Which had the better ending battle?

• Half-Life 2

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • Half-Life 2: Episode 2

Votes: 37 71.2%

• Total voters

Whatthecell

Reaction score
Which game in your opinion had the better Final Battle: The original Half-Life 2 with its fight in the Citadel, with the Super Gravity Gun, or Half-Life 2: Episode 2, with its frantic Strider defense, with the Magnussun devices?

Hmmm.

I'd have to say that the original battle in HL2 at the Citadel had, maybe, more of an impact than EP2.

But when put into context, I think the EP2 fight wins out.

It was epic. You rarely got to fight striders before. Couple of them here and there, nothing THAT special.

It was the chaos that made it so great for me. I felt I HAD to kill off the hunters first, else I wouldnt get a chance to aim properly at the Striders. Then there's the frantic sprint/drive to get ahead of them, grab a device and fire it at the strider properly.

And my jaw dropped when one of them blew the house apart in the middle of the map as I ran outside.

Yeah, EP2's finale was awesome.

Don't really care for either. Episode 2 was cool and all, but come on, it's another strider battle. The house explosions where cool and all, but I don't know. Stuff missing. Half life 2 though never really feelt that it was a challenge with the blue gravitygun. It was fun and all, throwing ragdolls around, but meh. I lost when playing on hard like once, but I don't really like it when you have to put a game on hardest settings just to feel challenged.

Definitely the Episode 2 one.. wait, was HL2's ending even classified as a "boss" battle?
Yeah, it had an emotional impact and some aiming here and there but, really, not a battle. I'd say you put Episode 1's Strider battle on the list too; that one was, I guess, better than the HL2 one.

IMO both sucked, the HL2 one is simply boring, and the EP2 one is incredibly hard(I have to admit that I needed cheats to win it)

The Episode Two ending was more fun, in my opinion. You actually were able to ride around in a vehicle, running over Hunters and avoiding Striders' dangerous legs.

IMO both sucked, the HL2 one is simply boring, and the EP2 one is incredibly hard(I have to admit that I needed cheats to win it)

you're on halflife2.net

EP2, because I knew what to do. It took a couple of attempts in HL2 to beat the end because I wasn't sure what to shoot at. Also, I'd been hoping for a massive strider attack once I'd taken a couple loners out in the previous games.

^ I agree.

Though the EP2 battle was a little more frustrating for me (mainly because of my lack of patience), it was more fun because of the more complex strategy involved.

EP2 battle was a better fight (and not frustrating at all! I wish they hadn't removed the Combine soldiers TBH) but HL2's was more atmospheric and felt more important.

They were both tremendous fun.

I still don't understand why Valve never implemented some kind of recognizable boss in HL2 and so on.

A mature headcrab zombie wouldn't be such a bad idea. Perhaps one that possessed both speed and endurance, running around the place.

The finale in EP1 was a terrific opportunity to implement some kind of boss as well. Perhaps the crab synths that we saw in HL2.

EP2 battle was a better fight (and not frustrating at all! I wish they hadn't removed the Combine soldiers TBH) but HL2's was more atmospheric and felt more important.

They were both tremendous fun.

This. It might've been even more epic with a Gunship thrown in.

I still don't understand why Valve never implemented some kind of recognizable boss in HL2 and so on.

A mature headcrab zombie wouldn't be such a bad idea. Perhaps one that possessed both speed and endurance, running around the place.

The finale in EP1 was a terrific opportunity to implement some kind of boss as well. Perhaps the crab synths that we saw in HL2.

If you asked this before the release of HL2 and while Half-Life was still widely played, I'd have nothing against this idea. But, now seeing as games that are aiming for realism that use this are so little and the idea looks not that fun anymore, I'd be against. But it won't fit in HL2 and the episodes' storyline anyway.
It was cool fighting the Nihilanth though, but then Half-Life's athmosphere and style contributed.
Besides, boss battles were popular for one of the first game titles and around the end of the 90s.

Perhaps a Garg in a fez riding on a little bicycle?
I'm not sure whether I'm actually serious about that. Don't lie, you'd want to play it at least once.

Episode 2 was the first Half Life battle since the Nihilanth that actually felt like it was an epic battle. I had one Strider left which was so close to the silo, Hunters all around it, and I'd just saved the game ... it took me about 5 tries, but I managed to jump in the car, drive over a hill, slam into a Hunter, jumped out, shot another Hunter in the face, and just as the Strider was getting ready to shoot, pulled out my pistol and detonated the Magnusson.

Seriously, it's one of my all time favourite gaming moments. I think the fact that the battle seems so difficult the first time you try it contributes to that; real sense of achievement when you beat it.

Episode 2 was the first Half Life battle since the Nihilanth that actually felt like it was an epic battle.
When people say stuff like this it makes me think they've just forgotten what happened in HL2 because it's been so long. Did you noclip through 'Follow Freeman!' or what??

As for the better final battle, it's 50/50 for me. Ep2's has the advantage of the car, but it didn't feel like much like it fitted believably into the plot.

When people say stuff like this it makes me think they've just forgotten what happened in HL2 because it's been so long. Did you noclip through 'Follow Freeman!' or what??
Follow Freeman was a good chapter, but it didn't feel epic. For something to feel like an epic battle, for me, it has to feel like you're going against overwhelming odds. The Nihilanth vs Gordon was that, and so was the battle against the Striders and Hunters. Something so big that you don't know how you're going to take it down when you first encounter it, and then you work hard and try new tactics to get there.

If you asked this before the release of HL2 and while Half-Life was still widely played, I'd have nothing against this idea. But, now seeing as games that are aiming for realism that use this are so little and the idea looks not that fun anymore, I'd be against. But it won't fit in HL2 and the episodes' storyline anyway.
It was cool fighting the Nihilanth though, but then Half-Life's athmosphere and style contributed.
Besides, boss battles were popular for one of the first game titles and around the end of the 90s.

Blast Pit.

HL2 ending was fun even if you were OP as ****. Ep2's strider battle felt sparse, unbelievable, and frustrating.

Yeah maybe it was just me but the HL2 fight wasn't very intuitive. It took me a minute to figure out what exactly I had to in the situation and it was timed (albeit a long time). In Episode 2 it was all laid out an quite exciting. Driving that car, while a little wonky at times, was a lot of fun and hunters are scary all the time. In all my attempts I never got close to saving all the places though. Maybe if I did it on easy.

Did anyone talk about Episode one yet? That wasn't even a fight it was just run around a Strider in a confined space until you get rockets and kill it. I don't think any of them are really boss battles though. Hopefully Episode 3 will be a real boss battle.

The final battle in HL2 is, to me, the battle on the rooftops with the striders. After that, it's all very easy.

The striders were fun to kill, but the hunters ruined my gaming experiance. On the hardest difficulty, it was a throng of atleast four hunters to a strider, and all I had was some ammunition scraps I pillaged from the derelict rubble of smashed up buildings which shouldn't have even been touched, but rather layed to waste as the strider casually strolled past which his pack of hunters destroying any magnusson device in a two mile proximity(ok, maybe not two mile, but meh...).

Don't even mention the possibility of trying to ram the hunters down with the muscle car: the damage I sustain from the striders secondary arnament is ridiculous: It actually fires at my avatar when I try to aproach it on a vehicle, and besides, the Hunters rip the autmobile apart and then the game ends and the player is given a message somwhere along the lines of "Failing to perserve vital mission resources".

The muscle car is indestructible. The only way you can lose it, is to drive it into the abyss below the bridge in Freeman Pontifex. That message is given when a strider gets close to the silo. And it gets a lot easier when you realize the big logs lying about.

The muscle car can be destroyed in numerous differant ways, but one extra detail must be noted: The muscle car has a retarded amount of hit points.

I think the final battle against the Antlions in This Vortal Coil was vastly superior to any other climax in the Half-Life 2 series.

Music was badass. Enemies were badass. Buddies were DEFINITELY badass.

hl2ep2pic4.jpg

Episode Two

Back