Bios update failed...halp.

ajezard

Reaction score
Ok, so you might of read my other post about my MSi Wind graphics problems, well I found a fix on another website, wich was to update the bios. Id never updated the bios before so I made sure to read everything carefully and follow all the steps as said excactly. But when I ran the bios update the fan started making a really loud noise, I wasnt sure if this was normal or not but the percentage was going up so i left it, but then it just cut out at 66% and now it wont turn on at all, the power button wont do anything at all. Iv'e tried everything I could think of and still I have no response... please help!

I don't know what to tell you. I found some information (I thought it was at MSI.com) about [my] BIOS being able to revert or repair itself. That's all I know. (I have an MSI motherboard). I didn't really study it since I didn't need to.

MSI's website may have some information under support regarding such a feature if your computer has it.

EDIT: oh, check MSI Forums.

Call MSI and tell them exactly what happened. Surely they can help you.

Thanks, I'll try emailing them, see what they say.

NP.

I would take a quick check MSI forums first, just to get a vague idea - see if anything jumps out at you. You could sign up and ask, but it might be much less stressful to talk to someone from MSI on the phone rather than searching though the forums.

Failed BIOS updates can be fixed most of the time by taking out the Cmos battery for a good 20 minutes. Really, 20 minutes. Put it back it and try again.

Indeed, search for that on the MSI forums. The cmos battery might be tricky to get to unfortunately so you'll be taking it apart. Look for a guide or some pictures on their forums. Make sure you are clear before you start.

Glenn, you forgot to tell him not to go into a full panic attack, right?

If youve emailed them, expect a good couple of days wait.

As with joining the forums, it will take a day or 2 before someone posts a proper response. Like here on Helplife2.net.

Personally I would call them. If you get put through to a laptop in India, just hang up as they'll have no idea what youre talking about anyway.

Calling ensures you get passed on to someone who knows what theyre talking about at least. And if they dont know who to put you through to, ask for their supervisor, then manager if need be etc etc.

Kick up a fuss. Its their product thats at fault, provided its a certified MSI update and not from a 3rd party site.

Emails sit in inboxes and get answered when someone can be bothered to do it when they come back from a cig break.

Phonecalls can take a while, but atleast someone can actually talk you through the solution right there and then when you have the PC infront of you.

You'll have to do alot of explaining about whats infront of you, but its better than playing the email game.

Yay! I took it back to the store i brought it from and they said the only thing I could do was send it to MSI for repairs, so I did, and now I've got it back and OMG they did an amazing job, they are now my favourite pc/laptop company!! :D It turned out that actually it wasnt only the bios that was the problem, while i was installing the bios the CPU overheated. But MSI were nice enought to replace the CPU and the motherboard, they also replaced the top plastic cover (where the MSI logo is) Because it had a huge scratch on it and they cleaned th whole system for me! thanks for the help guys and remember, If your buying a laptop or notebook, think MSI!

Back