Baracading in HL2

Deacon

Reaction score
i noticed in the E3 movie that freeman blocks the stairs with two mattresses and other items but he uses the gun which can pic items up does anyone know weather u got to use that gun to push things or would you be able to walk into them and push them without using the weapon any opinions please post :)

You need lessons on sentence structuring, where the hell are your punctuations?!

I think its depends on the objects weight.

Ehh. He pushed a table on the first floor of the same building.

Originally posted by Insert
I think its depends on the objects weight.

But in the vid where he pushed the mattereses down. It seemed like he was able to push it down without using the weap, but he used it just to speed things up.

I hope so be alot better if you don't need to use the gun to block places.

The Source engine is a world. Everything acts like IRL (almost everything at least), the physics are as real as Valve could make them.

Have you all seen the 4th Gamespot video (the clip that wasn't included in the 600mb video at Fileplanet)? There are little flying robot helicopter-thingies attacking Gordon, and he uses the crowbar to close a gate in front of him to block them off. The way he does it, it seems that he can manipulate some things with the crowbar without having to have the object directly in front of him (ie, he doesn't need to push it with his whole body), or use the manipulator gun.

Hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean if you watch the video.
-kanuk

the gun is just that, a gun. It lets you manipulate objects as weapons, you can prolly push stuff if you're not going ot use them as projectiles

Originally posted by djkanuk
Have you all seen the 4th Gamespot video (the clip that wasn't included in the 600mb video at Fileplanet)? There are little flying robot helicopter-thingies attacking Gordon, and he uses the crowbar to close a gate in front of him to block them off. The way he does it, it seems that he can manipulate some things with the crowbar without having to have the object directly in front of him (ie, he doesn't need to push it with his whole body), or use the manipulator gun.

Hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean if you watch the video.
-kanuk

I can see what you mean, but I'm pretty sure you use the Use key to open/close doors. You can tell because in the clip where Gordon pushes the table in front of the door, before it closes he stands still and you can hear the sound of the Use key (the weird echoey sound straight from HL), then he walks closer and then the door swings closed.

do you have to be a memeber of gamespot inorder to download
the movie?

yeah i noticed that too stigmata. you hear the door close after he hits the use key. although, i dont think you have to "use" the things you push, ie. the table... but who knows

Uh he walks into several things and pushes them in the same clip you are talking about (the one where he blocks the stairs.) First he pushes the table in front of the door with his body by walking into it. Second he turns the propeller blade on the zombine chopper thing a little by walking into it.

As for the gate in the 4th gamespot vid. I'm sure you still open and close doors (and gates) with the "use" key the same way as HL1. He does this when he closes the door before pushing the table in front of it and hes not holding the crowbar. It would just be too anoying to have to open and close doors with the gravity gun or something.

-Straylight

yeah. i dont think they would make you walk into doors to open/close them. as for the blade thing i think he probably hit use on that rather than walking into it. because if you watch where he blocks the door you cant really hear the use sound when he closes the door, so im guessing it's the same deal.

HL1 allows you to design doors to open/close on USE or by TOUCH, so depending upon map design it could be either. For Deathmatch/online, touch is faster and a better match for the kind of play. SP is usually by USE.

Originally posted by Rascall
Ehh. He pushed a table on the first floor of the same building.

he also pushed down the computer screen form the desk in the clip when Gordon is talking with Alyx and the Doc

I hope that Heavy object take longer to push and if there too heavy you can't push em with the physics system they got they will prob do that :D

Originally posted by Straylight
Uh he walks into several things and pushes them in the same clip you are talking about (the one where he blocks the stairs.) First he pushes the table in front of the door with his body by walking into it. Second he turns the propeller blade on the zombine chopper thing a little by walking into it.

No, switches are definatly USE items. In every game. This is because they will usually do something that you have to be prepared for, not just randomly walk past.

Tables and stuff will be push items. Opening INWARD doors will probably be a USE item, as it was a big problem in half life 1 as it pissed everyone off. OUTWARD opening doors can possibly be a push item. Door closing will definatly have to be a USE item, especially if your closing an outwardly opening door.

No but before the zombies come out he does walk into the blade and it moves with him.

Oh yes absolutly, thats why i think tables are push items.

My friend is always pissed off that games dont show your feet when you look down.

Back