Best modem for Comcast?

DEATHMASTER

The Freeman
Reaction score
So we'll be trying out Comcast cable internet and if we decide to keep it, it will be best to buy our own modem since they would otherwise rent theirs. Currently we have 1 computer connected via ethernet and up to 3 connected wirelessly (you can see how this can be a speed problem with our current 1Mbps DSL). Which cable modem would be best for the 50Mbps speed?

Just use theirs. That way every time they upgrade the lines you can get the upgraded modem/router without having to buy a new one yourself. Unless they're charging a ridiculous amount.

$7/month. I figure if we do end up keeping it, one of these $60 things on amazon is bound to do the job. How often would their 'upgrades' interfere with a self bought modem? In the last 4 years with Verizon I had to have the modem replaced twice due to slow speeds (upgraded network related). But they've never charged monthly for them or for the replacements.

Depends on throughput on the modem you're buying, I would think. As long as the internet speed you're buying doesn't exceed what the modem can do you should be fine.

Do find out, though, whether it can handle IPv6 or not, because if your modem can't then it's got a very short lifespan in the coming years.

Back