st said:
i admit i hate the french government. i lied when i said i liked the french people. i have nothing against them, i just dont like them as a nationality.

which makes you a bigot

hate doesnt alwyas go to race, do you u know how to read?

Wow you guys are defending hatred for an entire country of people for no good reason other than "because they are french"...

And then you guys are the same ones who turn around and cry whenever someone bashes americans... Double Standard.

CptStern said:
france was called gaul during the roman era, but became the Frankish Kingdom in 485 AD from which came the name France ...

now that I've answered your question maybe you can answer mine: why do americans despise the french?

I beat you shadow :E

I'm a yank and I love the French. France is a great place and Parisians are awsome. Instead of saying, "Why do Americans despise the French?", next time say, "Why do some Americans despise the French?" Sorry, don't mean to nit-pick, but I think the anti-French crap and the boycotting people like Bill O'Reilly do is so stupid and silly.

MadHatter said:
I'm a yank and I love the French. France is a great place and Parisians are awsome. Instead of saying, "Why do Americans despise the French?", next time say, "Why do some Americans despise the French?" Sorry, don't mean to nit-pick, but I think the anti-French crap and the boycotting people like Bill O'Reilly do is so stupid and silly.

I've said "some" in the past :E. My comments were mostly directed at a certain type of american in our community

Back